Rifle accurizing service recommendation

BBob

WKR
Factory barrels can be the biggest crap shoot ever. Save your cash and have a reputable shop that backs up their work do the full service and install a name brand quality aftermarket barrel. Your odds of a getting a good shooter will go up immensely.

eamyrick

WKR
Save your money and sell me the action for cheap and I’ll build a custom off it. I’ve been down this road way too many times with factory rifles. I use Tumbleweeds Custom in Round Rock, Texas. He is very reasonable and does awesome work. At the end of the day you are looking at 600 minimum for a new barrel installed.

Not sure if you are on the 24hrcampfire website?? If you are I'd contact Lee his moniker is "Redneck" on the forum there, he is really reasonable on price and Winchester rifles are his specialty. I'd see if you can get a hold of him and explain whats going on with your rifle. I bet he can figure out what the problem is.
If not on there, I believe his name is Lee Christianson in WI, you can find him on the innerweb.
Good luck to you!

rayporter

WKR
rebarrel!
any smithy worth has salt will check just bout every thing you want checked before it goes out the door after a rebarrel. bedding will cost extra.

i just hate to say sell. but i wont tolerate a junk rifle.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you sell and buy another rifle in the $600 range and start from there with a new stock/barrel/trigger/action with something that already shoots moa so you are not behind the eight ball so to speak. You could chase your tail all day and before you know it you spent $2k+ and could have a semi custom rifle for the same price as what you have into this model 70 featherweight. That’s my 2 cents so take it for what it’s worth.

gbflyer

WKR
Because:
Non bedded rifles shoot fine
Non squared/non trued actions shoot fine
Sloppy crowns shoot fine
Stock triggers shoot fine
Non lapped scope rings shoot fine

Junk barrels don't

That pretty much cuts through the BS right there. Agree 100%.

I want to have a factory rifle accurized. I have tried to trouble shoot it myself. No luck.

I was going to send it to Hill Country rifles but they no longer offer anything but “deluxe accurizing” which includes a new barrel ands runs $1600. A good value for sure but I really do not want to spend $1600 on a $1000 rifle.

I would like to know if anyone has real world positive experience with a gunsmith who provides a traditional accurizing services without barrel replacement. Just looking for a recommendation.

C
I would recommend Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision Rifles in Spring, TX. He’s fantastic, knowledgeable, and does fantastic work. I had an issue with my Rem 700 .270. Not only did he help me, but he did more than I originally asked him to do, for an incredulous fair price.

Wrench

WKR
I gave you some free advice. Try that before you trip it. If you bind up a $6k custom.....it too will shoot like shit.

If it does nothing you're only out an hour of your life.... but it may solve your problems.

No amount of any of the above is going to remedy the barrel. Either sell it or have it rebarreled. Cheapo rifles with plastic stocks shoot just fine because they have a decent barrel, nice rifles can shoot poorly because they have a junk barrel, regardless of whatever you try to do with them.

Agreed.

Traditional "accurizing" services without a new barrel are basically just looking to eliminate defects that shouldn't exist in the first place. In effect you'd be paying for something that you shouldn't have to.

wapitibob

WKR
If you spent $1,000 on a rifle and it doesn't shoot 1" groups out of the box, I'd sell it or throw it away.

Oregunsmithing is in Pendleton and does good work.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
All those offering advice of "Sell".... Just who do you suggest he sells this boat anchor to?

If looking to rebarrel, I’d reach out to Lee Christiansen, Mark Penrod, Kevin Weaver, or Karl Kampfield. Wait times with them will be longer than most but well worth it. I’d most certainly avoid the big name 3 letter initialed shop in SD based on my experience...

cooperjd

WKR
1. Aluminum pillar and glass bed action and bottom metal. --$175
2. Complete action job square and true. --$175 for the action, extra to install barrel and re-cut chamber, 100-200?
3. Check / recess crown. --$45
4. Tune factory trigger.--$25
5. Lap and mount scope. --$40

You can quickly get into over $500 bucks doing this, that may or may not fix your issues. I got these prices from high tech customs in CO Springs, Richie is who i use when i need work one.

I would try the simple stuff first, the stuff you can do. Check the mag box and bolts as suggested, if you have a little torque wrench you can try torque tuning your action screws. If nothing you can do fixes it; i would either sell it or contact winchester. If they have any kind of moa guarantee i may call them first before doing anything else.

You can temporary bed it with bondo if it shows accuracy improvement do it with marineTex. If it doesn’t work chip out the bondo and scratch that off the list off possibilities. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as most on here but I had a Rem700 7mm Mag my buddy had me look at never shot under 3 inch groups I swapped scope same thing, put on new rail and rings same. So I temp bedded lug and tang with bondo and it was a little over an inch so I cleaned it all out and did a full bedding job with marine Tex and now it shoots factory stuff at .7 and handloads better.

Wrench

WKR
You can temporary bed it with bondo if it shows accuracy improvement do it with marineTex. If it doesn’t work chip out the bondo and scratch that off the list off possibilities. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as most on here but I had a Rem700 7mm Mag my buddy had me look at never shot under 3 inch groups I swapped scope same thing, put on new rail and rings same. So I temp bedded lug and tang with bondo and it was a little over an inch so I cleaned it all out and did a full bedding job with marine Tex and now it shoots factory stuff at .7 and handloads better.

This is true, but understand that bondo has a high shrinkage rate and will come up short of traditional bedding. If it shows improvement, don't take that as full potential....bondo will leave some on the table.

This is true, but understand that bondo has a high shrinkage rate and will come up short of traditional bedding. If it shows improvement, don't take that as full potential....bondo will leave some on the table.

exactly I just wanted to see if it showed any improvement at all and if it did I was going to bed it. I was a little over an inch with bondo on lug and tang and then did it all with MarineTex and got that down to .7. Huge improvement from 3 inch groups originally