Rifle Barrel length & twist questions

Brad61537

FNG
Hello All,
Looking for some opinions, and or suggestions for my next project. I'm going to be sending in my 7mm Rem Mag to have a new barrel installed. Should I go with a 27' or 28' barrel, and I'm thinking either a 1-7 or 1-8 twist. I'm doing this for long range accuracy, but also to hunt with. It's a small sporter style barrel so I'm not worried about the weight difference. The bullets I reload love a tight twist so I'm thinking 1.7 twist. For the barrel length is there any noticeable gain in going with a 28' over the 27'? I have heard more accuracy & faster fps with the 28' & I've also heard that there was no noticeable difference?
Thank You,
Brad.

WCB

WKR
I think accuracy would be more of a function of the barrels affinity for the bullet and the reloaders capability all things being equal.

Depending on powder a marginal gain in velocity if you are only talking an inch of barrel....20tf per second as an optimistic guess probably less.

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
Thanks for your input, after researching it including talking with the bullet mfg I've decided to go with a 27in barrel & 1-8 twist.

Depends on velocity, which depends on bullet weight and charge.

Slower velocities need to have the spin imparted in a shorter distance to achieve the same stabilizing RPM.

GotDraw?

WKR
Barrels aren't like dicks, if you're going to hunt with it you want the shortest barrel you can get that gives you sufficient velocity.

JL

Rob5589

WKR
Accuracy will come from a perfectly cut chamber and how well a load you can develop. 28" is looong and unnecessary. An 8 twisted barrel with stabilize 195's no problem. I wouldn't even consider 28" for hunting, even 26 is plenty long with many saying too long. Not even pushing hard, I could get a 180 smk to 2960 with a 26".

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
A 27” rifle with a muzzle brake is crazy long. I wouldn’t go any longer than 26” if you are putting a brake on it. Carrying around a rifle with a 27” plus a couple inch brake would be like hauling around a javelin when hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk