Rifle for coyotes

I went nosler over the .223 because of the speed. It’s much faster out of the same length barrel, and I should be getting some really good speed out of the hand loads my buddy is making. 22-250 would be good also, I just don’t see the ammo around here very often. My buddy reloads for me but I don’t want to bank on that and .22 nosler being such a boutique caliber made me realize why I should have went with something more readily available. 22-250 is probably a better choice than a .243 for coyotes, but I know a bunch of guys running the .243 and it’s very proven around here.
I believe it would be a great coyote caliber but do you know how it would perform on fox and bobcat?

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
My 224 Grendel has been updated. Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50mm and a DA Nomad. I’m seriously considering the new Magpul PRS Lite in the future!
d5bb56d9f871470869aa37bf60fd1eb1.jpg

Smid

WKR
I believe it would be a great coyote caliber but do you know how it would perform on fox and bobcat?

That, I’m not sure about. We don’t get money for fur around here so I don’t take much consideration into being fur friendly

I understand that struggle I just would like to get a few fox and a few bobcats tanned. They are pretty animals.

TheGDog

WKR
ARs have stupid heavy trigger pulls and require other upgrades to make them accurate at longer ranges.
^^^THIS.

I finally got around to putting in a CMC straight trigger that's like, maybe 2-3Lbs. Such a wonderful change! The stock one was reDONKulously hard... like 11Lbs or something like that! Apparently because it was intended as a CQB model is why they had a heavy trigger on it, apparently.

Yotehntr

FNG
It depends are you wanting fur friendly or lay 'em down right there? For fur friendly a bolt gun in 17 rem. I have a few. For a hammer the 22-250 is hard to beat. I just retired and my wifes retirement present to me ( she didn't know it lol) was a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 22-250. The one below @ 250 yards.
IMG_7281.jpg

Wsud

FNG
A good inexpensive option is a ruger american. Can even get one that takes pmags for extra rounds if your state allows. Good shooting rifles for the money

In today's time it's the one you can get ammo for. I have a Savage 110 Predator in 204 and AR in 223 for night hunting. Thinking of getting a 22-250 bolt gun but ammo is almost non-existent

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I’d find a heavy barreled 22-250. For me, the only drawback is weight while carrying which is off set by ease of accuracy that the weight provides. I would shop around for a used Savage or Rem 700 Varmint Special(made from the 70’s thru early 90’s). Sometimes you can find a really good deal.

I’ve used AR’s. They are fine I just don’t care for the way they carry. Bolt action .204 was fun to shoot but I felt under gunned after having a couple run away on shots that I don’t think we’re marginal. My CZ .243 was a hammer on coyotes but I didn’t care for the trigger and the stock needed work so I dumped it.

I stumbled into a steal of a deal at the used gun counter at Scheels on a neglected 30+ year old Remington 700 varmint special(NOT the same as the existing 700 varmint) chambered in 22-250 for $500. Was covered in light surface rust and the bore looked rough but the stock was good and it had a nice trigger so I figured I could get most of my money back if it was a dud. I spent four hours cleaning it up that night and got the bore looking shiny outside of one small stubborn spot and nearly all of the surface rust cleaned off without showing evidence of previous existence. I put a leupold VX-6 3-18x44 on it.

Next day at the range, I shot 5 different brands of ammo and all would put 5 shot groups in under 1” with the best the best being 50 gr V-Max grouping at 7/10”.

Here’s a pic from a double. First was killed at 71 yards, next was stepped off at 290. I love this rifle.

Attachments

• 70E8B177-5056-4381-BFAA-D5470FC843BB.jpeg
    70E8B177-5056-4381-BFAA-D5470FC843BB.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 35

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
There is a line of Rem 700 heavy barrels with the Bell and Carlson stock. Replace the trigger to an aftermarket. I reload, but have found factory 50-55 gr group well. Rifles shoots flat.

TheGDog

WKR
If you have to hike-around to make your sets, I'd imagine you'd be happier with a bolt gun. Another thing to consider if you have to hike-in to your spots is that with a bolt-gun... if you lean it upon a bush or rock to take a piss and it falls over and gets dirt into the barrel... it's super easy in the field to yank the bolt and run a Bore-Snake thru it real quick.

If it's an AR, I'd imagine having one with a flip-up dust-cover for the ejection port. That way if it falls over you only have to worry about the barrel.

Also... with an AR... even though I don't like muzzle brakes, I have noticed they do seem to help to prevent dirt from getting into the barrel in those instances where the rifle happens to fall over to the dirt. Or you're tired on the trail and a stumble happens when a rock or root catches a tired foot.

TMillett

FNG
Looking at getting a rifle for coyotes. I want to go as inexpensive as I can. I don't know if I should go with a bolt action or a semi-auto like an AR. Any suggestions from you guys that hunt coyotes regularly?
I have went through a lot of rifles trying to find what I like. Currently have a howa 1500 in 6.5 grendle and I love it. I was shooting a bergara in .243 and that was an awesome rifle as well. I don’t think you can go wrong with the howa or bergara.

OP
MuleyFever
Love that this thread is still going. I ended up with a howa 1500 in 6mm CM but I decided it wasnt for me. Loved the caliber but the gun was not the one. I think I will try another option in 6mm. Now I just need to find it. I wish Tikka would do a compact in 6mm CM. I am waiting for my 280ai Tikka build. If it turns out I may rebarrel my Kimber Montana from 280ai to 6mm CM.

Love that this thread is still going. I ended up with a howa 1500 in 6mm CM but I decided it wasnt for me. Loved the caliber but the gun was not the one. I think I will try another option in 6mm. Now I just need to find it. I wish Tikka would do a compact in 6mm CM. I am waiting for my 280ai Tikka build. If it turns out I may rebarrel my Kimber Montana from 280ai to 6mm CM.
Don't over look a 6spc. It's a pretty sweet little cartridge. What didn't you like about the howa? The local store has a howa mini in 6.5grendal that iv been eyeing.

TheGDog

WKR
I definitely would NOT want to go bigger than .223 on Bobcat! The one I shot with 62 gr Barnes TSX had a big ol hole torn thru him, because the shot hapened to hit a li bit of shoulder blade and completely took out and removed a section of the spine.

And yes, I realize there are much better .223 rounds for this activity. This was last day of my deer season in 2019, so he was not the intended object of my pursuit. But I hd the tag in my pocket and freaking NEwscum was about to Ban them the next year, and he sauntered thru at 25yds, so I just had to!

Bobcat Wound CROPD.jpg

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
First if you are saving fur, (maybe you said & I missed it) go with a .223 and pick your bullets. I've sold probably a hundred coyotes and a handful of bobcats. My favorite fur bullet is the Speer 52gr hp with the bigger opening. The Hornady sx works great on slow twist barrels.

If you aren't saving fur, any flat shooting round works fine. I've used the Hornady 75gr hp in a .257 Roberts and the .25-06 quite a bit with good results as well as a .22-250.

I've used mini14s, ARs, and bolt guns in .223 the most. The .22-250 quite a bit, and many larger.