Rifle for coyotes

22-250, 223, 243, 204, 17... lots of calibers will get it done. I use a bolt 22-250 most of the time. Ive got a 223 with a 1:8 twist I run 75gr bullets in. That works really well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20" barrel 223/556 AR15 zero at 200 yds. You'll be within 5 inches of POA out to 400 yds. with most varmint bullets. If you're running an AR platform get a good muzzle brake to take advantage of the semi auto follow up shots. I try to be pretty quick with the follow ups (.2-.5 splits) but I'm not out for pelts dont mind a few extra holes.

I mostly looking for opinions on semi-auto vs bolt from people that have used both.
I have used both platforms over the years and always end up back at bolt action. I am much more accurate at long ranges and can be more confident in my accuracy. With that being said, I think it matters what kind of terrain you are hunting in. If you don’t plan on shooting over a hundred yards, an AR may be faster and have all the accuracy you need. Shoot whatever you are more comfortable with.

Shoot whatever you have. There is no such thing as the perfect predator gun. I've killed coyotes with everything from a .17 to a .300wm and probably 2 dozen calibers in between. That said, I kill more predators with a shotgun than anything.

The important thing is knowing your situation. The area where I live in S Texas has a lot of brush (I guess that's why we're referred to as the "brush country") and coyotes don't like coming out into wide open spaces. Why would they? Their best hunting and best protection is in that brush. On the other hand, If I was headed to a friend's place in west Texas or Arizona, where there's lots of open ground and places to set up an overwatch, I need something setup for longer shots. However, I don't know any serious predator hunter that doesn't carry a shotgun to every set for those sneaky dogs that get right on top of you. Its very hard to get a LR rifle or a heavy AR up and twist around to get off shots on a coyote hauling ass away; but a good 12ga with a super tight choke and a 3" Dead Coyote load will easily get you out to 70yds every time. No matter where I'm calling, that gun is always in my lap or laying next to me, ready to be used on a second's notice. Calling coyotes is a part of my living and aside from my Winchester SX3 12ga, I don't have a dedicated coyote gun - I have several rifles I normally choose from:

AR15 SBR in .223
CZ 527.204 Ruger
Custom 6.5 CM
Ruger .17Hornet

The .17 Hornet is great on fur and is perfect for bobcats but I hate it for coyotes because it doesn't have the stopping power on marginal shots, which do occur. The .204 is terrific but mine just doesn't cycle as smoothly as I'd like so it's not my favorite rifle. My 6.5 is overkill and makes a mess of fur besides being unwieldy; BUT I can head shoot a coyote at 400yds with it and I DO love incredible accuracy. It's my go-to rifle for open country. My SBR is very handy and is my #2 gun, after my 12ga. I wish I could get better accuracy out of that 10.5" Noveske barrel but it only shoots about 1.25moa which makes it my least accurate rifle. I'm in the process of adding a micro red dot in an offset mount to help me with close range shots. I should have done this years ago, when the micros first came out. I think its almost a prerequisite if a predator hunter is only going to carry a single gun. I'm considering swapping to a 12.5" barrel to see if I can get a little better accuracy. However, I'm also considering building a upper in .224 Valkyrie and another in 6.5 Grendel to test out.

As with anything rifle-related, your sight(s) are probably more important than your caliber unless you're selling your fur, which I am not. Folks run down the rabbit hole on calibers but really, for most situations, the caliber is almost irrelevant. What matters is your ability to 'get on' an animal. Heck, even your trigger is often more important than the caliber you're shooting.

The last thing I'll say is that I thing the LR shooting craze (of which I am a fellow victim) has gotten both new and experienced predator hunters to jump into a often unnecessary rabbit hole. There's always talk of long range shots on coyotes and I'm not debating that it occurs but I will point out that these shots make up a tiny percentage of most shot opportunities. We all like the bragging rights to a coyote we dropped at distance; however, even in places where we can see coyotes at great distances, most experienced predator hunters will not start popping of at coyotes at great distances. Not once we have a shot or two under our belt to brag about. Why would we? There's no advantage to shooting a coyote at 500 yards. If you wait for him to come in as close as you can you will not only increase your odds of success, you stand a better chance of picking uo additional coyotes coming in. What's more impressive: a picture of a dead coyote you say you shot at 528yds or a bonafide triple? Would you rather end your day with 2 dead coyotes from LR shots or a giant pile of fur? I'm way more impressed with a pile of fur, and so are the landowners. I would always prefer the gun(s) that allow me to be the most effective at normal ranges.

