Rifle accurizing service recommendation

I want to have a factory rifle accurized. I have tried to trouble shoot it myself. No luck.

I was going to send it to Hill Country rifles but they no longer offer anything but “deluxe accurizing” which includes a new barrel ands runs $1600. A good value for sure but I really do not want to spend $1600 on a $1000 rifle.

I would like to know if anyone has real world positive experience with a gunsmith who provides a traditional accurizing services without barrel replacement. Just looking for a recommendation.

C

Wrench

WKR
Where are you, what have you done and what scopes (yes plural) have you tried?

What do you expect to spend?

OP
C
Cleaned the brand new rifle. I mounted a new leupold vx3i (used mounting kit, lapped and used a torque wrench to get everything to spec). Horrible accuracy. Mounted an old scope that has always shot using the same method. Still horrible. Checked torque on screws connecting bottom metal to action...non issue. Barrel is properly free floated. No visible defect in crown.

I have shot multiple brands of factory ammo and bullet weights. Getting horrible groups. I am not a sniper by any stretch but I can normally print 1 inch groups with
my other hunting rifles using factory ammo.

I have not done anything as far as bedding. I have not checked the chamber or barrel as that is beyond my skill level to check and if there is a problem I would prefer to have a gunsmith address it.

I am willing to spend between $500 to $750. That is what most services I have found online a running.

I am in eastern Oregon.

C

May want to reach out to Paul @ Best of the West AZ. I'm not quite sure of the costs or options, but I have hunted with hunters who had him do their's and they've been happy.

Wrench

WKR
Before you spend money....

Check your action screws and make sure they don't touch the barrel. Blacken the end with a candle or sharpie and retorque....remove and check.

Check your base screws for bottoming using the same method. The through holes touching the bolt or barrel can make huge differences.

Make sure the mag box can move. Binding mag box with bottom metal is an accuracy destroyer.

Make sure the rear action screw is not stupid tight.

Check those things before you spend your money.

Both scopes are tracking and focusing well i assume.

wildcat33

WKR
Sell it and buy a different rifle and you will come out money ahead.

This. Many different ideas of what "accurizing" means. Not knowing what gun it is, and assuming its not any of the issues already mentioned (i.e. mag box binding, scope, torque, bolt length), you are most likely looking at truing the action next. At a bare minimum a smith will square the face of the action, likely requiring work to set back the barrel for proper headspace. At this point, it would be silly to re-use the old barrel. So we are talking adding a new barrel, then pillar bedding, and on and on and $$$

OP
C
The accurizing I was thinking of would be
1. Aluminum pillar and glass bed action and bottom metal.
2. Complete action job square and true.
3. Check / recess crown.
4. Tune factory trigger.
5. Lap and mount scope.

C

amassi

WKR
Unless some sentimental value I'd send it back to browning and let them fix it. If it still didnt meet your expectations send it down the road and start fresh.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Sounds like you are the right track if you choose to go that route.

Recent post on M70 smiths:

I use kevin weaver, and can attest he is a great guy and does great work.

The accurizing I was thinking of would be
1. Aluminum pillar and glass bed action and bottom metal.
2. Complete action job square and true.
3. Check / recess crown.
4. Tune factory trigger.
5. Lap and mount scope.

C

No amount of any of the above is going to remedy the barrel. Either sell it or have it rebarreled. Cheapo rifles with plastic stocks shoot just fine because they have a decent barrel, nice rifles can shoot poorly because they have a junk barrel, regardless of whatever you try to do with them.

OP
C
Weiser Bucks,

I appreciate the advice. However, I do not understand how your reaching the conclusion that a bad barrel is what is causing my accuracy problem. It seems like there are a lot of thing that could be causing issues. Can you explain why you think it is the barrel?

C