Rifle case for flying

ODB

WKR
Pelican 1750. I cut the middle foam perfectly so o can fit the foam back in for local travel with a different gun.

i happened to fly through Spokane recently and the TSA wanted to open the case while I was not present. This pisses me off because I have NO idea what some numbnut might do to my gun. And in this case, I had packed extra items very carefully along with the shotgun. When the tSA gal asked me for the keys and told me I wasn’t able to come back while she inspected, I told her things were put in there very specifically and to not move them. She didn’t seem to give a shit.

at Dulles on the way out, the TSA lady could not close the latches and I had to do it for her. I also had to repack my case because she moved some stuff.

I couldn’t imagine having this happen with a 30K double rifle or competition shotgun.

dbransco

FNG
Another vote for Pelican and the 1750 is a great size for travel if you have a rifle that can accommodate the shorter length.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I fly mostly out of San Diego on Alaska airlines. One time upon arrival in Ketchikan I saw my locks ( one at each end ) had been cut off and replaced with just a single lock at one end. I complained and requested that lock be cut off and 2 replacements be given to me. They obliged and a supervisor oversaw my inspection of the contents. Nothing was missing but I later discovered that whoever cut my locks off also spun the vertical on my scope. Took 54 clicks to get it back to zero. Never had an issue with my scope before so I know it was sabotage. Obviously it was an anti hunter TSA agent. Now I have my cell number written on my case and on the locks and Firearm written on it as well. No excuses to cut them off. On my last trip last month they called me before boarding and came for the key to inspect it. No problems.
What’s annoying is it always seems to be some “supervisor” who does it after you’ve already gone through inspection and watch it go behind the wall of doom on the conveyor belt. I swear they see that there are no TSA locks on it and get a boner and pull it to the side for “a secondary supervisory firearm inspection” in which they say they “have every right to perform.” Might have to try the personal locks with cell phone number if it works.

I fly mostly out of San Diego on Alaska airlines. One time upon arrival in Ketchikan I saw my locks ( one at each end ) had been cut off and replaced with just a single lock at one end. I complained and requested that lock be cut off and 2 replacements be given to me. They obliged and a supervisor oversaw my inspection of the contents. Nothing was missing but I later discovered that whoever cut my locks off also spun the vertical on my scope. Took 54 clicks to get it back to zero. Never had an issue with my scope before so I know it was sabotage. Obviously it was an anti hunter TSA agent. Now I have my cell number written on my case and on the locks and Firearm written on it as well. No excuses to cut them off. On my last trip last month they called me before boarding and came for the key to inspect it. No problems.

These stories are so strange. Aren't these cases inspected upon check-in, and if they need you for something they tell you before you board the plane? I fly Delta and haven't seen a hint of this kind of jack-booted behavior. How can they justify cutting the locks after the bag has been checked into the baggage system?

ODB

WKR
These stories are so strange. Aren't these cases inspected upon check-in, and if they need you for something they tell you before you board the plane? I fly Delta and haven't seen a hint of this kind of jack-booted behavior. How can they justify cutting the locks after the bag has been checked into the baggage system?

I think this is more TSA than Delta/United. It is possible that the initial TSA inspector did not properly mark the baggage tag that the case had been inspected. That might cause a secondary inspection, but they should always call. On my luggage tag I have my name and phone number only for this reason. Frankly, I can't believe TSA would even permit an inspection without the owner present due to liability.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Pelican cases are nice but for something thats going to end up in the garage 99% of its life I dont think you need to spend so much. I use the Plano tactical double rifle cases.

I also use those plain copper color master locks, Ive travelled a bunch with guns and never had an issue with the cases, locks or TSA. I always keep ammo with the gun and whenever im down south I usually bring back a fairly large amount of ammo.

weaver

WKR
I use a pelican 1750 with non tsa keyed locks.
I never had any real issues but it seems every time I check in it's a different experience.
Usually they take the case right at the baggage check-in and I have them notify me when the case passes TSA. I NEVER leave the check-in area until it goes through TSA.
I have had to open the case for TSA a couple times. Another time they asked for the key to open it in the back. Although they're not supposed to do that, I gave them the key and they soon returned it without issue.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Things are definitely different depending on the airport/airline. Flying out of smaller airports in MI, I never have an issue. Flying out of Detroit is a royal hassle. Coming back from Alaska no matter the airline, even bringing back the same weapons AND antlers, meat, ect it is always a pleasure. People are the problem unfortunately.

I think this is more TSA than Delta/United. It is possible that the initial TSA inspector did not properly mark the baggage tag that the case had been inspected. That might cause a secondary inspection, but they should always call. On my luggage tag I have my name and phone number only for this reason. Frankly, I can't believe TSA would even permit an inspection without the owner present due to liability.

