Rifle Build Critique

Do you have a bad experience with either the SHV or SWFA? I've read many good things about both scopes. I've also read good things about the Bushnell LRHS. I've just read more good things about the SHV and SWFA.

What am I missing out on by not considering the Bushnell?

Not the lrhs but the elite tactical is my recommendation.

I’ve only shot the swfa 3-15 about 2,500 rounds and roughly 40 animals before I tripped it. Eye box is tight above 12x, glass really struggles in harsh lighting and the exposed windage knob isn’t ideal, 5mil per rev is fairly pedestrian and the lack of a hard zero stop isn’t ideal

the bushnell lrhs or elite tactical 3-13 fixes most of the issues with the above with a weight penalty of about 1.7 oz

on a mountain rifle I can’t control recoil enough above 10x on the magnification in the field to watch impacts inside of 400 yards.

glass is way more then adequate as an aiming device, zero stop is awesome, 10 mile per rev, low profile on elevation turret, good usable eye box at max mag, capped windage, I like a Christmas tree reticle is quick action scenarios.

As for the shv, if the going price for an shv is in the budget I’d not pay 50% more for a product that weighs 1/4 pound more and should fill the same role.

honestly if the 270 superlite shoots put some sports match rings and bushnell on top of it, maybe if ur feeling sporty a different stock Feed it some eld-x bullets and fill an ark.

most of this stuff is a lot more alike then different. The difference is when the little details of setting up a shot in hurry , knowing hold overs/hold offs without consulting a ballistic calculator.. and having good dope/zero

500 is second gear with capable ammo, good fundamentals and a shooting setup that is reliable.

tdhanses

WKR
That's a good suggestion and one I considered. However, I wanted a slightly heavier barrel than the Mesa comes with. And by using a barrel nut for this build it opens up the possibility of different calibers in the future.

IMO, in my price range, the Mesa is very tough to beat.

Have you looked at the new Savage 110 ultralight with proof barrel? All it’ll possibly need is a new stock.

As for the shv vs swfa... neither.. hurry as fast as you can and buy the last bushnell 3-12 Doug at Cameraland has for 650$

If you’re talking about the FDE LRTS, I ordered one last night. Not sure how you know they only had 1? They are still showing as available on the website.

tdhanses

WKR
If you’re talking about the FDE LRTS, I ordered one last night. Not sure how you know they only had 1? They are still showing as available on the website.

I almost bought one of these from the Bushnell Outlet a few months ago, brand new on close out for $480.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are dead set on doing the work yourself, I recently sent a 300 wsm 700 xcr2 to Pac-nor to have them rebarrel. For your cost mentioned I did a #4 contour with 6 flutes and brake installed with a cerakote.

It came back flawless and shoots amazing. As a stock rifle I was lucky to get 1.5" groups at 100. It is easily .5 moa with factory ammo and now I'm getting much better results with hand loads.

I had already upgraded to hs-precision stock and dbm bottom, timney and had bolt fluted and knob thread previously.

First hunt was a pronghorn at 405 yards, second hunt was an elk at 272 yards. Its everything I was hoping for in a semi custom build and more.

There are many places that offer this kind of service with their barrels that might be worth looking into as another option.
2ac33d66ccff584a6827ec8b87ce81a9.jpg
0eced6199abee4cdb9030de6d29858c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
Unless you are dead set on doing the work yourself, I recently sent a 300 wsm 700 xcr2 to Pac-nor to have them rebarrel. For your cost mentioned I did a #4 contour with 6 flutes and brake installed with a cerakote.

It came back flawless and shoots amazing as a stock rifle I was lucky to get 1.5" groups at 100. It is easily .5moa with factory ammo and now I'm getting much better results with hand loads.

I had already upgraded to hs-precision stock and dbm bottom, timney and had bolt fluted and knob thread previously.

First hunt was a pronghorn at 405 yards, second hunt was an elk at 272 yards. Its everything I was hoping for in a semi custom build and more.

There are many places that offer this kind of service with there barrels that might be work looking into as another option.
2ac33d66ccff584a6827ec8b87ce81a9.jpg
0eced6199abee4cdb9030de6d29858c3.jpg

That's a nice looking rifle. How recently did you send it to Pacnor? If I'm not mistaken, the Pacnor factory just experienced a fire that destroyed a good bit of equipment. If they're back in production, good for them. I did not expect them to be back in production so quickly.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
That's a nice looking rifle. How recently did you send it to Pacnor? If I'm not mistaken, the Pacnor factory just experienced a fire that destroyed a good bit of equipment. If they're back in production, good for them. I did not expect them to be back in production so quickly.
You are correct. I had it sent in before in April and got it back in July before they had the fire. Once I saw how good this one shot I had another project gun I wanted to send them for a facelift and saw the production was halted for the moment.

Hopefully they get back up and running because they have good product and service.

I have a friend who has assembled a few rifles like you want to do. They have worked out great and all shoot sub .5 moa. His budget is usually double what you mentioned but is going carbon 6 barrel and CF stock - likes AG composite. He did put together a xp100 with a criterion barrel.

I am currently getting the pieces to put one together with him (he has all the tools) and says is a lot cheaper for him to build rifles when someone else is paying for it!

I am going with a McGowen barrel since they are fully custom- any chamber, any length, any contour for a similar price as the criterion, and they do the Remage. If I’m going to make something might as well have what I want. - doing a left hand 700 in 6mm cm with a 20.5” #2 contour for my daughter.

here is one he put together

Attachments

• D1E9EC2B-2F24-4BA0-9F0B-61298AF11F78.jpeg
    D1E9EC2B-2F24-4BA0-9F0B-61298AF11F78.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

You're not going to get where you want to be with that budget. I have all of my own tools, including the smith specific tools, coating equipment....everything. I could not do what you want to do with the budget you set.

You can make a little money on that stock. I'd sell it and buy a CA/Barrett/tikka and a stock....etc and not look back.

If you buy a budget vice you're going to buger a barrel and be pissed.....or ding the rail on the action. The tools alone will eat up a third of your budget and you'll still have mediocre parts to work with.

The action face and abutments suck. The lug need to be surface ground or tossed, the bolt should be replaced if your time is worth anything.

You'll end up with a scrap box sandwich that you can't break even on and have good odds an off the rack gun will out shoot. So....if this is for skill building, rock on. If this for a finished product on a budget.....I'd change either your budget, plan or expectations.
View attachment 145971View attachment 145972View attachment 145973

I appreciate this advice. I am sure that I would be better off starting with a Big Horn Origin or something similar. However, one of the reasons I am wanting to use sub-par components is that I won't be buggering expensive components while I am learning how to do this. Also, rather than truing an action myself, I could just buy a trued action from NSS for now. Then, I could upgrade to a Big Horn Origin or similar in the future.

I can tell you're well versed in working on rifles. In your opinion, what are some quality tools that I should look for and what are some cheap tools that I should avoid?

Wrench

WKR
Avoid every cheap tool there is. Buy the heaviest lathe you can afford. HSS trumps carbide for low speed machining.

OP
A

Apollo117

WKR
Avoid every cheap tool there is. Buy the heaviest lathe you can afford. HSS trumps carbide for low speed machining.
Thanks. Do you have a preferred manufacturer for barrel vices, actions vices, barrel wrenches and action wrenches?