Rifle advice

Elkhntr08

WKR
Getting ammo shipped to Illinois is a pain, but not impossible. Yet. I have rounds shipped once in a while.

WKR
Being from the Midwest, I’ve never had a need for a centerfire for my hunting. I picked up a .280 M77(to good of a deal to pass up), but ammo is fairly expensive and very hard to find. I’ve bought the only two boxes I’ve found. I’m thinking I need to buy another rifle with more accessible/cheaper ammo and less recoil to get more practice in. Some buddies and I are planning to start hunting out west, and I need to get a lot of trigger time in(I’ve never shot over 100 yards). I’m torn between getting rid of the .280 and going with a 6.5 creedmoor as a deer rifle and buying a bigger rifle down the road if we decide to try elk, my other thought is buying a .223 bolt gun as a practice rifle and keeping the .280. What are your guy’s thought? Any better options? Thanks
No need for a bigger rifle for elk. As mentioned a 22lr and a 280 for everything else. Now is one of those times when ammo is available and low cost. I'd find a factory load that worked and buy a minimum of 10 boxes of it, probably more actually. The time will come, perhaps not in the distant future, where you will be wishing you had.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I’m in the process of getting my hands on as many as possible to try out, hoping it’ll shoot the federal premium partition load. After that I’ll start the stock pile lol

howl

WKR
If you stock up by the case, be sure to get the same lot number as what made good groups for you.

TauPhi111

WKR
Another option would be to get a smith to rechamber your barrel to 7mm Rem mag and open up your bolt face. 7mm RM is way more common than 280. But I do agree with the others that ordering ammo online is not hard.