Rifle and manufacturing quality today

OP
Mr. October
I'd love to. Unfortunately it would be a 70 minute commute, so I don't think it is likely.
If it helps, until the COVID-19 "work from home" drill I used to drive 60 minute every day to a job I hate. At least this would be a good one. :)

11boo

WKR
It’s got to be frustrating paying good money for something like that and having issues, particularly when ruger is cranking out Americans so cheap and boringly accurate.

It’s got to be frustrating paying good money for something like that and having issues, particularly when ruger is cranking out Americans so cheap and boringly accurate.

You'd think if they could get something that cheap to be that accurate they'd be able to make a magazine that works reliably. Or in the case of an American rimfire, one that ejects reliably.

Shrek

WKR
I don’t think in terms of factory rifles anymore. Call Pierce or Borden and get a superb quality action. Have it cut for the magazine box of your choice. Buy a fantastic barrel from Rock Creek , Bartlien , Krieger , etc. A Jewell trigger and bottom metal of choice. A good stock that suits you. Send it off to a really good accuracy smith like Alex Wheeler. Just change out the barrel when it’s toast for the rest of your life. Buying a factory rifle is a crap shoot. It’s like trying to make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

As others have said, there are a bounty of cheap rifles that shoot really well. For most of us, the difference between 1 MOA and 1/2 MOA is not relevant for many reasons. Perhaps many moons ago the differences were larger between the entry level and higher end rifles.

I'm not saying that better rifles don't exist. They certainly do and there is more to it than just MOA. But, there is only a small gain (which could important at extended distances) when moving from a $500 rifle to a $2500 rifle. And, if I am going to spend $2500 I am probably going to have a local smith build it for me.

Rodéo

WKR
I feel lucky when I read posts like this... 2/2 on factory bolt action rifles in terms of sub-moa accuracy. Howa 1500 and Mauser M18. Both $400 and shoot <1 inch groups.

Would really suck to buy a rifle for ~$1000 and not be able to get sub-MOA out of the box. Hope they take care of you but I wouldn't let it deter you from buying another "cheap" factory rifle like Howa/Mauser/Tikka

amassi

WKR
I'd find an outfit that is hot rodding tikka actions like hells canyon and let er rip. Wont be much more than your ca and you know you'll have a shooter built to your specs

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fwiw my Barrett fieldcraft is an excellent rifle and shoots lights out. Of course its been discontinued. Thay said my 1896 swedish mauser that was sporterized in the 60s still shoots lights out - with its original military barrel.....

eoperator

WKR
I have personally been around 12+ accurate CA rifles and heard from more in person not a single complaint. Roksliders sure seem to rip on them alot, I often wonder what percentage of their rifles actually have problems not optics/mounting/ammo/shooter induced?

CA is putting out large numbers of rifles and growing fast, all it takes is one bad apple (employee) to ruin the whole bag of apples (company) i geuss.

aron

WKR
A high production rifle with "moa guarantee" is nothing more than a marketing play usually done with 3 shots at 50 yds. Quality fails first at the management level with priority given to ship product. Time is money and companies push continuous cost reduction projects to reduce those cycles times or run tools longer.

Each production company is going to have a bad rifle from time to time, but some companies failure rate will be higher. I imagine the higher failure rate is also acceptable to said companies. they damn well are tracking the metrics. Christensen Arms sure pops up a lot lately and not just on Rokslide.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I have personally been around 12+ accurate CA rifles and heard from more in person not a single complaint. Roksliders sure seem to rip on them alot, I often wonder what percentage of their rifles actually have problems not optics/mounting/ammo/shooter induced?

CA is putting out large numbers of rifles and growing fast, all it takes is one bad apple (employee) to ruin the whole bag of apples (company) i geuss.
Seems they had a bad 6.5 prc reamer and go/no go gauges last year. Goes a long way damaging rep when you cant deliver the hot new cartridge

Seems they had a bad 6.5 prc reamer and go/no go gauges last year. Goes a long way damaging rep when you cant deliver the hot new cartridge

I'd like to buy a mesa if they'd just make one in a .30-06. damn hipster barrel burners.

My issue was not an accuracy issue. It was a failure to eject issue. They replaced the bolt with a "new updated" bolt. In the little shooting I have been able to do with it, accuracy is fantastic.

Last edited:
Buy any used gun you find thats in good shape and made about pre-1970. You won’t be disappointed. Usually great manufacturing and quality back then. My favorite firearms to hunt with are my older weapons.

If you don't count .22lr, I have 3 factory rifles and all 3 of them are fantastic. My Tikka CTR is a consistent 1/2MOA shooter and the feeding/bolt operation are flawless. My Cooper is a good midweight traditional rifle as well. In the weight/price class of a Mesa, I have my Barrett Fieldcraft for that. When I was originally looking at lightweight rifles I was thinking I'd get a Christensen but I couldn't resist the allure of the Fieldcraft. When I say it's a $3000+ rifle at a $1800 price point I mean it. The whole setup is 6.75lbs with scope and suppressor on it, and what they did to get 5/8-24 threads on it with the flared 18" barrel was perfect for suppressor use.

I've owned plenty of customs and high end rifles, from my current custom to an Accuracy International AT I sold awhile back. So I do have a decent frame of reference on good rifles. You can definitely still get good factory rifles that punch well above their weight class, it just takes some research.

OP
Mr. October
If you don't count .22lr, I have 3 factory rifles and all 3 of them are fantastic. My Tikka CTR is a consistent 1/2MOA shooter and the feeding/bolt operation are flawless. My Cooper is a good midweight traditional rifle as well. In the weight/price class of a Mesa, I have my Barrett Fieldcraft for that. When I was originally looking at lightweight rifles I was thinking I'd get a Christensen but I couldn't resist the allure of the Fieldcraft. When I say it's a $3000+ rifle at a $1800 price point I mean it. The whole setup is 6.75lbs with scope and suppressor on it, and what they did to get 5/8-24 threads on it with the flared 18" barrel was perfect for suppressor use.

I've owned plenty of customs and high end rifles, from my current custom to an Accuracy International AT I sold awhile back. So I do have a decent frame of reference on good rifles. You can definitely still get good factory rifles that punch well above their weight class, it just takes some research.

It sounds like the fieldcraft is a great rifle. It’s a shame they don’t offer a left-handed action.

Rodéo

WKR

Good point on the 22LR's. My earlier post neglected to mention that one of my factory rifles has been less than stellar. A marlin 60 I bought for about $150. Can't expect too much at that price point but it still shoots lights out at 50 yards with the right ammo. Complaints are all finish issues: plastic-like wood, terrible machining, cheap screws, action jams a lot, etc. But it still shoots decent and it's not like it costs as much as most factory centerfires.