Rifle bedding question

SDHNTR

WKR
So I just finished my first bedding job using Acraglass Gel. Waited 10 hours and I just popped out the barreled action with minimal persuasion. The important parts around the pillars, recoil lug and tang came out perfect. There are however some superficial voids that I’d like to skim coat and fill in. Any tricks to getting a second coat to fully bond to the first? Sand and scuff I’d assume. But anything else? Should I wait until full cure after 3 days, or can I do it tomorrow? Thanks.

Rob5589

WKR
Let it fully cure so as not to soften the current material. Then like you said, light scuff, clean, apply.

4and1

FNG
Most will leave the epoxy set over night before taking it out. But, let it cure now for a few days. When you rebed it, make sure you clean and release agent the action again (I use Johnsons Paste Wax) coat the stock area again, but then apply a thin coat on the action itself to match your bedding area, then put it back in. THE NEXT DAY, when you take it out, it will look great!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
What difference does it make if I let the stuff harden 10 hrs (like the instructions say) over the same day or if I let it sit over night and pop it the morning? 10 hrs is 10 hrs.

Wrench

WKR
You're not likely to gain much if anything on version 2.0....but DO tighten the screws up to squish any material that escapes your area. Expect thin spots to cure really slow as it doesn't generate the same heat.

I personally would glue it in and foget about it for a couple of days. If it is a pain to release, toss it in the freezer for a few hours and give it a whack when it is cold soaked.....itll pop.

Rob5589

WKR
What difference does it make if I let the stuff harden 10 hrs (like the instructions say) over the same day or if I let it sit over night and pop it the morning? 10 hrs is 10 hrs.
I always did mine late afternoon so to sit overnight. I used Devcon mostly with plenty of clear Kiwi shoe polish and never had an issue with release. I figured there was no reason to rush it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well it all worked out. Voids filled, bedding complete. Came out pretty good. Fits like a glove. But... I’m never doing that again. Was a messy and stressful job. I’ll never complain about a gunsmith’s fees or wait times again!