Rifle for coyotes

Tikka .243. Light weight and has held zero like a champ since the day I bought it 10 years ago. I do have an AR for coyote hunting as well in 6.5 Grendel. These two were in a pack of 6. Can’t say for sure I would have gotten more with an AR in my hands but 4 shots in a bolt gun on 6 coyotes isn’t the most ideal scenario. 4C5ECC3C-2B02-42E4-B6CC-C934DE1E462E.jpeg

farmin

FNG
for a budget gun I really enjoy my ruger american in 6.5 creedmor with a redfield 4-12 scope

CP6

FNG
I built a 204 Ruger and like it a lot for anything under 300 yards which is basically the max distance I can shoot coyotes where I hunt. I think even with the Wilson Combat barrel and CMC trigger, the entire build was sub $1,000. Just took my time and shopped around. Aero Precision upper and lower, UTG guard, I think I got a deal on the BCG somewhere. Sub MOA and good for when I might need a second follow up.

tanto

FNG
For cheap.. I’d go Ruger American in .204 if you could find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the cheap, there are several new Remington model 7 predators for sale in 22-250 and 6 mm Remington (and 243 I think) for less than $500 on gunbroker. With a little tuning, these guns will shoot! You could do worse!

wgood

FNG
I used a Savage Stevens 200 in .223 for the last 8 or so years, it was pretty accurate and lightweight. Also only paid 200 bucks for it. I recently upgraded to a Remington model Seven Predator in 22-250. I like bolt action rifles better for coyotes, just due to personal preference and its much cheaper to get a bolt in 22-250 than an AR. That being said, each style has its pro's and con's, just something you need to decide on which would be more useful for you.

ChrisA

WKR
I've shot a couple dozen with a 17 Mach IV and 25 grain Berger HP, farthest was 311 yards. Most were called coyotes but that combo really drops them and hides are unharmed.

I've shot quite a few with my match rifle in 6.5x47 using Berger 140 Hybrids. This bullet holds together well and I always get an exit and the coyote runs 60+ yards.

If not saving pelts, something in between would be ideal. Large capacity 22s like 220 swift, 22-250, 22 Creedmoor, and 6mm are where I'm looking these days. Load a fairly frangible bullet for the "bang-flop" yet tough enough for penetration with less than ideal impacts.

Bolt actions for me

Chris

Stevens model 200 .223 here with a leupold 3x9
affordable and shoots lights out for what I need.

litewings

FNG
I have used several different rifles for different situations. 6mm Rem in heavy barrel Rem 700 when I think long shots and accuracy are going to be the main concern. Winchester 70 lightweight in 223 for easier carrying and decent accuracy. And recently an AR in 223, jury still out on this one. Not the accuracy I'm used to.

whtlhnter

FNG
I used an AR for the longest time and recently changed to a bolt gun. For me I just like it better. Use what you’re comfortable with.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking to build, I've been wicked impressed with my PSA upper. I got mine w/ a 16" barrel mid-length gas system in 5.56 and it's shoot lights out with Frontier 55gr HPs.

If you're looking bolt, I'd look hard at Savage/Stevens. The 200s are an awesome rifle for the money, and can be rebuilt with savage parts if you're looking to go DIY custom. Off the shelf, it's hard to find a rifle that'll shoot better for less than the Axis II

cmahoney

WKR
AR, I currently use a bolt action .223 and totally missed out on a double that I am pretty sure I could have got with a semi this year. I have a lower I plan on using to put together a .224 Valkyrie when I have some extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Coyotes are easy to kill.

I would get whatever is the most accurate rifle you can affor.

The Ruger American in .223 or 22-250 is nice.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a cheap Savage or Ruger American in 22-250 and find a used Leupold VX3 or if you want to spend less, go with a Burris Fullfield.

Nothing wrong with an AR, but after running numerous bolt guns vs my AR for coyotes I’ll never have a need or desire to use anything but a bolt action.

My main attraction to the bolt action is better ergonomics(subjective) and lighter weight.

I am currently using a ‘91 model 700 varmint special(heavy barrel) in 22-250with a Leupold VX6. It’s got the old walnut BDL stock. It is a hammer and arguably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I’ve shot coyotes with it from 40 yds to 325.

I prefer a heavier barrel to put more weight out front. It keeps my steadier on my bog pod and right where I need to be for smooth, quick follow up shots when I have the opportunity for a double.

If you know how to run your bolt action, you will not feel like an AR gives you much of or any of an advantage.

I've used all sorts of different bullets out of it but my favorite is the Hornady 50 gr Vmax. They are absolutely lethal. I normally shoot them in the neck/head/face if it is running at me or in the shoulder if it is broadside. Coyote double.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at getting a rifle for coyotes. I want to go as inexpensive as I can. I don't know if I should go with a bolt action or a semi-auto like an AR. Any suggestions from you guys that hunt coyotes regularly?
Might just be me I hunt with both usually make a better first shot when in the back of my mind I don’t have a quick second shot