They actually aren't supposed to mark the case in any way to indicate there is a firearm inside per TSA regs. But to get into the baggage system, it must be tagged by the proper authority in the first place. Those TSA folks are supposed to assume that whatever is necessary has been done to the bag to get it into the system. Secondary inspection a possible justification I guess (i.e. second-checking the airlines), but in that case they are supposed to call you at the gate or over the speaker and have you come back and unlock the case. Good call putting your phone number on your locks for sure.

Pelican cases are nice but for something thats going to end up in the garage 99% of its life I dont think you need to spend so much. I use the Plano tactical double rifle cases.

I also use those plain copper color master locks, Ive travelled a bunch with guns and never had an issue with the cases, locks or TSA. I always keep ammo with the gun and whenever im down south I usually bring back a fairly large amount of ammo.

I'm not saying the Plano case is a bad choice or won't work, but for $25 more (including delivery) you can get the industry standard double Pelican 1750, made of the best materials and battle-tested/battle-improved. Such a small difference in price seems trivial...to me. Even for $100 amortized over the 10 or more years the case will be working for me, that is a very trivial number.

It's not the garage time that matters in the least. What is critical is the 1% of the time that the case is being kicked, dropped, and thrown around by baggage handlers. Buy for the mission, not the storage time.

I also used to bring back a lot of ammo during my travels, normally when not carrying a gun. In that case you can check up to 11 pounds in regular checked luggage as long as you declare it and it's in original packaging or an ammo container with full enclosure.

Last edited:

glass eye

FNG
They actually aren't supposed to mark the case in any way to indicate there is a firearm inside per TSA regs.
I marked mine as a firearm because many times, even with it marked, it comes out in the oversize area and nobdy asks for baggage claim ticket or ID and I just walk away with it. NOT GOOD !

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm not saying the Plano case is a bad choice or won't work, but for $25 more (including delivery) you can get the industry standard double Pelican 1750, made of the best materials and battle-tested/battle-improved. Such a small difference in price seems trivial...to me. Even for $100 amortized over the 10 or more years the case will be working for me, that is a very trivial number.

It's not the garage time that matters in the least. What is critical is the 1% of the time that the case is being kicked, dropped, and thrown around by baggage handlers. Buy for the mission, not the storage time.

I also used to bring back a lot of ammo during my travels, normally when not carrying a gun. In that case you can check up to 11 pounds in regular checked luggage as long as you declare it and it's in original packaging or an ammo container with full enclosure.

I got 2 of the plano tactical cases for 59 bucks each on sale at sportsmans a few years back.

That being said, Ive been happy enough with those planos that I'd proably still buy them for 25 bucks less than a pelican.

ODB

WKR
They actually aren't supposed to mark the case in any way to indicate there is a firearm inside per TSA regs. But to get into the baggage system, it must be tagged by the proper authority in the first place. Those TSA folks are supposed to assume that whatever is necessary has been done to the bag to get it into the system. Secondary inspection a possible justification I guess (i.e. second-checking the airlines), but in that case they are supposed to call you at the gate or over the speaker and have you come back and unlock the case. Good call putting your phone number on your locks for sure.

Every time I have flown with a rifle the TSA person has put some sort of sticker or stamp on the bar-coded luggage tag after they x-rayed/inspected it. I already tossed the one from this last trip or I'd attach a pic. I have always assumed this was a 'no need to inspect further' notice for the rest of the TSA folks...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Every time I have flown with a rifle the TSA person has put some sort of sticker or stamp on the bar-coded luggage tag after they x-rayed/inspected it. I already tossed the one from this last trip or I'd attach a pic. I have always assumed this was a 'no need to inspect further' notice for the rest of the TSA folks...
It’s supposed to be. Doesn’t always happen though.

Good point. I think this is their work around. They can't mark it as "Firearm Inside", but a confirmation of inspection is probably legal or within regulations. Come to think of it, I do remember them putting a sticker about half the size of a dime on the bag ticket last time I flew with a 1750 case (rifle inside).

"Many times" is not every time. I want them to ask for ID or baggage claim. Don't you ?

I don’t mind. I have been asked for ID When I retrieved the case the last two times I have flown with a gun both in NYC and rural Kansas.

I put HAND CARRY ONLY-DEMAND I.D. and my CA Driver's license number in big white letters on my case and I do put TSA locks on it. Used stencils and a spray can. Seems to route my case around the TSA asshats after the initial check somehow. (No conveyor belts). It is a crapshoot though. If they can ruin a brand new ATA rated SKB case, they can destroy anything.

Last edited: