Rifle decisions.......

gearguywb

WKR
I have been looking at several rifles lately, particularly in the 6.5 PRC. Something reasonably light, but not stupid light. Equipped with good glass and capable of longer, ethical shots on game.

In no particular order:

1. Seekins Havak ($1800)
2. Fierce Rival ($2300)
3. CA Ridgeline Ti ($2300)
4. Hells Canyon custom Tikka ($3200)
5. GA Precision or R Bros ($5000)

Disclaimer: I have never shot a Tikka, CA or Fierce. Lots of experience years ago with Sako and really liked them. Handled a Tikka the other day and liked it but they don't offer a 6.5 PRC.

Would love the GA (or Rbros) and they actually have one in stock ready to go but the price tag makes my heart skip a beat :)

goosedog

FNG
I own both a Rbros lr hunter 7mm and a CA ridgeline 300wm,I love my RBros rifle but the CA ridgeline shoots just as good for half the price I did swap out the stock on the CA to a Mcmillan game hunter for better eye alignment with a 50mm objective

jpretle

FNG
The 6.5 PRC is not the 'do all', for 'longer, ethical shots', on game.
However, there are 6.5's in some chamberings, quite up to the task.

OP
G

gearguywb

WKR
I think the 6.5 PRC pretty much splits the difference, in a lighter package, than what I currently have (6.5 CM and 300 WM)

Of course finding a good deal on another 300 (300PRC?), or something like a 28 Nosler wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Any one of those will get the job done. Depends on what money you want to spend. If you like the sako actions you will also like the fierce. I do have a fierce In a 6.5 and really like to shoot it. I can say I planned to get a RBros in the 6.5 and almost pulled the trigger so to say but came across a deal I couldn’t pass up on the fierce. Do I think RBros is the better choice between the two... of course. Do I think it is worth 3k more.... yup. Did my wife let me spend it.... nope.

Spoonbill

WKR
Ive shot a couple christensens, a fierce and own a tikka. Between those three I would either go custom tikka or a fierce. Christensen is a remington 700 based action, so you have tons of aftermarket support if you decide to change something.

Never handled a GA Precision but I am sure its great. If thats what you want, then get that.

fatbacks

WKR
I would avoid the fierce in short action cartridges. That sako style action can have some ejection issues with short cartridges. Never had a problem in long action cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seekins Havak seems to be the bang for buck choice. If it doesn't shoot great, pay a little more to have the action fully bedded and get a new barrel on it and you'd still be under $3k. At which point the only benefits of a GA or RBros would be you might be able to choose a stock you like better (havak stock is good) or have a little slicker operating action. The havak carbon mags are great for the PRC.

wyosam

WKR
Seekins Havak seems to be the bang for buck choice. If it doesn't shoot great, pay a little more to have the action fully bedded and get a new barrel on it and you'd still be under $3k. At which point the only benefits of a GA or RBros would be you might be able to choose a stock you like better (havak stock is good) or have a little slicker operating action. The havak carbon mags are great for the PRC.

If an $1800 rifle doesn’t shoot, return it. One can buy sub MOA $400 rifles all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all the choices you mentioned are good (but honestly don't have any first hand experience with Tikka). GA definitely makes a nice rifle, have one now, but not sure I could justify another after picking up a Legendary Arms Works in a 260...really nice rifle, think it has the weight your looking for and shoots pretty good too...

2five7

WKR
I'd add the X-bolt Pro o your list also, priced like the Havak. Should be able to find one local to you to check fit.

wildcat33

WKR

Man I would be bummed if I spent that much for a rifle and then had to go straight out and rebarrel and bed it!

ericF

WKR
The Fierce Rival is based on a Remington 700 Action whereas the Carbon Fury and all the others are the Sako style action. You lose the 3 position safety and I believe it is a different trigger. If you watch the video on their website, they go through some of the differences.

jfs82

WKR
Love my Seekins, I was considering most of these options as well (not the 5k ones) and went with the Seekins (element) over my other top choice (building a tikka) due to it being less expensive, having great reviews from the people over on SH and available much sooner as I wanted it ready for this season. I