Rifle cleaning anxiety

smith406

FNG
I like to use a bore snake with the brushes removed after I clean the lug recess’ to make sure I’m not pushing shit into the bore. And will use the same with a little oil for long term storage on blued barrels.

Link_OH

FNG
My muzzleloader is the only thing that gets cleaned more then a quick wipe or spray.... I was a little anxious after shooting a new barrel without cleaning after hearing they needed cleaned but honestly the one I didn't clean shoots better than the one I cleaned... I'm sure there are other factors, but nothing to get too worked up about....;)

smith406

FNG
I clean because I live in an area surrounded by saltwater. It has little to do with accuracy. My guns all get thoroughly cleaned and oiled after shooting and before storage. Otherwise we’re talking rust city after just a few days. The guys who never clean, aren’t your worried about rust/pitting?
I like to use a bore snake with the brushes removed after I wipe the lug recess’ to make sure I’m not pushing shit into the bore. And will use the same with a little oil for long term storage on blued barrels.
Oops, hit post without the quote.
SDHNTR, this was a directed at you.
Do you think that this would be sufficient, are you pulling your stock as well to clean and dry the barreled action?

SDHNTR

WKR
Oops, hit post without the quote.
SDHNTR, this was a directed at you.
Do you think that this would be sufficient, are you pulling your stock as well to clean and dry the barreled action?
If it actually gets wet I will definitely pull from stock to clean under. Otherwise I just pull once in a blue moon to clean under the stock. The bore and the rest of the exposed metal always gets cleaned and oiled for storage tho.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do an initial barrel break in. My cleaning rod is carbon fiber and a brass tip.

After hunting season I will do a quick clean using some hoppes bore cleaner until no blue, and then I run a patch of rem oil thru the barrel, and spray down the bolt with rem oil. Thats on factory barrels, that seem to dirty up quicker than high end barrels. We will see what I end up doing with my custom when its done.

Vinootz

Banned
Does anyone else get a weird anxiety when it comes to cleaning your rifle? I don't know why but seems like I start to get nervous when the rifle gets set on the bench for cleaning. Part of me thinks there's no way I could do anything to that hardened steel barrel with a brass brush, brass jag, and cloth patch especially nothing comparable to a bullet going down the barrel at XX,XXX psi but another part of me thinks that even though I'm using a bore guide, one piece coated rod, and always cleaning from breach to muzzle, the second that patch gets a little hard to push that I'm somehow going to rub the rifling or nick the crown in some crazy way and ruin my nice shooting rifle forever.

Anyone else have this complex or am I just way too OCD with this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Oh the drama. I’m starting to the there are many millennials posting here-lol. Is there no limit to their fool hardy nature?

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Depends some on the barrel. I have one that likes to be cleaned every 30 rounds or so. Others, it doesn't seem to matter. I still use a good boreguide and clean them fairly often.

Mostly cause I was told it helps keeps carbon rings from getting to crazy and ... cause I love the smell of Hoppe's and Butch's bore shine in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
Rifle cleaning anxiety.

Yep. When I get home from a range visit the first thing I do is grab a beverage and break down my guns and clean them. After a hunt I would do the same. Even if I didn't shoot it, I will run a patch through the bore.

On the other hand, some of my hunting buddies don't even brother wiping their guns down after we have been hunting in the rain. They tell me they can't remember when was the last time they cleaned their gun. To each their own.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
On the other hand, some of my hunting buddies don't even brother wiping their guns down after we have been hunting in the rain. They tell me they can't remember when was the last time they cleaned their gun. To each their own.

Same here. I have a text thread with my Wyoming hunting crew titled “Clean my Guns gang” because our friend/guide from WY had a 223 he’s never cleaned….

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I just decided to eliminate the anxiety by not cleaning my rifles anymore. I’ll do the initial break in procedure then won’t clean the barrel other then a bore snake every 100 rounds or so or until groups start really opening up, which hardly ever happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk