Rifle build

FURMAN

WKR

Before you suggest or imply I just read this and pass it on I will tell you I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with triggers adjusted to minimal overtravel until I read the article. It makes sense if you think about it. I tried it years ago and find far fewer unexplained fliers from prone field positions. I will never go back when given the choice. This is why bix n Andy have plenty of overtravel and why benchresters have overtravel. Do what you want it makes no difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rambler

FNG

Before you suggest or imply I just read this and pass it on I will tell you I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with triggers adjusted to minimal overtravel until I read the article. It makes sense if you think about it. I tried it years ago and find far fewer unexplained fliers from prone field positions. I will never go back when given the choice. This is why bix n Andy have plenty of overtravel and why benchresters have overtravel. Do what you want it makes no difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the link to the article. I definitely learned something there! However, you said you don't like TT because they don't have overtravel. I know you meant to say very little overtravel because you already showed an understanding that a trigger must have at least some to function, right?

The TT specs for each model are listed inside the box they come in and it doesn't say "very little".. They claim the Primary when adjusted to 1.6lbs averages 15 thou, the Special adjusted to 1lb, about 12 thou and the Diamond adjusted to .3 lb, about 5 thou overtravel. Now, as I said, I own TT's as well as many others and overtravel is easy to measure so why would I take "anybody's" word for it?

I'm a hunter not a benchrester so all my TT's are Specials adjusted to 1.5lbs. After measuring 5 of them, they averaged right around 22 thou and very consistent!

I then measured a couple properly adjusted Rem 700 old style triggers and they varied anywhere from 10 to 15 thou. Both my Timney 510's @ 1.5lbs measure right around 10-12 thou. Jewels are hard to measure because they are spongy after the break but to the feel, I'd guess they overtravel about the same as my Timneys.

So again, I stand by what I said previously about TT's having more overtravel than your average trigger.

Didn't have to even measure really, the difference between 10 thou and 22 thou feels like a mile! I'll take empirical evidence everytime!

Now with all that being said and referencing my new found knowledge that you graciously linked (thanks again!), would you please let us know how much overtravel the average Bix N Andy has and what exactly is the optimum distance for overtravel in a trigger?

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
This will be my last post in this thread if you wish to have a trigger discussion start one. I will not continue to keep the OPs thread off topic.

https://triggertech.com control F overtravel I am pretty sure they use the word minimize.

As to your 700 or Timney have less overtravel you are choosing to read my words to suit your argument. I should have clarified so I will concede. The Triggertechs are all adjusted for minimal overtravel. I can put quite a bit of overtravel in a 700, Timney, or Jewell if I choose(and I will when I can). The Bix n Andy chose to make the overtravel non adjustable but they chose more rather than less. Bix n Andy lists no spec for overtravel and I will not waste my time measuring. I will say it is a large amount. Optimal? I would say as much as the trigger will mechanically allow. Above the overtravel the BnA maintains constant trigger pull wight after the sear falls so you do not just slam back against the stop. The TT does not. If you really want more specific information talk to Chris at Bullet Central. Good luck hunting!

Rambler

FNG
This will be my last post in this thread if you wish to have a trigger discussion start one. I will not continue to keep the OPs thread off topic.

https://triggertech.com control F overtravel I am pretty sure they use the word minimize.

As to your 700 or Timney have less overtravel you are choosing to read my words to suit your argument. I should have clarified so I will concede. The Triggertechs are all adjusted for minimal overtravel. I can put quite a bit of overtravel in a 700, Timney, or Jewell if I choose(and I will when I can). The Bix n Andy chose to make the overtravel non adjustable but they chose more rather than less. Bix n Andy lists no spec for overtravel and I will not waste my time measuring. I will say it is a large amount. Optimal? I would say as much as the trigger will mechanically allow. Above the overtravel the BnA maintains constant trigger pull wight after the sear falls so you do not just slam back against the stop. The TT does not. If you really want more specific information talk to Chris at Bullet Central. Good luck hunting!

Well since the OP asked about triggers, I don't really feel like we've hijacked the thread but ok? It would have taken less time to measure your BnA than it did to do all that jukin' and jivin'...Guess I'll just pick up a BnA and see for myself, thanks!

I run the Geissele trigger in my back country rifle and have liked it so far, with no real issues and great feel. Additionally, it’s the only bolt gun trigger on the market that passed military drop safe testing standards...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Additionally, it’s the only bolt gun trigger on the market that passed military drop safe testing standards...

To clarify- The Geissele is the only “Remington 700” based trigger to pass drop standards. Not the only bolt gun trigger.

The Remington 700 based trigger and all actions that utilize it, are compromises from the start. So much so that the trigger alone makes it worth looking at other options.

Maybe we just use equipment different, but the Test Operation Procedures for the rough handling test (which I assume your referring) utilized by the Army Developmental Test Command does not translate into my needs/wants as a civilian shooter/hunter. The results from those tests do not enter into my purchase decision making one bit when I'm compiling a parts list for a build.

Understood, and perfectly within reason. However, after multiple posts of what separates some triggers from one another, I was simply pointing out another difference. Glad to know it doesn't pertain to you though!