Rifle and caliber to bridge the gap

Not knowing additional information at this point, if the brass was full length sized, and set the shoulder back just a bit too much, that could create a bit of headspace where the firing pin pushes the case forward a small amount with the initial energy of the firing pin which lessens the striking force on the primer.

Jamming the bullet into the lands to get it to fire consistently says there was case movement in the chamber. Movement in the chamber is the only thing that makes sense (at this point) as the headspace was checked out by multiple gunsmiths and deemed to be fine. To me, that rules out the chamber/headspace itself being out of spec.

Not necessarily anything on the part of the reloader, could've been the die itself.

Only speculation, looking forward to hearing the type of brass/loads it happened with.

Last edited:
It happened on factory ammo and reloads. Some did better than others- Remington factory had FTF. The last box of Fusions I tried seemed better with 10 in a row firing.

I tried new un- fired brass, and fired formed with very minimal shoulder touch. It really didn’t like light loads with 180gr bullets for some reason.

The gunsmiths changed the fire pin, check the protrusion, heavier spring, one reset the barrel, everything we could thing of but never figured it out. When it was a 270 there was never a FTF for over 15 yrs I had it.

So I chalk it up to the “mysterious” headspace issue 🤷🏽‍♂️.

As a 9.3x62 it’s been 100% so far but have only shot a box through it

Bridge between 7mm Rem and 30-06? That's kinda narrow territory I think. The 7mm should be fine for any of those you mentioned, unless maybe you're talking large brown bears.

I'd say terminal performance between 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 is more alike than different. 7mm will shoot flatter, and 30-06 will shoot some bigger bullets...but they're kinda in the same ballpark when it comes to bigger game at most reasonable ranges.

If you're talking about big bears, or really just want a hammer for moose, then then maybe the 300 mags, or 338s and up would be a difference.

What about the 7.5mm-‘06 Ackley Improved? 😀

As soon as someone makes bullets and barrels for it that will bridge the gap

Bighorse

WKR
The gap I'd be crossing is between you and the animal! The function of the weapon in regards to durability and dependability is paramount. Next is your capacity to hold steady using the 7mag to take advantage of the range: IE load development, stock fit, optic/turret precision. So I say load the 30-06 heavy with a 200g projectile and put a fixed scope on it for close range performance (your brush gun). Take the 7mag and rig it up for long range performance (600yrds) Get a laser range finder and set reasonable field parameters and locate a quality target. Practice and preparation will have you in the field trained and prepared for target acquisition and elimination using the weapons you already own.

But if you have to buy another gun........a .416 is where I'd head