Rifle Change Opinion - 700 5r to Tikka T3x Lite?

TX_Diver

WKR
Considering switching my .308 to a Tikka T3x Lite or superlite and wondering if I would be giving up anything on the cold bore shot accuracy wise? Also if I Would be giving up anything out between 500-1000 while target shooting.

I currently have one of the first gen 700 5r milspec rifles in .308. I've shot it to 1000 and shot great groups at 100 w/ FGMM 175gr and also Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr ELD-X. With the upgraded trigger it's a fantastic rifle and I know it shoots BUT, it's heavy for hunting with. I carried it on one mule deer hunt that was mostly out of a truck and even just taking it 1 mile was uncomfortable due to the balance (it did have a Gen 2 razor on it at the time at almost 3lbs for the scope alone).

I've started to place a higher value on weight though so I'm considering selling the 700 5r and picking up a T3x Lite or Superlite in .308 (not really looking to change calibers as I have .308 brass and appropriate powders). Hunting wise I'd use it mainly for deer/antelope. For elk I'd rather take a 30-06. I have a T3x in .223 so the thought is that it'd be nice to have 2 similar rifles.

For reference the bare rifle weight on the 700 is 8.3lbs w/ a 24" barrel, 1:11.25 twist. The Tikkas are advertised at 6.4 although people claim the superlite drops a few oz from that, 22.4" barrel, 1:11 twist.

My concern is how much would I give up on accuracy? Obviously the light barrel on the Tikka is going to be subject to heating up but I don't typically shoot more than a 5 shot string. Slowing down or shooting 3 shot groups wouldn't kill me.

Would I be giving up anything on the cold bore shot accuracy wise? Would I be giving up anything out between 500-1000 while target shooting if I slowed down the rate of fire?

Hopefully my dog wouldn't be too disappointed if I switched... She loved it.
M0dtXkSl.jpg

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The 5r is geared toward long range shooting, the Lite is a hunting gun. The Tikka sure won't handle long strings of fire like the 5r, which is obvious. Could not say whether or not the Lite can hang at long range not having tried mine that far. I don't think I'd sell the 5r personally. Our group used to recommend it to new shooters looking to get into long range and the guns always shot lights out. Should be an easy sell if you do.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Do it. My son has a 700 and t3x. He chooses the t3x almost every time we head out unless just going to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sound like a far more accomplished rifle shooter than me. I will say, I have two tikkas. Both are sub MOA guns with good ammo. They feel cheap in the hand but they are light and shoot.

I have 700s all bought in the last 10 years.

- 300 win mag AWR that shoots pretty well
- 308 XTR that doesn’t seem to shoot well at all
- 223 SPS that shoots very well

all have timney triggers but not much else work done. The tikkas are stock configuration and outshoot the Remys with ease. They are also lighter and significantly less expensive. Taking into consideration piss poor quality of some 870s I have bought in the same time frame, I can’t say I’d ever buy another 700. I will take that a step further and say if I could snap my fingers and turn those Remya into tikkas without a big hassle, I would.

FLS

WKR
Two completely different platforms. A heavy barreled precision rifle vs a lightweight hunting rifle.
I’ve never seen a 5 R that didn’t shoot well. Solid platform. It’s heavy for a hunting rifle.
The tikka may or may not be a tack driver. Despite the non stop love fest here, not every one I’ve seen was an outstanding shooter right out of the box. Most are very good rifle for what they cost. Light and accurate enough to hunt with.
I’d keep the 5R for punching paper and banging steel, and buy a Tikka to hunt with.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The 5r is geared toward long range shooting, the Lite is a hunting gun. The Tikka sure won't handle long strings of fire like the 5r, which is obvious. Could not say whether or not the Lite can hang at long range not having tried mine that far. I don't think I'd sell the 5r personally. Our group used to recommend it to new shooters looking to get into long range and the guns always shot lights out. Should be an easy sell if you do.

If it was An apples to apples comparison it’d be an easy choice haha. That’s why I’m not sure what I want to do. Just curious as to others experiences

the 700 could always be rebarelled later to be lighter. Probably a new stock too. The tikka could always be rebarelled later to deal with the heat. Stock is light but not extremely stiff or nice.

I do like the detachable magazine of the tikka but that’s just a bottom metal away on the 700 too.

for a certain price either could be made into almost anything but at that point I may as well have just bought the seekins Havak and called it good.

Why sell it? Sounds like you have an excellent but heavy long range rifle, and now you need a light mountain rifle. By the time you get done trying to build one gun to do both jobs you will have spent a butt load of money. Shoot the 5r at the range and take the Tikka when you hike. Btw my stock Tikka T3X in 30-06 with a Leupold Vx3i 3.5-10x50mm, strap, and a full magazine weighs in at just over 7.5 lbs.

I do recommend the Airtech Limbsaver recoil pad. Well worth the money.