Rifle case for flying

Not trying to start an argument but we flew Alaskan out of MSP and their policy was
"All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination"

We didn't do the "Pack everything you can in your case trick" but we packed enough stuff in it to get screened and it was a pain in the @$$ after the fact because the agents just shoved stuff back in regardless of how it fit.
Other than that it wasn't a big deal, my case did get opened and checked but it was a 3 minutes process.

This is the case I ended up with. I picked it up with points on sale for $150. I dunno how much it differs from a pelican but we flew both of our rifles in it with no issues.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So, why are they cutting your locks after you go through the TSA checkpoint and your case goes to the oversized area?
That’s exactly what I asked them at all 3 of those airports. Switched to TSA locks and haven’t had any issues since. You keep on doing whatever works for you friend. No need to grill a stranger trying to help someone else out. Cheers.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Last time I used a Winchester brand aluminum break down double shotgun case. Removed the stock from my bolt action rifle (2screws). Barreled action on one side. Stock on the other. Binos, knives, gps, misc kit, ammo, sling, etc packed in there. Convenient, low profile, light, secure. Used my daypack as a carry on. Wore my hunting boots and some layers. Very efficient three day hunt out of a drive up cabin.

Yep. Put this in the duffle and fly.

brous8732

FNG
I currently have a Plano gun case that I bought online for $40. It gets the job done though I wouldn’t use it with an expensive setup. I don’t fully trust that it won’t move around in the case unless you use additional passing. There is no comparison with my buddy’s Pelican case though. He bought one after getting hassled by TSA over a similar case to mine. I haven’t had any trouble fwiw.

N2TRKYS

WKR
That’s exactly what I asked them at all 3 of those airports. Switched to TSA locks and haven’t had any issues since. You keep on doing whatever works for you friend. No need to grill a stranger trying to help someone else out. Cheers.

Not grilling, genuinely curious what reason they gave you.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
Pelican are some of the best. I have 2 and just purchased the double case on sale with free shipping Friday. RTIC also makes some quality cases for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
I just flew STL-Denver and back on a hunt a few weeks ago. I used a Pelican Vault 770 single rifle. The case wasn't even scuffed when I got back so I guess I got lucky.
I did not use TSA locks but had some along in case I couldn't convince an agent. I used 4 combo locks. In STL I checked my case, waited outside security for 30 min, went through security, and then got called to the service desk 20 min before boarding. TSA wanted my combination, so I gave it to them. Rifle showed up in Denver just fine.
In Denver on the way back they had a way better system. Basically they sent me over to the screening room with an airline employee and screened it right in front of me. I opened the case for them, agent took one look inside and said "Close it up."
I complimented him on their procedure and he told me, " Well, we handle a **** of a lot of guns here"....... LOL
Oh, and I flew Southwest. They were great. I never felt that my rifle made any difference in how I was treated.

woods89

WKR
Not the guy you were asking but on the above mentioned trip I flew with 50 rnds in a Dillon handloaders case inside my rifle case. Nobody even asked about it......

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Does ammo and weapon together as pictured make it past security?

Personally use a Pelican 1750 and a small Pelican Protector case for ammo. Airlines are super abusive on cases and Pelican really does a great job at protecting my rifle and optics.

Yep they prefer the ammo locked in the case with the weapon. Seems stupid to me but whatever. I fly Delta and Alaska.

Yep they prefer the ammo locked in the case with the weapon. Seems stupid to me but whatever. I fly Delta and Alaska.
Wow! Be very careful where you travel to with ammo in the case with the rifle, that is not at all legal in many countries.

glass eye

FNG
Wow! Be very careful where you travel to with ammo in the case with the rifle, that is not at all legal in many countries.
Yes, always check your airline's policies. I know traveling NZ air the ammo must be checked separately and the rifle bolt too must be in a separate checked bag. However, in the US ammo in the gun case is fine.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

Roger that. The first time they actually forced me to put it in the case with the rifle I was shocked. Pretty easy to take it out and put it in another bag, not so easy to fit all I need in that small case but worth it weight, convenience, and the security of a their not seeing my rifle out and as its own bag.

Ammo in gun case in USA is perfectly fine and legal. Of course check laws for wherever you fly. I run only non-TSA locks. But I don't fly through California. As soon as I saw the post about TSA locks I assumed it was CA TSA doing the dirty work.

TSA regulations say non-TSA locks and only the owner to have the key. That's what I do. I do carry an extra set of locks. On the 1750 ($200 including delivery on Amazon right now) I only put one lock on each end. No problem so far. If they ever ask for locks on all four holes, I'll add my extras.

Anything ATA rated will do. Those airport monkeys have broken a high end SKB case on me. SKB replaced it with an apology. Don't cut corners.

glass eye

FNG
I fly mostly out of San Diego on Alaska airlines. One time upon arrival in Ketchikan I saw my locks ( one at each end ) had been cut off and replaced with just a single lock at one end. I complained and requested that lock be cut off and 2 replacements be given to me. They obliged and a supervisor oversaw my inspection of the contents. Nothing was missing but I later discovered that whoever cut my locks off also spun the vertical on my scope. Took 54 clicks to get it back to zero. Never had an issue with my scope before so I know it was sabotage. Obviously it was an anti hunter TSA agent. Now I have my cell number written on my case and on the locks and Firearm written on it as well. No excuses to cut them off. On my last trip last month they called me before boarding and came for the key to inspect it. No problems.