RFI wind river range - mid September.

I have a backpacking trip planned the 2nd and 3rd weeks in September. Looking at Cirque of the Towers or Titcomb basin. Driving up from Denver.

any info is appreciated:

weather And temps?
bears and critters?
gear thoughts?

Weather and temps: That time of the year I’ve been in short sleeves and I’ve also woken up to enough snow that I was concerned about getting out. At the least, it’ll be cold at night. Hopefully it’ll be freezing at night because that keeps the mosquitos down.
Bears: definitely black bears in both of those locations. Grizz are in the northern part of the range, sightings in Titcomb area for sure.
Gear thoughts: bring wag bags and pack your shit out, both of those areas are heavily used. Also, bring a light trad rack and climb the NW ridge of Ellingwood, it may be the best moderate alpine climbing in the US. What gear questions do you have specifically?

wesfromky

WKR
I did haystack (just outside of the Cirque) several years ago in July, and the one thing that I remember the most was just how crazy the mosquitoes were. Like nothing I have ever seen.

I did haystack (just outside of the Cirque) several years ago in July, and the one thing that I remember the most was just how crazy the mosquitoes were. Like nothing I have ever seen.
I love the Deep lake cirque area. Seeing Temple Peak hanging above the lake is pretty breathtaking, and the massive amount of granite on Haystack. Yeah, the Winds are known for their legendary mosquitos.

Same as zion, September trips to the Winds have been both perfect, and slightly worrisome due to being 30 miles from the truck when it starts snowing. If I remember correctly there is only one pass to get over into the Titcomb Basin but it would still be a super long day (or two) to get out if the weather went south. Just take a really hard look at the extended forecast the day before you go in.

I would bring trekking poles and maybe gaiters just in case.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Made two September trips to the Winds, Cirque and Deep Lake. Both trips were during that 2nd to 3rd week timeframe. Be prepared for shoulder season weather, as already stated. Usually it has already been cold enough to reduce the skeeters. You’ll likely experience a mix of sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, thunderstorms…everything.

My trips were over ten years back so I can only imagine it’s more crowded now. Both times the parking lot was at capacity.

OP
Desk Jockey
I hear enough good things about the fishing to bring poles. Gearing up for weather ranging from sunny and mild to light snow. Trying to figure out what level of crampon or traction device I should bring.