Ridgway area GMU 65

sotxks

FNG
Headed up to GMU 65 in a few weeks. Just wanted to check in to see if anyone has hunted this area or heard of any success so far this year. We will be hunting the west side of the unit. We have deer and elk tags. TIA

OP
S

sotxks

FNG
I apologize, I’ve been a member for about 4-5 years. It had been awhile since I had been on here and couldn’t remember/find my login. I made a new login this morning. I try to offer up what I know and my experiences when I can. Sorry, just hunting a new area and trying to see if anyone has had any success in this area and what they did. Not looking for personal “spots” or anything.

chasewild

WKR
Personal "spots" get ruined by post after post on GMU numbers. THe other 65 thread has already dumped more information into the web than I am personally thrilled with. Just go. get up early, stay up late, walk a lot, glass more, eat some food, drink water, study a map or two, and please, whatever you do, don't make a f&cking youtube if you're successful.

Good luck.

tdhanses

WKR
I can verify the unit has elk, other then that just go and figure it out, we all had to do this at some point.

I can verify the unit has elk, other then that just go and figure it out, we all had to do this at some point.

To me, one of the fun parts other than figuring out how to hunt them (other than the slew of information available on how too) is learning and figuring out on my own, where to hunt knowing that occasionally I may have to eat tag soup. The gratification of figuring it out on your own is a great feeling and I don’t have to put an asterisk beside my success stories because someone else told me where to go or how to do it. The scouting, pouring over maps, GE, topo’s etc is half the fun. Then you have 25% of the fun hunting and killing, and 25% field dressing and packing. Damn I love elk hunting!

Salty today :)

It’s kinda a love hate for me on here. Loads of great information, but that kinda takes away the advantages I’ve worked toward.

My feeling is sharing and talking elk is awesome. Just don’t get too specific on locations. And if all my spots and “advantages” get given away, I guess I’ll just have to get good and find more “advantages”.

I know nothing about any unit in CO. I’m no help.

OP
S

sotxks

FNG
I realize its a rough crowd, figured I'd ask anyway.

We are back with three muleys and two elk out of 7 hunters. Weather was in our favor, front and snow helped, moon started complicate things. All in all it was a good hunt.

Good Luck the rest of the season to you all.

chasewild

WKR
I realize its a rough crowd, figured I'd ask anyway.

We are back with three muleys and two elk out of 7 hunters. Weather was in our favor, front and snow helped, moon started complicate things. All in all it was a good hunt.

Good Luck the rest of the season to you all.
Of course you came back and posted success for every other "not looking for a honey hole" lurker to scavenge. Nice job.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Might give Ralph Lauren a call and see what kind of info he can give you on the elk in that area.

OP
S

sotxks

FNG
Tbh, if it wasn’t for the weather and moon lining up for us, it would have been a pretty depressing hunt. We hunted majority private land.