Rifle Build with Bighorn Origin Action

Hello,

Looking to build a rifle in either 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag using a bighorns action and a prefit carbon fiber proof barrel. I am going to pair that with a trigger-tech trigger and I have not decided on a stock or a muzzle break yet. Going to through a vortex optic on top of it and call it a day.

My question for the group is with never having done this before, will this be a huge undertaking for me to put together all the parts correctly and safely? Has anyone built a similar build that would be willing to help answer questions for me over the next few months as I do the build. I was originally going to just buy a Christensen arms, but for a few more bucks can build a custom gun that I think would ultimately be a better shoot?

Also open to hearing peoples experiences with the origin action, proof pre fit barrels, if there is a specific model trigger tech you love, and if there are any stocks you love for LR hunting applications.

This gun is going to be the gun I hunt deer, elk, and the occasional antelope with.

Thanks!

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going full custom and i consider myself pretty handy but i'm going with a smith.

Or you could probably just buy a Proof Elevation rifle in one of those calibers for pretty much the cost of doing it yourself if you shop around a bit. Basically the same parts as what you posted - just a thought??

Samson7x

WKR
It's easy enough but you will need to order a barrel vice and action wrench if you don't already have those. As mentioned, if you like the proof stock, I'd consider buying an elevation.

I basically copied the elevation because I wanted a lightweight, shorter barreled 6.5PRC. Turned out great and shoots 1/4" 3 shot groups.

Mudflap621

Lil-Rokslider
Very simple to assemble your own rifle with a prefit barrel. As stated you will want a barrel vise and action wrench as well as a torque wrench. Ive used the cheap viper vise quite a few times and it works fine. It would also be a good idea to get a set of go and no go gauges to double check headspace. The trigger is literally two dowel pins and its installed and any self timing break is easy to install as well.

The Origin action is very nice and prices very well for its feature set. Their customer service is also excellent if you were to have any questions or issue.

madcalfe

WKR
don't need a barrel vise... can use a regular vise. but a barrel vise will make it easier. going to need a action wrench, torque wrench, go no, go gauges to check head spacing.

trigger tech diamond would be the trigger id go with. self timing brake,

and for god sake skip the vortex!!

and for god sake skip the vortex!!
+1

I have been thinking about doing something similar with a tikka but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Triggertech special is hard to beat, would also recommend Mesa Precision stock. Curious to see how yours turns out.

Check out carbon six if you haven’t already, prefit barrels with a little more customization over proof.

Very simple to assemble your own rifle with a prefit barrel. As stated you will want a barrel vise and action wrench as well as a torque wrench. Ive used the cheap viper vise quite a few times and it works fine. It would also be a good idea to get a set of go and no go gauges to double check headspace. The trigger is literally two dowel pins and its installed and any self timing break is easy to install as well.

The Origin action is very nice and prices very well for its feature set. Their customer service is also excellent if you were to have any questions or issue.

This is good advice. It is relatively easy to do. In regards to the headspace gauges, you can rent them vs. buying them. If you decide to buy, EA Brown is a good place to get them. If you want to rent, 4D reamer rentals or reamer rentals dot com are good sources.

In regards to the Vortex, if you are planning on using a Razor, then OK, but if not, then I would recommend looking at something different. Tract Toric, Meopta, or Ziess are good options.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Assembling your rifle from parts is not that complicated as far as screwing stuff together and putting in pins. It is technical from other points. Not all triggers drop in and fit right. Not all stocks are drop in. Not all prefits are headspaced right. There are a few things that you need to know to do it right.

That said, I started with Savages and have assembled all sorts of rifles. I have sold all my bolt action rifles except them. Now, I have multiple barrels for them. I have helped lots of guys work through the process and they are happy. There are tons of threads about assembling a rifle.

Zermatt Origin is great, and I think Proof still makes shouldered prefits. And, you can buy "Savage" threaded barrels and install it with a barrel nut.

Ask Zermatt if you can send your trigger, and I think they will time it to your action if you buy it from them. I agree, Triggertech is a fantastic trigger. I had diamonds, but for my rifles I didn't need the trigger in the ounces so I use Primary now because 1.5 pounds is a low as I need it. I can't tell the difference and it saves me a hundred.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I don't run a proof origin but do run several of their tl-3 actions. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an origin. I have 2 proof cf prefits and they both shoot great with minimal load development.

Manners eh-1 or eh1-a are both great hunting stocks. They also make those with a mini chasses embedded.

Mcmillian is another good stock, many to choose. Trigger tech diamond is a great trigger or timney calvin elite. You can go with a cheaper version from each company if you don't want an extremely low trigger pull weight.

Assembly is super easy, viper barrel vise and the appropriate action wrench. Torque wrench and a set of go no go gauges. Lubricate barrel threads and torque to spec.

zr600

FNG
At composite stocks, or mesa precision. I have the mesa 2 of them actually. They are great to deal with. I would maybe skip the proof, they have had some right bore issues lately I don’t know if they have gotten them figured out. Inwould talk to carbon six, and also call and talk to Pederson Precision. Pederson wraps muller works, and rock creeks. All cut rifled barrels for a good price. I have a origin short action and love it, my cousin has a long action he built a 28 Sherman magnum and loves it. He’s about to buy another in a short action for a bench/steel gun. Mine has a savage barrel nut style barrel on it.

CORam

FNG
Building rifles from a Bighorn Origin is NOT a huge undertaking (in my opinion) if you use shouldered prefit barrels. It is quite simple, and in the end you have a top notch rifle that you know inside and out because you assembled it. I also find that it is a major source of pride when you build your own. Just make sure to check headspace with headspace gauges and you can feel confident that the rifle will shoot safely.

I built a 6.5CM match rifle with an Origin and loved it so much that I built another rifle with an Origin, this time it is a hunting rifle chambered in 300 WSM, with a Proof shouldered prefit. Can't go wrong with Bighorn/Zermatt actions. Plus their customer service is excellent.

As for stocks I really love the KRG Bravo on my Origin. But for my hunting rifle I wanted to save a little bit of weight so I decided on an XLR Element (I hated getting away from the Bravo though, it was a hard decision). If you aren't counting ounces I would recommend any of the KRG stocks/chassis - the ergonomics are fantastic. I don't own any except the Bravo but have handled the X-Ray, W3, and C4. The Bravo is hard to beat for the price and is one of the lighter weight stocks in the price range.

Now for triggers - I do not have a TriggerTech trigger, but I have two Timney triggers - an older one that bottoms out at 2.25 lbs and a newer HIT trigger that goes down to 8 oz I think. I love both Timneys. Both Timneys have been timed very well on my Origins without modifications.

Last edited:
OP
B
.300 win mag with big horn action on a proof barrel. I will post full specs and pictures here once it’s done this month!