Rifle case for flying

Saw a good head to head comparison between Plano case vs Pelican 1750. Surprised me to see that if you just press on the body of the Plano it pushes air in and out through the "waterproof" seal liner. And the latches on the Pelican blow the doors off the Plano. Not only much stronger but also nicely recessed into the case. Plano has several sharp gussets surrounding the latch. Not in the same class as the Pelican, and you can snag the Pelican for $25-$50 more. Aside from weight, I can't see any reason to consider the Plano. But I am also way past the age where $50 price difference has any bearing on a gear purchase.

Rant complete. Sorry to push so hard on this, but it just seems silly to me to go with any lesser case to protect the one piece of gear you can't hunt without.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw a good head to head comparison between Plano case vs Pelican 1750. Surprised me to see that if you just press on the body of the Plano it pushes air in and out through the "waterproof" seal liner. And the latches on the Pelican blow the doors off the Plano. Not only much stronger but also nicely recessed into the case. Plano has several sharp gussets surrounding the latch. Not in the same class as the Pelican, and you can snag the Pelican for $25-$50 more. Aside from weight, I can't see any reason to consider the Plano. But I am also way past the age where $50 price difference has any bearing on a gear purchase.

Rant complete. Sorry to push so hard on this, but it just seems silly to me to go with any lesser case to protect the one piece of gear you can't hunt without.
While this isn't a rifle case it is the pelican 1615 air case when I got off my flight to Chicago Friday.
e9311c1b704c692bd73d2b3b9754cafa.jpg
It only been on about 25 flights. I'll keep you posted what pelican solution is for getting my equipment back home after I talk to them on Monday.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

While this isn't a rifle case it is the pelican 1615 air case when I got off my flight to Chicago Friday.
e9311c1b704c692bd73d2b3b9754cafa.jpg
It only been on about 25 flights. I'll keep you posted what pelican solution is for getting my equipment back home after I talk to them on Monday.

Pelican Air Case series. Not nearly as durable as standard series. I'll take the weight penalty of Pelican's strongest cases. Fair exchange for far better protection. I run a 1650 for tools and industrial computers. 20 - 30 flights per year. Mine is about 3 years old.

Lifetime guarantee on your 1615. Hopefully they can get you one fast.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pelican Air Case series. Not nearly as durable as standard series. I'll take the weight penalty of Pelican's strongest case. Fair exchange for far better protection.
Well I've flown with all kinds of cases and any of them can be broken. The 1615 is designed specific for airline travel so disappointing none the less. Yes pelican mil spec cases are impressive but heavy and often charged oversized pick your airline carefully.

rich99

FNG
Pelican double for me. The double gives me plenty of room for everything i need. It can (has) withstood lots of baggage handler abuse without any issues at all......NO tsa locks.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I got my Pelican on ebay for a lot less money. It didn't come with the foam. I bought the foam, traced my gun and scope with a sharpie and cut it out with an electric knife. Probably saved close to $100.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I got my Pelican on ebay for a lot less money. It didn't come with the foam. I bought the foam, traced my gun and scope with a sharpie and cut it out with an electric knife. Probably saved close to $100.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I pull the foam and ship clothing, sleeping bag, etc., inside the case to protect the rifle. If I ever need it, I have it, but most times I'm traveling to hunt. Otherwise I use super cheap padded cloth case to transport to the range or even my local hunting spots.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pelican Air Case series. Not nearly as durable as standard series. I'll take the weight penalty of Pelican's strongest cases. Fair exchange for far better protection. I run a 1650 for tools and industrial computers. 20 - 30 flights per year. Mine is about 3 years old.

Lifetime guarantee on your 1615. Hopefully they can get you one fast.
Pelican NO it's not covered
4cbc063fda95c7ccf0b3e8a191f363ef.jpg

I'll be moving my business airline shipping container to SKB