Rifle for my 9 year old son

gbflyer

WKR
I put one together for my younger son about that age. Stock with spacer system, light weight, no recoil with suppressor, the whole works. He doesn’t like it and carries around my Model 92 carbine knock off in .357 mag. Funny what grabs them.

Sorry I missed the part where he said shooting only out to 150 yds.
Perhaps he's thinking buy one rifle that will last a lifetime and be handed down after the second son.
His money to spend as he sees fit.
Seems advice on caliber is warranted not advice on how to spend his own money.

I agree with the 7mm-08 folks.
The 150 yards was my comment, based on the age and weight of the kid. I don't know too many 9 year olds who are skilled enough to be ethically shooting beyond that range (many shouldn't be shooting beyond 75 yards) but perhaps his kid is the exception to that rule of thumb. Only he knows that. I wouldn't let my daughter shoot beyond 100 yards as a 12-13 year old even after she completed years of 4-H rifle projects. The idea of her wounding and losing one was something I didn't want. That could easily end a young person's hunting career.

But you're right. His money and he can spend it however he wants. I didn't see the OP getting upset by my comments so I'm not sure why anyone else did. All the advice on this forum is free of charge and folks are free to take it or leave it.

Getting a kid a lifetime hunting rifle, when they're ready for it, is a good thing. I still cherish the model 94 30-30 my father gave me for Christmas when I was 14 and it will never leave my possession until I pass. My son has had his eye on it for a long time too. LOL

Having now owned two of the new Savage Lightweight Storms (one short and one long action) I would wholeheartedly recommend them for a young or new hunter. I suppose the only difference between them and the Ultralight is an $800 barrel.

Ya'll have fun out there.

I have pretty much settled on the new 110 savage ultralight for my sons first rifle due to the adjustability of fit and budget. It will be shot suppressed using a ultra 7 and will be topped with a zeiss v4 4-16 x50. I’m struggling on caliber. My choices are between the 6.5 creed, 6.5prc, and 280 ai. He is about 70lbs and scrawny. His first hunt will be spring bear in 2021 followed by deer and elk. Thanks in advance for the input.
I have the Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. Since the 7mm-08 is not an option on that line, I recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shouldn’t be an issue from a recoil perspective and it’s capable of killing your target species.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
The 150 yards was my comment, based on the age and weight of the kid. I don't know too many 9 year olds who are skilled enough to be ethically shooting beyond that range (many shouldn't be shooting beyond 75 yards) but perhaps his kid is the exception to that rule of thumb. Only he knows that. I wouldn't let my daughter shoot beyond 100 yards as a 12-13 year old even after she completed years of 4-H rifle projects. The idea of her wounding and losing one was something I didn't want. That could easily end a young person's hunting career.

But you're right. His money and he can spend it however he wants. I didn't see the OP getting upset by my comments so I'm not sure why anyone else did. All the advice on this forum is free of charge and folks are free to take it or leave it.

Getting a kid a lifetime hunting rifle, when they're ready for it, is a good thing. I still cherish the model 94 30-30 my father gave me for Christmas when I was 14 and it will never leave my possession until I pass. My son has had his eye on it for a long time too. LOL

Having now owned two of the new Savage Lightweight Storms (one short and one long action) I would wholeheartedly recommend them for a young or new hunter. I suppose the only difference between them and the Ultralight is an $800 barrel.

Ya'll have fun out there.
Sorry I got pissed. I guess I took it wrong. I see so much on here where a parent is critical of another over the stupidest stuff and it's grinds my gears. I'd already seen it about 4 times yesterday and then came across your comment and a couple drinks later I decided to get irritated. I apologise for that and taking what you said wrong. Also yes to your question about making 2200 dollars when I was 70 lbs. I was roughly 10 years old and worked on neighboring ranches a couple of them hauling pipe and would make roughly 3k over the course of an intire summer working 2 ranches. Of course I wasn't paying taxes at 10 years old to prove that. So take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sorry I got pissed. I guess I took it wrong. I see so much on here where a parent is critical of another over the stupidest stuff and it's grinds my gears. I'd already seen it about 4 times yesterday and then came across your comment and a couple drinks later I decided to get irritated. I apologise for that and taking what you said wrong. Also yes to your question about making 2200 dollars when I was 70 lbs. I was roughly 10 years old and worked on neighboring ranches a couple of them hauling pipe and would make roughly 3k over the course of an intire summer working 2 ranches. Of course I wasn't paying taxes at 10 years old to prove that. So take it with a grain of salt.

