Rifle inbetween calibers

isu22andy

WKR
What would you consider for the cartridge between 6.5 creedbro and 7 rem mag ? Trying to diversify my safe a little bit . Little flatter than 6.5 and less recoil than 7 rem . 270 ? I realize this is dumb but hey I want a new rifle lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 PRC or the original 6.5 RSAUM. You can use that same bullets reloading the 6.5’s and have a great flat shooting lightweight hunting rifle. But then I’m biased against the 270, never cared for it for no reason other than bullet selection, which is better now.

Wrench

WKR
Just buy what you want. You're not likely to use either of what you have to it's capacity....so instead of justifying it to others.....just make yourself happy.

I'd look to something starting with a 3 or low 2's myself.

Hate to be the neither guy but… neither.

Ballistic performance of the 6.5 CM is very underwhelming in my opinion . They are extremely accurate and a good match/target round but they aren’t flat, and I don’t particularly care for lobbing things in, especially light slow things.

7mm is a great round but from my stand point anything it can do the 280 AI can do just as good with less powder, pressure, recoil and better accuracy. The knock on the 280 AI was that it was a hand load only, custom rifle only cartridge but it isn’t anymore with multiple manufacturers chambering and factory ammo available

in 6.5 the PRC is a much more attractive option than the CM and you still get the benefits of a light short action. The SAUM is even better but not going to get factory chamberings or factory ammo. Finally the 6.5-284 is an excellent choice and I believe Nosler chambers it in there entry level rifle . They shoot suburb like most 6.5 calibers do

If building 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 Sherman Short- need to hand load for these

if buying 6.5 PRC, 6.5 284, 280 AI or even 257 Wby (heavier magnum action though)

Wrench

WKR
I'm not the guy who downloads his ballistics off the box and orders the magic turret. I believe accuracy comes from validation, validation comes from proof.....which comes from trigger time. I don't trust a rifle until I've fed it a pile of rounds. Shit breaks. Barrels settle, lot variations, travel, atmospherics.....lot of reasons to validate your rig. They're not just for Instagram.

I'm not the guy who downloads his ballistics off the box and orders the magic turret. I believe accuracy comes from validation, validation comes from proof.....which comes from trigger time. I don't trust a rifle until I've fed it a pile of rounds. Shit breaks. Barrels settle, lot variations, travel, atmospherics.....lot of reasons to validate your rig. They're not just for Instagram.
Amen. I don't trust a load or a rifle or a scope until I've seen it perform again and again and again under varying conditions. A minimum of three solid outings at the range for me, before I'll take one afield. And even then it's gotta perform on game to earn my trust.

Too many times I've gotten excited during load development or the first trip only to never reproduce that performance again.

I go through about 500 rounds for every 1 round I shoot at a live critter. I see it as my duty to the animal, plus it's fun.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Those PRC's are sweet for all 800 rounds of their lives....
When the 6.5 RSAUM came out, part of its allure was barrel life using H1000 powder and 130’s at 3200ish and 140’s at 3100 FPS. Guys were reporting (George Gardner for one) 2000+ rounds with great accuracy. Secret was the H1000 powder as it’s cooler burning and didn’t erode your throat as quickly as other powders. The PRC has less volume than the RSAUM and would benefit in the same way.

BjornF16

WKR
6.5 Weatherby RPM in addition to others listed above...Weatherby Backcountry would be a nice lightweight addition to your safe.

There is a feller selling a Weatherby Carbonmark in 6.5 RPM in the classifieds...

As someone stated above, OP you def should get what you want . If you have always wanted a 7 mag get one. A lot of the varying opinions you are gonna get on forums are going to be because the majority of people willing to chat high end rifles on here want something different themselves just to distinguish themselves from xyz Joe who shows up opening day with a 30-06 pump with a 4x tasco on it .

I think people have touched on a lot of good things to consider which really starts with what you will use it for. How far you will shoot . How much do you plan on shooting. Do you hand load?

Keep in mind that most “premium factory rifles” (weatherby, Nosler , Christenson, etc) will shoot 1 Moa with premium factory ammo and 1/2 moa with hand loads all day if you keep them clean and are willing to test loads. Most calibers you can significantly extend barrel life by using the right powder and backing off some on the velocity .