Rifle for my 9 year old son

541hunter

WKR
I have pretty much settled on the new 110 savage ultralight for my sons first rifle due to the adjustability of fit and budget. It will be shot suppressed using a ultra 7 and will be topped with a zeiss v4 4-16 x50. I’m struggling on caliber. My choices are between the 6.5 creed, 6.5prc, and 280 ai. He is about 70lbs and scrawny. His first hunt will be spring bear in 2021 followed by deer and elk. Thanks in advance for the input.

P Carter

WKR
Following, I’m in nearly the same boat. (Not sure about the suppressor—I like the concept but they appear to be pricey!) I’d also be open to .243.

crich

WKR
Lucky little fella! I'd stick with the last two based on your choice of game but 6.5 creed has so much ammo availability that might be appealing to you as he grows. Recoil wise you know your boy and what he can potentially handle. Ultimately the best caliber is the one he is the most comfortable shooting and can make solid hits with.

The 6.5 creed is what my son shoots and has no problem with it. He was 10 and weighed about 60lbs. It was a prefect gun at the time and it will still get the job done but he is growing more and in time I think the 280ai would have been a better overall gun for him.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Following, I’m in nearly the same boat. (Not sure about the suppressor—I like the concept but they appear to be pricey!) I’d also be open to .243.

They are definitely pricey but worth it. I really hope my son(s) don’t have to deal with constant ringing in their ears at 31 like I do.

P Carter

WKR
They are definitely pricey but worth it. I really hope my son(s) don’t have to deal with constant ringing in their ears at 31 like I do.
I hear you on that; I don’t have the ringing but I think the suppressor would do wonders to avoid flinching.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
1,200 rifle and 1K scope, due to budget. LOL

Sorry bro. You lost me there.

6.5 CM, since you asked. He's 70 lbs.

I understand the sentiment but $1200 for a rifle is middle of the road and same with $1k scope. Everyone’s budget is different. If I could afford a custom rifle for him I would. It also lessens the blow knowing that it will be passed down to his 2 year old brother when the time comes. 6.5 creed is what I was leaning towards.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
I put together a gun for my wife that's similar and I went 7mm 08. My 10 yr old shoots it fine and I liked it so much I took it out this year elk hunting. It would be a caliber to at least consider if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

My wife shoots a 7mm-08 so fortunately I have a tikka t3x chambered in it already in the safe. I think it will probably be the solution for elk. I think the lop maybe a touch long. Thanks for the input!

But what are you going to do with a child who was given a $2200 rifle/scope combo for his first rifle? That's what I mean man. If you have the budget, good for you. But make him earn it at least

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
But what are you going to do with a child who was given a $2200 rifle/scope combo for his first rifle? That's what I mean man. If you have the budget, good for you. But make him earn it at least
Dude it's not your kid. If that's the rifle he's gonna set him up with that's the rifle he's gonna set him up with. Why do you have to say make him earn it? How do you know he hasn't ?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 6.5 creed. Ammo choices the main reason. That .280 is a sweet rifle though. I have a little girl, when she's ready , if she decides to hunt I'll set her up with a 6.5 or a 7mm-08

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR

Oh I see it was parenting advice..... He is also not being given the rifle. It will be one setup for his use and his brother’s use when he is of age. His first rifles were a Crickett 22lr and a Henry golden boy chambered in 22lr, which he got the day he was born as did his brother. He is only 9 and has no concept of value when it comes to rifles or scopes. I get what your saying (and agree with you) when it comes to most things in child’s life like video games, cars, toys or what not

7-08 is what I plan on getting my daughter when she is ready and gets a little bigger. The only reason my son got one new at such a young age was because he was left handed and needed a smaller lop because of his size. I also was a little over excited about buying him a gun. Looking back I should have just had him shoot what was in the safe and waited until he was bigger to get him something really nice for his dedicated big game gun. The way it is now I will probably get him a really nice shotgun once he gets a little bigger.

Oh I see it was parenting advice..... He is also not being given the rifle. It will be one setup for his use and his brother’s use when he is of age. His first rifles were a Crickett 22lr and a Henry golden boy chambered in 22lr, which he got the day he was born as did his brother. He is only 9 and has no concept of value when it comes to rifles or scopes. I get what your saying (and agree with you) when it comes to most things in child’s life like video games, cars, toys or what not
my kids got single shot .243 CVA Hunters bc it was simple, safe and easy for them to operate. It also did the job for the ranges they would be capable of shooting.

When I was 70 lbs I was working changing water pipe all summer. TF is wrong with you dude. You don't know what goes on in people's lives. Who the hell are you to give parenting advice

You need to calm tf down

Asking questions and offering suggestions is not violating any rules here.