I was doing the same for my grandfather at that age, driving tractors, hauling irrigation pipe and building fence, but was getting paid in my grandmother's meals and a place to stay all summer away from my sisters. LOL Sounds like you were making bank!

No need to apologize. We both took this way off topic. My apology is to the OP for doing so. Hope he finds the right "lifetime" rifle for his son.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I was doing the same for my grandfather at that age, driving tractors, hauling irrigation pipe and building fence, but was getting paid in my grandmother's meals and a place to stay all summer away from my sisters. LOL Sounds like you were making bank!

No need to apologize. We both took this way off topic. My apology is to the OP for doing so. Hope he finds the right "lifetime" rifle for his son.
Agree. Hahaha and that's what you get for working for family

I just started my 10 yr old off on big game last year. We elected to go with a smaller starter gun, and used a cut down Tikka SL in .223. He took two deer with that, and this year (11) he was able to transition to using my 30-06 with Hornady Lite low recoil loads. As both were Tikka's, the manual of arms was identical and he had no trouble with the gun and shot very well

Where I'm going with this though is the suppressor part of the equation. The .223 was a fluted SL barrel, and he could handle it from an improvised rest (pack). On the other hand, I had set the 30-06 up with the suppressor to mitigate recoil and noise. He did very well with it at the range, but the extra weight forced the use of a bipod. In the field that was a surprisingly serious handicap for him. Down in the dirt he couldn't see well and he struggled with tracking the rapidly moving animals while staying behind the gun. He also couldn't easily carry the entire package due to length and bulk of both the suppressor and bipod.

I think we will be sticking with the lighter, short barreled, un-suppressed rifles for field use for a couple more years before he makes the final transition to full-fat. We will continue to use the suppressor, but primarily for range use. He enjoys the process a lot more when he isn't struggling with the tool in the field.

Caliber wise, the obvious choice to me is the 6.5 CM. In your shoes, I would also consider a smaller scope to keep the balance low. You can always trade it out in a couple years.

IMG_8659.JPG

Laramie

WKR
I'm not familiar with the Ultra 7 but in my very limited suppressor experience, suppressors also reduce some recoil so that opens some options up imo. Depending on you kids tolerance for recoil, and the amount of recoil reduction created by the Ultra 7, I would kick the idea of the 6.5 PRC around. Our camp took several elk this season using that round and I was flat impressed. That said, the 6.5CM is a great round. Good luck and happy hunting. I'm in the middle of mentoring my second son through the process. I can't think of anything better to do...

TheGDog

WKR
Dude it's not your kid. If that's the rifle he's gonna set him up with that's the rifle he's gonna set him up with. Why do you have to say make him earn it? How do you know he hasn't ?

He's just saying that because that sounds like an extravagant setup for a kid. Especially since with kids ya just don't know if they are going to take to liking an activity you elect to introduce them too sometimes. So if it's just "handed to him" the kid doesn't have any emotional buy-in to it. Makes it easy for them to be "Meh" and lukewarm or cold to the idea, cause there's no build up to it.

He's just saying that because that sounds like an extravagant setup for a kid. Especially since with kids ya just don't know if they are going to take to liking an activity you elect to introduce them too sometimes. So if it's just "handed to him" the kid doesn't have any emotional buy-in to it. Makes it easy for them to be "Meh" and lukewarm or cold to the idea, cause there's no build up to it.
You said it better than I did. But as several have pointed out, the OP wasn't asking for parenting advice. So mea culpa. Couldn't help my reaction.

