Ridgeline 6.5CM - Mount Question

whaack

WKR
It's been 20+ years since I was serious into firearms. Went down a long (fun) and rewarding "archery only" path for the past couple decades but I'm returning to my roots and got a nice rifle, at lease for me.

My setup is a CA Ridgeline, 6.5CM with a Leupold VX5 3-15x44. This will be a deer, muley, pronghorn rifle and I will take it to CO for elk next year. I plan to keep my elk shots 600 yards or less and probably the same for deer sized critters.

Here is my question - If my shots will be sub 600 yards but i would like to practice out to 1000 do I need rings with 20 or 25 MOA? My scope says it has 75 MOA of elevation adjustment. Do I benefit anything by going with rings that are 0, 20, or 25 MOA based on the above info?

The two rings I'm looking at are Hawkins Hybrid Rings or Talley Lightweight Rings. Thanks for your help, I feel like I'm riding a bike again for the firs time in a LONG time.

rootacres

WKR
In my experience with a Ridgeline that doesn’t shoot as flat as a 6.5 cm I did not need a 20 moa mount. I used the DNZ game reaper on mine. Used both 1” and 30mm scopes out to 600 easily. I just sold my CA for a custom build and don’t use the DNZ rings anymore due to having an integrated rail. I actually think I still have the rings of your interested.

slowelk

WKR
75 moa of adjustment is the total. You’ll have probably somewhere around 35 up and 35 down after zeroing with a zero moa base. If you have a muzzle velocity of greater than 2600fps (depending on your elevation) you will get to 1k without additional moa in your bases.

If you’re shooting factory ammo, use a ballistics calculator, plug the stats from the box as a guideline to see how much moa you will need to shoot to 1k with your average conditions (elevation, humidity, temp, etc.). That will help you determine for yourself if you need additional moa.

All that said, it doesn’t hurt anything to have additional moa built into your bases.

You could do 600 easily without extra elevation built into your scope mount. But 1000 could be pushing right at the limits depending upon how much of your available elevation you use getting your scope dialed in at 100. Just as stated above. Depending on your environmental conditions and ballistic data you might be looking at every bit of available elevation correction. Plus you loose a little bit of elevation dialing if you have to dial much in the way of a windage correction.

Don't cheap out on the rings. Its easy to think they are simple and shouldn't cost much.
But they are very critical to and accurate and repeatable rifle.
I have the Hawkins Hybrids with level on a custom and would highly recommend them.
Seekins, Ziess and the high end vortex rings which are rebranded seekins are nice.
Yes the scope is advertised t have 75 moa.
But that is total from top to bottom so 37.5 from center.
You may not need built in moa to make your hits but the closer to center of your travel the happier your scope will be.
Pretty much everything is happier in the medium then on an extreme end.
I don't see how having 20 moa built in could hurt ya.
Other then possibly your wallet.

You could do 600 easily without extra elevation built into your scope mount. But 1000 could be pushing right at the limits depending upon how much of your available elevation you use getting your scope dialed in at 100. Just as stated above. Depending on your environmental conditions and ballistic data you might be looking at every bit of available elevation correction. Plus you loose a little bit of elevation dialing if you have to dial much in the way of a windage correction.

Plus once he makes hits at 1k he will be like wait what about 1200 😁

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
Thx everyone. Went with seekins 0 moa rail and seekins precision rings.

Sightin this week.