Rifle inbetween calibers

What would you consider for the cartridge between 6.5 creedbro and 7 rem mag ? Trying to diversify my safe a little bit . Little flatter than 6.5 and less recoil than 7 rem . 270 ? I realize this is dumb but hey I want a new rifle lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want flatter AND less recoil-

25-06 easy button or if you want newer cartridge 6.5-PRC (or other short mag variants)

If you want diversity a 30-06 or other 30 cal is needed, as well as a 22-250 or 22 swift for fast!!

What do you envision the rifle doing?

BjornF16

WKR
As someone stated above, OP you def should get what you want . If you have always wanted a 7 mag get one. A lot of the varying opinions you are gonna get on forums are going to be because the majority of people willing to chat high end rifles on here want something different themselves just to distinguish themselves from xyz Joe who shows up opening day with a 30-06 pump with a 4x tasco on it .
It sounds like he already has a 7mm Mag and 6.5 CM...he was wanting something in between those in order to "diversify his gun safe"...

Lots of good choices there, especially if you hand load. If you don't hand load, still lots of good choices with "custom" ammo dealers like Unknown Munitions and Hendershots (and others). I wouldn't let an "odd" cartridge stop you...

Yeah I clearly misread and thought he was between choosing one of the two and wanted opinions. He wants opinions on things that are ballistically between those two choices (y)

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
Yeah I clearly misread and thought he was between choosing one of the two and wanted opinions. He wants opinions on things that are ballistically between those two choices (y)

Correct . Reasoning being - 6.5 doesn’t seem enough for elk but plenty for deer and antelope . 7 rem mag is punishing to shoot . Would like an in-between cartridge I could possibly take an elk with .

Correct . Reasoning being - 6.5 doesn’t seem enough for elk but plenty for deer and antelope . 7 rem mag is punishing to shoot . Would like an in-between cartridge I could possibly take an elk with .

To what distance?

Do you handload , planning to buy or build? And makes a lot more sense now. I was thinking at first that you really were comparing apples with oranges

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of a new rifle maybe get a suppressor. It'll make shooting your 6.5 and 7Mag much more enjoyable...

But, I would like to add a 280AI to my collection or a 6.5 PRC

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
Is your 7mm RM braked?

If not, a lot cheaper to thread for brake than buy a new gun...

Of course, if you just want a new gun...

6.5 PRC and 280 AI do go toe to toe ballistically with the 7 RM (using commercial ELD-X). Both have less recoil as well.

I’m not as enlightened as others, but does that additional half of a millimeter truly mean the the difference between a dead animal and an animal laughing at you?

If the ballistically anemic 308 Win can kill elk, with many glowing reviews on this forum, why can’t ballistically superior cartridges, albeit smaller diameter, work just as well if not better?

If elk weren’t in the menu, I’d say take a look at the 257 Weatherby.

steveazz

FNG
What would you consider for the cartridge between 6.5 creedbro and 7 rem mag ? Trying to diversify my safe a little bit . Little flatter than 6.5 and less recoil than 7 rem . 270 ? I realize this is dumb but hey I want a new rifle lol.

6.5-300 Weatherby

I think the problem is in your rifle, not the 7 RM cartridge….

what stock do you have? Does it fit you? A muzzle brake works wonders on recoil if you have never tried one……?

Reactions: WCB
OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
I think the problem is in your rifle, not the 7 RM cartridge….

what stock do you have? Does it fit you? A muzzle brake works wonders on recoil if you have never tried one……?
Probably the rifle and the one shooting it . Lots of serious replys to this thread - guys I have several rifles multiple rimfires 223 22-250 . 6.5 creed 350 legend 7 rem mag. Im ultimately looking for an excuse to buy another rife . I do have a suppressor but the 7 rem mag isnt threaded. Its a tika t3x . I enjoy shooting the 6.5 and can shoot a quarter sized group at 100 yards. The 7 mag maybe an inch at 100 . Sucker is just not fun too shoot .

My 280 AI is threaded and sounds about like a 222 and has about as much recoil as a 22 hornet with the suppressor on. It’s about like my 257 wby without it . Very happy with it overall.

planning on buying or building and what price range?

you really can’t go wrong with 257 wby, 6.5 PRC, RPM, SAUM, 6.5-284, or 280 AI.

27 caliber options out there too, just less bullet choices and less of a reputation for shooting lights out compared to the above. (Doesn’t mean they can’t/won’t though)

Probably the rifle and the one shooting it . Lots of serious replys to this thread - guys I have several rifles multiple rimfires 223 22-250 . 6.5 creed 350 legend 7 rem mag. Im ultimately looking for an excuse to buy another rife . I do have a suppressor but the 7 rem mag isnt threaded. Its a tika t3x . I enjoy shooting the 6.5 and can shoot a quarter sized group at 100 yards. The 7 mag maybe an inch at 100 . Sucker is just not fun too shoot .
Put a Limbsaver on it.