I was an elite level (nat'l and world champs) youth coach in another equipment-intensive sport for over 15 years. I saw a lot of well-to-do parents spend thousands on new gear for their kids who were brand new to the sport. They later took a bath on the gear selling it often for less than half what they paid just months before. So I'm well tuned to this specific phenomenon, based on that experience. Can't tell you how many "wish I took your advice" conversations I had over those years after having encouraged those parents to start with the basics and make sure the kid had some skin in the game...

That said, good firearms tend to hold their value, so it's less likely to happen here.

TheGDog

WKR
You said it better than I did. But as several have pointed out, the OP wasn't asking for parenting advice. So mea culpa. Couldn't help my reaction.

I was an elite level (nat'l and world champs) youth coach in another equipment-intensive sport for over 15 years. I saw a lot of well-to-do parents spend thousands on new gear for their kids who were brand new to the sport. They later took a bath on the gear selling it often for less than half what they paid just months before. So I'm well tuned to this specific phenomenon, based on that experience. Can't tell you how many "wish I took your advice" conversations I had over those years after having encouraged those parents to start with the basics and make sure the kid had some skin in the game...

That said, good firearms tend to hold their value, so it's less likely to happen here.
Right.. for me it happened with Dirt Bikes. For years I'd dreamed of being able to go on rides with a child of my own. Had to wait 38 long years before he was even a reality. Then all the waiting for him to grow up. And while he did kind of enjoy it... for him it just took one or two little flop overs when I had him trying solo with the XR50 and him mildly taking one side of the handlebar to the chest a lil bit, coupled with struggling to lift her back up to her feet, convinced him at that time that he couldn't do it solo. And once they've got a bad experience in their memory banks about a thing... it's damn hard to get 'em to persist and try again and work past their pre-conceived feelings about it after that. So riding on the back of an Xr50 together with him was what became required. And I'm sorry, but with my injuries, hammering around on an XR50 where the suspension is completely bottomed out and begging for mercy because Papa's on the darn thing... makes for a painful day. And then soon after my vision started to nose dive hard, so I just let go of that one.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
I understand the sentiment but this is a rifle that is highly modular (can easily change comb ht and lop). For now, the primary user will be him but it will be passed on down to my youngest when he is of age, my wife can shoot it and i can even take it out. Maybe i should refer to it as a long time family rifle. I wonder if the thread was titled a "new gun for me that my child can hunt with" would have changed some of the responses on this thread. Its a middle of the road priced rifle and scope. This isn't a $5000 custom rifle that he will outgrow in a couple years and no one else can shoot. It also bewilders me why this is considered an extravagant setup on a forum where people pay $5000+ for rifles, $500 -$1000 for backpacks and the same for tents.

Laramie

WKR
I understand the sentiment but this is a rifle that is highly modular (can easily change comb ht and lop). For now, the primary user will be him but it will be passed on down to my youngest when he is of age, my wife can shoot it and i can even take it out. Maybe i should refer to it as a long time family rifle. I wonder if the thread was titled a "new gun for me that my child can hunt with" would have changed some of the responses on this thread. Its a middle of the road priced rifle and scope. This isn't a $5000 custom rifle that he will outgrow in a couple years and no one else can shoot. It also bewilders me why this is considered an extravagant setup on a forum where people pay $5000+ for rifles, $500 -$1000 for backpacks and the same for tents.
It's all perspective. I have been hunting for over 30 years. I have a nice house and drive a 2 year old truck. The nicest rifle I own, with scope, bipod, sling, etc was about $1600 new. I consider this rifle setup to be great and I can shoot it well. Nothing wrong with spending more but the setup you describe is far from "middle of the road" to the average hunter. Middle of the road to the average hunter is a Remington 700 or similar with a decent scope- total cost about 1k. Cheap are the package deals like the axis or 770 with a scope for $299 on sale.

