Rifle build

FURMAN

WKR
Anyone have any experience with trigger tech? I know a lot of guys use em but I haven't seen any.

I personally do not like them because I prefer to have over travel. Most who claim to not like over travel have never shot a tigger with it. You will not find a trigger on a winning rifle in benchrest with no over travel. I would ask why or do some research as to why.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Sweet I was just talking to my guy an he said b n a would be his suggestion too.

30 Nosler is one of, if not the best, cartridges every designed. Run around .200 freebore and 215 Bergers and nothing will be safe. I would suggest a BixnAndy Tac Sport.

I would argue the 30-28 nosler is superior to the 30 nosler. At the 300/30/30-28 argument though there really isn't a whole lot of difference in velocitybullet selection. Sure we can argue specifics but just discussing the performance of the round, it sits in the same ballpark as so many. Personal preference can easily be the deciding factor with these big 30 cal builds...nothing wrong with that at all though. Most will meet expectations and do roughly the same job as long as the rifle is in the right hands. I would argue a 300 norma mag improved if you really want to step up the 30 cal game. My personal opinion, but I like to build rifles around brass quality like Lapua, ADG, etc. Nosler is not the highest on the list as far as longvity or consistency but if it is what is offered then it's not a bad route. I would argue you pay too much for what you get though compared to better options if your caliber is available.
Thanks Furman an gypsy! All great things I will consider. I like the 215 Bergers an have heard great things with the 30. Only reason I was going for the Clymer is the weight but I'm not sure the magnus is that big of difference. I was talking to my buddy an he suggested a timney vs a jewel which I'd take into consideration along with other suggestions cause I'm not sold in jewell. If I didn't go swaro I'd go nxs. They are just a little heavier than swaro which is why I was thinking that direction. Thanks for the help guys!
We all want to save weight, trouble is shooting a light rifle with a big magnum caliber choice is tough to do. It's not the fact that you're a tough guy and can handle the recoil, it's shooting the rifle consistently and accurately. It's tough to balance a light weapon and be able to shoot it in the same manner with your grip, cheek weld, resting in your shoulder location, follow through, etc. I've played around with my own hunting rifle and small changes to affect accuracy. Best thing to do is get some time behind it and learn what the gun/your body likes. For me an extra pound or so on a magnum hunting rifle is worth it if I can shoot it more stable and consistently.

I would throw triggertech in there as well, many reputable builders are using them. Bix n Andy are highly regarded as well. Many great manufactures out there, I would look into what the majority of people are using for hunting, gunsmithing, and competition use. Generally if one or two are popular above the rest then there is good reason for it.

As stated before don't listen to everyone's criticism specifically. Use it to get a feel for what you want, continue to ask questions, but at the end of the day don't go down a route just because somebody said to. You will be happiest with your build if you build it the way that makes you happy, and not the person giving their opinion.

skierhs

WKR
The best do it all. If you really want my explicit detail on how I feel about the cartridge read the review on this site. The Lapua has many of the same limitations as the rum plus the added larger bolt face and needed larger action to be safe.
I’ve read the article and enjoyed it. As with everything there is always room to argue with stuff one way or the other but I appreciated the analysis of the three main carriages that were done. The word “best” is thrown around so much now a days if I don’t see someone add some qualification(not explicit detail) it need to be asked, “best what?” Back to the point of the tread, the list and planning is on the right track. Just need to pull the trigger and build the thing haha.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
I agree Furman I think my basis is a good start an I'm open to tweaking things here an there. I know there is no one rifle for us all an I appreciate all the suggestions.

Sounds like a great list of parts. I agree with something other than a Jewel Trigger. The 30 Nosler is a great choice as is the 300Win especially if both are setup for the 215s.
Id run a NXS, March, LRHS or S&B.

skierhs

WKR
Skierhs I plan on it soon bud! I'll get on it soon!
Post up some photos once you get it built! Are you going to thread the muzzle for a can? NF releases their nx8 line with two awesome scopes with amazing magnification ranges.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Definitely threading it for a can... I'll have to check em out.

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
I haven't been set on one. Prefer as light as possible. The new ones from gunwerks look like they may have potential but id take some help.

skierhs

WKR
I haven't been set on one. Prefer as light as possible. The new ones from gunwerks look like they may have potential but id take some help.
Look at those and also thunderbeast arms (tbac). Tbac are industry leaders for accuracy, suppression, and being light. They offer one that is 5 inches long and 7 ounces.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in my 2 cents, mind you I don't think there is any right or wrong with most of the high end custom stuff you're speaking of, just a matter of personal preference.

First concerning the action, I don't know that I'd go with a TI action if I was considering a bigger magnum caliber. It's gonna cost you more, you're only going to save 9 ounces or so (it's still a chromoly bolt) and they don't headspace as consistently like their chromo actions.

If you get a chromo Lone Peak, Impact, Big Horn then you can just order up a shouldered prefit from any number of guys, screw it on and go. I personally run impacts but Mike and Brian at Lone Peak are awesome guys and great shooters. Eric Andersen at Blue Mountain Precision does my gunsmithing but he works a ton with the guys at Lone Peak and he can turn you up a barrel without ever having to touch your action. Not the case if you go with a TI action. Not a deal breaker just something to consider.

As far as triggers, I started running Jewels, went to Bix n Andy, then Trigger Tech and now I'm back to Jewel's in my match rifle. Just a personal preference thing. I still have a Trigger Tech Diamond and I put a Trigger Tech Primary in the hunting rifle I just put together. I still prefer the Jewel's break when adjusted properly and I haven't had a single issue with them.

Like I said, they're all good, just preference. There's guys killing stuff and winning matches with all of it.

Here's the hunting rifle I just put together.

Impact Action with mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 8 twist at 24"
TBAC Ultra 7
Trigger Tech Primary
Leupold Mark 5 3-18
Badger Rings
This stock I won at a match, the actual stock is almost done. It'll be a Manners EH1 in Arctic Camo (gonna rattle can the suppressor to match)
Went with a 6.5 PRC

OP
C

ccrane

FNG
Journeyman thanks for your two cents! Probably will save me way more than that on my build with your advice. I really like the blue mountain precision high country hunter now that I've slowed down an looked at it. It's not exactly what I want but the stock an the trigger are still top of the line an it looks like a great package deal for the price. An I'm close enough to vernal so that's a very viable option. Im going to call them an pick their brains a bit but I may just go that route.

khuber84

WKR
I have a fairly similar build, Mesa Crux ti action, proof sendero 1:9, 30 nosler cut with 200fb. I chose a manners mcs-t, triggertech special flat shoe. Came in right at 7#, but I've added some weight with an mlok rail inletted into the stock forend. Rifle easily shoots under 3/4" groups with 215 hybrids rl26 powder, 3075fps. I am about to make a switch to adg brass, as a few of the nosler pockets are getting loose after 3 reloads. You'll be happy with the performance of the case, I have no concerns there. Lone peak makes a solid action. I have zero experience with the gunwerks stocks. Proof barrels have become the standard that carbons are compared to they make a great product. I have used triggertech, and Huber triggers. I do like the feel of the Huber 2 stage a lot, but the bombproof reputation of the triggertech and simplicity of them, I keep using them. Rumor says they will have a 2 stage soon.

RumLover

FNG
Sounds like a great combo. Are you looking to shoot long, high BC bullets? If so, might want to consider the 300 PRC... And that's coming from a guy that loves the 300 rum. The issue is OAL for the cartridge with long bullets. The nosler design gets at that issue a little, but not as efficiently as the PRC. The really long bullets have to go deeper into the case, eating up powder capacity as well. When you start having to chase the lands with the OAL, it isn't long before the rounds won't fit into the mag. I'm not familiar with the internal dimensions of the gunwerks mag, so that might not be an issue... But it is in an AI CIP mag. My favorite light 300 rum is now a single shot. Just something to consider if you want to take advantage of the newer high bc bullets and shoot a lot.

On triggers, I've been a long fan of the Jewel, but as someone mentioned above, I have had one fail in the field on one of my RUMs. Recommend Bix or Geissle.

khuber84

WKR
30 nosler has a shorter case length and equal neck length of the 300 prc. The only difference is the chamber lead/throat is longer on the prc. With a custom reamer this is all changed with 200-250 freebore, which will have the bullet seated out of powder space and be at a shorter oal than the prc. The only advantage of the prc is the non rebated rim for improved feeding reliability, and if your feed lips of magazine are tuned properly its no advantage at all. If nosler had done right and throated all their nosler case line properly for optimal performance they'd be much more popular. The whole it fits in a 30-06 length action bs is just that. They really held the design back with that one mistake.