Sorry for the very long post.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a rifle for coyotes. I want to go as inexpensive as I can. I don't know if I should go with a bolt action or a semi-auto like an AR. Any suggestions from you guys that hunt coyotes regularly?

Go to AR Performance, and get a 224 Predator (224 Grendel) it’s worth every penny. It can be built for a fairly inexpensive cost, but it outperforms the 224 Valkyrie, and is on the low end of 22-250 performance in an AR package.

I’ve got a custom turned barrel, but it’s a coyote hammer!

02cad596360fe0ac160f7c7fc8f2e943.plist

Last edited:

C2hunting

FNG
I personally prefer bolt action over AR platform when there is a budget involved. You are way more likely to get a more accurate budget rifle out of a bolt than an AR.

TTurboEE

FNG
I have used both Rem 700 in 22-250, And an AR in 223. I really like the 22-250 if shot opportunities can be expected beyond 300yr, if shot opportunities are within 300yr then AR would be my choice. Have only hunted coyotes in the PNW and if I'm hunting the west side I have an AR, East side rifle. Since moving to the midwest I'll probably be using my AR.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It depends where you are hunting, shot distances, calling versus spot and stalk etc. Tactics and practice will knock down way more dogs than “the right caliber” ever will.

Use the tool that’s going to help you be the most successful.

For spot and stalk and long range situations I really like my Sako .260. Shoots flat and knocks them hard.

When calling there are a number of different rigs that work really well. A lot of guys have switched to the AR and semi auto platform for calling since follow up shots are real easy, or getting doubles and triples is a little easier.

Lately I’ve been finding myself grabbing my Cooper in .204 Ruger for calling them in. Shot distances are shorter and I like a very accurate rifle for taking shots at them while they are on the move. The Hornady Superformance 40 grain pills are just deadly on them. I shot this one last night at 285 yards. Dropped where he stood.

CC2F89E0-0BBA-4990-9CDF-A9F5C702025A.jpeg

3sdad

FNG
204 and 40 grain v max. good combo and flat shooting. Had 4 dogs last year at that 400+- 20 yards. All DRT. Inside 100, glancing blows so to speak can get ugly, but still puts them down. I'm a bolt guy for coyotes. In my experience when calling coyotes, follow up shots are't common. When I do have a follow up, it's because its the second or third dog i'm trying to put down, in which case I have good success getting them to stop just before they're gone forever with a pup distress. A lot of good options out there though. Good luck

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I find myself using a good ol .243 more than anything. I've got a Browning x-bolt .243 with a Nikon 4-12 bdc reticle scope. I went on to the nikon website to plug in my ballistic info for the round i use in that gun since we do have opportunity at longer shots and got my ranges per reticle. I have a hand drawn diagram taped to the stock of my gun at the two powers i use most. With that being said, we have also used a .22-250 a bit as well. Its a flat shootin little booger and does the job as good as anything else. We've used a couple ar's and i personally did not like them. More times than not, i reach for my .243 before anything else. It's all preference and availability in my opinion. Especially when it comes to the ammo used.

SoDaky

WKR
"20" barrel 223/556 AR15 zero at 200 yds. You'll be within 5 inches of POA out to 400 yds. with most varmint bullets. If you're running an AR platform get a good muzzle brake to take advantage of the semi auto follow up shots. I try to be pretty quick with the follow ups (.2-.5 splits) but I'm not out for pelts dont mind a few extra holes "

Sorry.Way off.Much more than 5 inches.

One thing I would wonder is if you want to preserve the pelt or no? AR will have the benefit of quicker follow up shots but usually require a barrel upgrade to be comparable to the accuracy of a bolt action. A very accomplished old timer I know told me that if I didnt want to preserve pelts then I should hunt with my big game rifle. He practices on varmints with his 300 win mag and it shows because he is an absolute dead eye. I like .243 (58Gr Vmaxs are screamers), 22-250, 220 swift, and 223 but my personal favorite is the 204 Ruger. I shoot handloads with 35gr Berger's and it's hard hitting on yotes, shoots like a laser, and kicks literally like a bb gun. There arent many bad choices, alot of it is preference.