Rifle build

ccrane

FNG
You've heard it before.... Building a new rifle an would like some opinions on a set up. So far I've decided on a:
lone peak ti fuzion action
gunwerks Clymer stock
proof research barrel
with a jewell hvr
in a 30 nosler with 1 in 9 twist. Mainly hunting in the teton range for elk, long range mule deer, and bear. Thanks for the help thoughts, an possible criticism. 😉

skierhs

WKR
Is there a particular reason for the chambering? Everything on the build seams good except that to me haha

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
I just like that round. A friend of mine has laid down some good bulls with his an I don't mind paying for the ammo.

skierhs

WKR
I just like that round. A friend of mine has laid down some good bulls with his an I don't mind paying for the ammo.
Gotcha, I personally just go with different rounds but that works! Are you going to thread the barrel?

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
a friend of mine that's a Smith will be sir. You think 300 win would be better?

Looks like a nice build, really want my next one to be on the Fusion TI action.

I would personally pick a different trigger if it were me, but if you like Jewels, go for it!

What optic and rings are you going to put on it?

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
I'm gonna try an sneak a swaro z8 on it without my wife cutting my balls off.

skierhs

WKR
I
a friend of mine that's a Smith will be sir. You think 300 win would be better?
its all personal preference at that point. I would look at .300 win if you do exotic or remote hunts because you’ll always find ammo. I’d look at a 300 rum if you really want some down range energy. They’ll all put an animal down.

FURMAN

WKR
30 Nosler is one of, if not the best, cartridges every designed. Run around .200 freebore and 215 Bergers and nothing will be safe. I would suggest a BixnAndy Tac Sport.

My thoughts:

All sweet components. Clymr stock is a bit short in the fore end for my taste if you are going with a longer barrel, I.E. gunworks saying it is designed for 18-22" barrels. If that bothers you I'd consider axial precision, benchmark, or AG composites as alternatives.

Jewell triggers are notorious for failure in field conditions, I'd look elsewhere there.

Not familiar with the z8 scopes, but the other Z series scopes have enough tracking and zero retention issues to make me look elsewhere. I've reverted from being a buy the best $3k glass you can snob to buy something simple that wont fail (SWFA, LRHS, NXS) type guy.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Well when I started researching for this build last year I was looking into 300 rum but a friend has one an was saying the brass was getting hard to find for it. My remote hunts would be in Alaska an I have a friend up there I could get some rounds shipped to in advance I guess. Or try an talk him into getting one too. 😂😂

FURMAN

WKR
I love the Clymr and would not hesitate to use it on any build(not just super light). I also love the Axial precision stock. I personally would look at March or an NX8 for a scope.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Thanks Furman an gypsy! All great things I will consider. I like the 215 Bergers an have heard great things with the 30. Only reason I was going for the Clymer is the weight but I'm not sure the magnus is that big of difference. I was talking to my buddy an he suggested a timney vs a jewel which I'd take into consideration along with other suggestions cause I'm not sold in jewell. If I didn't go swaro I'd go nxs. They are just a little heavier than swaro which is why I was thinking that direction. Thanks for the help guys!

skierhs

WKR
30 Nosler is one of, if not the best, cartridges every designed. Run around .200 freebore and 215 Bergers and nothing will be safe. I would suggest a BixnAndy Tac Sport.
Best for what? My 338lm our performs it in sure. The availability of 300 win beats it, the rum beats it in velocity. Nothing is safe even with a .22 if your pick your shot. My just claiming “best designed” inplys nothing if you don’t qualify it with something quantitively.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks Furman an gypsy! All great things I will consider. I like the 215 Bergers an have heard great things with the 30. Only reason I was going for the Clymer is the weight but I'm not sure the magnus is that big of difference. I was talking to my buddy an he suggested a timney vs a jewel which I'd take into consideration along with other suggestions cause I'm not sold in jewell. If I didn't go swaro I'd go nxs. They are just a little heavier than swaro which is why I was thinking that direction. Thanks for the help guys!
Giessle came out with a trigger around a year or two ago that seams to be very tough and I have not seen one get gummed up like I have with the Tiimney triggers. Just another option. Your build though so far is going in the right direction, that’s for sure.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Anyone have any experience with trigger tech? I know a lot of guys use em but I haven't seen any.

FURMAN

WKR
The Bix n Andy is far superior to any Timney. I have the Geisele and it is a great trigger. I would still take the BnA.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Well thanks guys for all the info. This is my first custom gun an since I may not get many I'd like to get it as right as I can. That's why I'd figure I'd hit yall up an yall know way more than I do so thanks for the help!

FURMAN

WKR
Best for what? My 338lm our performs it in sure. The availability of 300 win beats it, the rum beats it in velocity. Nothing is safe even with a .22 if your pick your shot. My just claiming “best designed” inplys nothing if you don’t qualify it with something quantitively.

The best do it all. If you really want my explicit detail on how I feel about the cartridge read the review on this site. The Lapua has many of the same limitations as the rum plus the added larger bolt face and needed larger action to be safe.

FURMAN

WKR
Well thanks guys for all the info. This is my first custom gun an since I may not get many I'd like to get it as right as I can. That's why I'd figure I'd hit yall up an yall know way more than I do so thanks for the help!

If you listen to everyones suggestions you will never build a rifle because you will always be changing something. You started with a great idea. Tweaking may be good but major changes are not necessary.