My bad. I don't consider a $2200 setup to be "middle of the road." I guess for some folks, it is though.

Yes, if the question was about a family rifle that would work for your 70 lb. 9 year-old too, then I probably would have viewed the suggested rig a little differently. But consider the opinions worth what you paid for them. Only yours matters in the end.

Like I said, the new Savage stocks make a lot of sense for what you're trying to do. I love mine.

wyosam

WKR

I’m getting to a very similar place as you with the logic you described here. My wife has shown an interest in hunting again, which happens every few years, and most often fizzles before it gets off the ground. She wants to kill an elk, and the 243 she has used for antelope is on the light side, though a friend’s kid did kill an elk with it. She would like something a little more elk appropriate. She is small and needs a short LOP. Realistically, there is a very good chance whatever I’m buying will not get much use by her, so it might as well be a good loaner or something I can use as well. I’m pretty settled on the Savage ultralight. Now, the smart move would be another Creed. I’m entirely confident in my hand loads being solid performers on elk, especially at the distances she’ll be shooting. Another creed is boring though, so it is likely going to be either a PRC or more likely the 280ai. I can load either down for her to tame the recoil, and I’ve got something new and interesting to load for. She will have a great rifle to use if/when she wants, and if she doesn’t I don’t feel like a bought a safe queen that will never get used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the 6.5 CM will eventually become the "do-all" caliber for so many folks. Like the venerable 6.5x55 Swede and .260 Rem, it just does so many things very well and doesn't beat up the shooter on the back end. I won't be replacing my 7mm-08 with one anytime soon, but that's only because that's my backup elk rifle to my '06, and I like the option of heavier bullets in the 7mm-08. But for a dedicated deer/antelope/caribou rifle for the family, the 6.5 CM just makes a lot of sense.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
I’m getting to a very similar place as you with the logic you described here. My wife has shown an interest in hunting again, which happens every few years, and most often fizzles before it gets off the ground. She wants to kill an elk, and the 243 she has used for antelope is on the light side, though a friend’s kid did kill an elk with it. She would like something a little more elk appropriate. She is small and needs a short LOP. Realistically, there is a very good chance whatever I’m buying will not get much use by her, so it might as well be a good loaner or something I can use as well. I’m pretty settled on the Savage ultralight. Now, the smart move would be another Creed. I’m entirely confident in my hand loads being solid performers on elk, especially at the distances she’ll be shooting. Another creed is boring though, so it is likely going to be either a PRC or more likely the 280ai. I can load either down for her to tame the recoil, and I’ve got something new and interesting to load for. She will have a great rifle to use if/when she wants, and if she doesn’t I don’t feel like a bought a safe queen that will never get used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m intrigued by the 280 ai but it will be to much for my 9yo to handle. I think my wife probably could handle it especially with a suppressor or brake

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
I think the 6.5 CM will eventually become the "do-all" caliber for so many folks. Like the venerable 6.5x55 Swede and .260 Rem, it just does so many things very well and doesn't beat up the shooter on the back end. I won't be replacing my 7mm-08 with one anytime soon, but that's only because that's my backup elk rifle to my '06, and I like the option of heavier bullets in the 7mm-08. But for a dedicated deer/antelope/caribou rifle for the family, the 6.5 CM just makes a lot of sense.

On your 7mm-08 what bullet are you using? I really enjoy shooting my wife’s rifle. I have thought about it as a back up to my 300win mag. I’m primarily an archery hunter but my out of state points are getting up there so I may be trying some rifle hunts.

On your 7mm-08 what bullet are you using? I really enjoy shooting my wife’s rifle. I have thought about it as a back up to my 300win mag. I’m primarily an archery hunter but my out of state points are getting up there so I may be trying some rifle hunts.
I've run a bunch through it now, but my top 2 are the 131 Hammer Hunter and the 140 Accubond. Both 1/2-3/4 MOA. The 131 hammer sizzles at 2985 while the 140 Accubond is doing 2850.