Rifle cleaning anxiety

Does anyone else get a weird anxiety when it comes to cleaning your rifle? I don't know why but seems like I start to get nervous when the rifle gets set on the bench for cleaning. Part of me thinks there's no way I could do anything to that hardened steel barrel with a brass brush, brass jag, and cloth patch especially nothing comparable to a bullet going down the barrel at XX,XXX psi but another part of me thinks that even though I'm using a bore guide, one piece coated rod, and always cleaning from breach to muzzle, the second that patch gets a little hard to push that I'm somehow going to rub the rifling or nick the crown in some crazy way and ruin my nice shooting rifle forever.

Anyone else have this complex or am I just way too OCD with this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
What is this "rifle cleaning" you are referring to? 😁
I pull the bolt, wipe it down, wipe down any blued surfaces with a rag and clp, back in the safe. I do miss the smell of Hoppes, though.

22lr

WKR
For my bolt guns, shotguns and pistols I just run a bore snake down the barrel, wipe off the action and then a quick oil wipe on the surfaces. I havent used a cleaning rod for anything in years.

Brendan

WKR
The one thing that has kept me cleaning my 300 WM every 50 rounds or so, has been the reports I've seen of carbon rings and pressure issues. Too many times for it to be internet myth. But, it could be a reloading thing with certain calibers and powders...

Getting ready to start shooting a new 6.5 CM, I think that will get broken in, not clean it, and track group sizes to see what happens. Should be a much easier gun to shoot too, so curious to see how it goes.

I am OCD though. I was brought up that a gun should be spotless when you go to put it away. We'd even clean and oil the bores nightly at deer camp.

Recently I sent a rifle off for load development. After sighting in all my rifles and before I sent my rifle off I gave the barrels a deep clean, that is until no more copper present and I could see myself in the barrel...lol. That's what I was taught and have been doing for 40 years. Talked to the guy developing my load and he asked if I had done a barrel breakin, as the gun was not < MOA and he was bit surprised as I had got very good results with factory ammo. He said it took a box to get back to < MOA. So I took out some of my other rifles for practice and initial groups had opened up, not huge but normal < MOA to MOA or slightly more, Hmmm, but after 5 to 10 shots they started to tighten up. Each gun and surprisingly brand of ammo was a bit different but noticeable. Eample my 30 06 tightened up faster with Barnes TTSX as opposed to the Hornady ELD-X. I was using up various half shot boxes. Being an engineer the data has convinced me to stop cleaning until accuracy suffers! Will not miss cleaning them!!!!!!!!

I understand what you’re feeling. People have been scared by all the garbage about ruining their barrel.

Not gonna happen, if you want to clean it just clean the thing.

FYI that’s not OCD

Last edited:

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Moving parts get consistent wipe downs and lube, especially gas guns. Bores get patches only, and rarely at that. Modern solvents are so good that there is no need for brushes and other crap. Just get a couple good solvents (that are ammonia free) and run a couple wet patches through. Walk away for 15-30 minutes, come back and run a couple dry patches, then one with CLP. Done. I do this about once a year (or less). Takes longer to type than to do.

I really like boretech... safe to leave in the bore, it works, and doesn't stink or give you a headache. They have a few different products. I just use the origninal "eliminator" and the copper formula. Need to try the rimfire one, as those get the dirtiest.

Reactions: WKR

16Bore

WKR
Wipe Out and Hornady One Shot Cleaner is about as involved as I can get anymore. I do like Safari Charlie for my shotguns though.

OP
ShortMountain91
Surprised by all the comments of folks not cleaning the barrel at all. I would think you would have to see an accuracy impact eventually?

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Following....I think I'm done cleaning my barrels
I've had a very similar reaction. There are a couple precision reloading Youtube channels that I follow, and they too have advocated for a very similar regimen....aka....very minimal cleaning at most. It seems like the more and more I read about not cleaning, the more answers I see that suggest not cleaning until you see (if any) accuracy degradation. Definitely will be going against my instincts, but I'm sure I'll push through it haha.

Rob5589

WKR
Surprised by all the comments of folks not cleaning the barrel at all. I would think you would have to see an accuracy impact eventually?

I would only clean my match barrels if/when accuracy dropped off, which I never really noticed at my shooting ability.
Never "broke in" a barrel, either. Quick wipe to clear any contamination and begin load development.