Rifle carry while back country hunting

I’ve used a rifle sling attached to hip belt on my pack for years but I’ve always been annoyed having it swing around in front especially when using trekking poles. For reference I have the kifaru gun bearer. I think it works as well as any of them but just curious how many of you back country people use a sling vs strapping it to your backpack vs just putting it over tour shoulder?

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using the Kifaru as well, it’s the best way that I know of at this time. I used the Stone Glacier for a season or 2, I think it works fine but I like that I can put my rifle back into the Kifaru without having to take the pack off like you have to do with the SG. I’ve also used a normal rifle sling over my shoulder but that doesn’t work great with a pack on for me.

carter33

WKR
I don’t think the perfect solution exists, but if someone can find one they will certainly be making some good coin. I use the Kifaru gun bearer some but unless I sorta counterweight the opposite side of the pack, even then, it awkwardly weights one side of the hip a bit. Still think it’s the best hands free quick access option I have used.

When going through thicker brush I typically just carry my rifles in hand to keep them from getting caught up and because everywhere I hunt is basically grizzly country. Though I know I shouldn’t do this, when I’m packing meat I usually strap the rifle to the pack. Sometime I have a sidearm & sometimes I risk it.

hunterjmj

WKR
If it's dark it's on my pack, otherwise it's in the Kifaru bearer or I just carry it. I gave up a sling years ago. It's a pain in the butt trying to sling a rifle with a pack on. I don't even have sling swivels studs on my rifle anymore.

TheGDog

WKR
I tried to use the Kifaru Gun Bearer.... but it exerts this uneven twisting force upon the hipbelt, and since my old lowerback injuries got re-exacerbated by Covid and the state of those injury was made even worse.... such that it even disallows me from wearing a regular belt when hunting because that force... the pressing going on where a belt line would normally be.... hobbles me by the end of the day. So I just use First-Lite suspenders now. And stopped trying to use the Gun Bearer and just began using Quake-Claw slings. They stay on your shoulder the best of any of them.

If you're free of injury, you'd probably like the Kifaru Gun Bearer way of doing it. But I'd just say practice bringing that firearm to bear a few times.. it's imperative that when it's go time.... you successfully undo the cinching buckle that holds in the top of your barrel. It will take a concerned directed effort to make sure it cleanly opens up and releases on your first try. Like many things, ya kinda want to wear it in a lil bit first at home. That buckle I'm talking about. It was nice and stiff and grabbed hold very strongly, so would require a purposeful pull to undo that strap and make sure it becomes loosened up for you.

I used to purposefully go hunting and hike-in without a sling. My thought process was that way I've always got it at the ready. So nothing can surprise me. And while hiking I'd constantly be changing off sides from one hand to the other to help ensure both arms got a workout. I've since realized how annoying it can be to traverse steep country with a rifle in your hand, where a Trekking pole should be instead. Hence now the sling. ...and a Trekking Pole!

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used a sling in years, I only use a kifaru gun bearer, I absolutely love it and when you need your rifle quick it's like it just jumps into your hands.

bsnedeker

WKR
Have you tried playing around with where you have the GB on your hip belt? It makes a HUGE difference whether you have it towards one end of the belt or another.

I just strap it to my kifaru pack, nothing fancy. Sinch it down and call it a day. Doesn't move, don't need a fancy gun holder.

rayporter

WKR
the gun bearer gets used some and even frequently on some trips but i also use a slogan outdoors sling, if anything is more sticky and stays put better than the the claw it is the slogan.

For all those talking about the uneven weight of the gun bearer pulling the hip belt on one side, I had this problem as well years ago and after a few days of vertical climbing on north facing slopes had terrible hip and low back pain from how uneven the weight distribution was. To address this I mounted a water bottle carrier on the opposite side hip belt and carry a large bottle of drinking water there. I typically use the largest of the smart water bottles in the backcountry and they work well. This really helped to even the weight distribution out when using the gun bearer. No more back pain for me and hands-free can carry, also very easy access to my water because I absolutely hate drinking out of bladders. Just a few thoughts.

Seeknelk

WKR
I've used the gunbearer for more than a decade.
Awesome for climbing, grabbing brush etc, hiking , you can use both hands on trekking poles.
Its nice and quick for actually getting it in action and killing stuff.
I'm NOT hunting with a rifle strapped on my pack that's for dang sure. In the dark, just hiking in or out, I'll put it on the pack if I'm not in griz country but that rare anymore. Seems like everywhere is griz country now. Tried a sling one day when I lost a gunbearer part. Horrible with a pack on.

WCB

WKR
I just use a Butler Creek V-Grip sling. Throw the sling over the stay on my pack. might as well be attached to the pack as it doesn't swing or slide but I can get it out faster.

Juan_ID

WKR
I recently ordered the slik sling and am pretty happy with it considering I had zero time to mess with it before I took it in the field. I think with some minor tweaks I’ll like it even more.
I really liked the gun bearer but wanted to try something different to try and get the barrel out of my face and out from under my armpit. Plus it’s only $2003A5325E-310C-41AD-8A0B-CCE00BA9227A.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
For all those talking about the uneven weight of the gun bearer pulling the hip belt on one side, I had this problem as well years ago and after a few days of vertical climbing on north facing slopes had terrible hip and low back pain from how uneven the weight distribution was. To address this I mounted a water bottle carrier on the opposite side hip belt and carry a large bottle of drinking water there. I typically use the largest of the smart water bottles in the backcountry and they work well. This really helped to even the weight distribution out when using the gun bearer. No more back pain for me and hands-free can carry, also very easy access to my water because I absolutely hate drinking out of bladders. Just a few thoughts.
Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't sure and assumed my findings of pain had to do with my particular injuries. The hunting I've been doing past 2 wks has been exactly that, very steep north slopes almost entirely covered in buckthorn on the ground. Actually spotted a buck in the Zeiss y'day but when I looked up.. he was like 600yds probably. Ony one I'd seen so told myself gotta get on it. Tried to climb up halfway between. But I guess since ya gotta look at your feet so dang much with all that buckthorn everywhere, he must have managed to give me the slip.

Only once or twice did I have my rifle on the Quake Claw Sling slip enough to slide down a hair. But I am in the habit of re-mounting back up again it whenever I feel it has moved some. I can't put anything else on my hip belt, I'd have to remove my two pouches. And I loves me them pouches being right there up front. Meds+ GPS+??? in one. And lotsa other stuff in the other one depending on type of game. But always the ammo wallet+Wind Checker+calls or scents.

ChrisAU

WKR
I too like to put water on one side and rifle on the other. I am also a huge proponent of using the Kifaru gun bearer upper but the Kuiu version on the lower/butt of the rifle. The Kuiu version has a strap on each side vs just 1 strap in the middle which helps immensely with the rifle twisting and moving in my experience.