Sounds like a great combo. Are you looking to shoot long, high BC bullets? If so, might want to consider the 300 PRC... And that's coming from a guy that loves the 300 rum. The issue is OAL for the cartridge with long bullets. The nosler design gets at that issue a little, but not as efficiently as the PRC. The really long bullets have to go deeper into the case, eating up powder capacity as well. When you start having to chase the lands with the OAL, it isn't long before the rounds won't fit into the mag. I'm not familiar with the internal dimensions of the gunwerks mag, so that might not be an issue... But it is in an AI CIP mag. My favorite light 300 rum is now a single shot. Just something to consider if you want to take advantage of the newer high bc bullets and shoot a lot.

On triggers, I've been a long fan of the Jewel, but as someone mentioned above, I have had one fail in the field on one of my RUMs. Recommend Bix or Geissle.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fairly similar build, Mesa Crux ti action, proof sendero 1:9, 30 nosler cut with 200fb. I chose a manners mcs-t, triggertech special flat shoe. Came in right at 7#, but I've added some weight with an mlok rail inletted into the stock forend. Rifle easily shoots under 3/4" groups with 215 hybrids rl26 powder, 3075fps. I am about to make a switch to adg brass, as a few of the nosler pockets are getting loose after 3 reloads. You'll be happy with the performance of the case, I have no concerns there. Lone peak makes a solid action. I have zero experience with the gunwerks stocks. Proof barrels have become the standard that carbons are compared to they make a great product. I have used triggertech, and Huber triggers. I do like the feel of the Huber 2 stage a lot, but the bombproof reputation of the triggertech and simplicity of them, I keep using them. Rumor says they will have a 2 stage soon.
Nice man
I just got my 300 prc together last weekend, it's also built on a Mesa Crux Ti
Weights 7.5 lbs with a 27" fluted varmint contour barrel in a manners EH1.
I just started load development and it's nipping at the 30 Noslers heels...
I'm getting 3010 with 225 ELDM's using N570, and I'm at 2970 with N165 and no pressure signs.
Now I just need to find my accuracy nodes.
I'm really impressed with the efficiency of the PRC

Rambler

FNG
I personally do not like them because I prefer to have over travel. Most who claim to not like over travel have never shot a tigger with it. You will not find a trigger on a winning rifle in benchrest with no over travel. I would ask why or do some research as to why.
I'm sitting here questioning whether you've ever tripper a Trigger Tech or not? They have plenty of over travel! They claim .015" - .030" and I agree but t

My Trigger Techs typically have more overtravel than say a properly adjusted Timney 510. I just spent 30 min measuring them. I guess my question, as a guy who is a hunter and not a Benchrest shooter would be, why do Benchrester's want more overtravel? I'm happy to buy the best, I'd just like to know what the "best" is.....

BTW, I have Jewels too. One in particular is about 15yo, been to multiple states enduring all kinds of "exposure", without ever being cleaned. It has yet to fail to light a primer.

Which trigger is best?

FURMAN

WKR
I'm sitting here questioning whether you've ever tripper a Trigger Tech or not? They have plenty of over travel! They claim .015" - .030" and I agree but t

My Trigger Techs typically have more overtravel than say a properly adjusted Timney 510. I just spent 30 min measuring them. I guess my question, as a guy who is a hunter and not a Benchrest shooter would be, why do Benchrester's want more overtravel? I'm happy to buy the best, I'd just like to know what the "best" is.....

BTW, I have Jewels too. One in particular is about 15yo, been to multiple states enduring all kinds of "exposure", without ever being cleaned. It has yet to fail to light a primer.

Which trigger is best?

I have fired no less than 1000 rounds with over 10 trigger techs. Maybe you should start by reading their claims which are minimal over travel. With absolutely zero over travel a trigger will not function. So your claim about your trigger tech having more overtravel is incorrect. As far as why you WANT OVERTRAVEL do some reading. Dwell time in a trigger is a good thing and that is what you get with overtravel. I can not tell you what trigger is the "best" for you but I will tell you I will have a Bix n Andy in everything I can buy one for. If you don't believe that almost every advancement in long range hunting has come from benchrest and that it absolutely matters in long range hunting just the same as benchrest then I would have to question if you should be shooting animals at long distances.

I am in no way suggesting you can not shoot small with a Trigger Tech. I know guys that shoot well with 7lb triggers with creep. I am simply saying it is easier to shoot small with as little creep as possible( I do not think anyone would argue this), light trigger pull(again I doubt any one would argue this), and a relatively large amount of overtravel. I think Darrell Holland explains it very well.

Last edited: