Rifle inbetween calibers

wyosam

WKR
6.5-284, 7-08AI, fast twist/long throat 284

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
There just isn't much room in the gap you're looking to fill...

You can get a higher horsepower 6.5 like the PRC 6.5-284, or a lower horsepower 7mm like the 7-08 or 280REM...in the middle, you've got the 270WIN.

And truthfully, any of them are going to be a lot more alike than different.

sfotiades

FNG
Like most have said 6.5PRC. Have killed a few elk and deer with that caliber and really like it. Very accurate and easy to load for. I also have a 6.5x284 and that has been a super fun round!

270 Winchester and call it a day. Its just as good as all the others mentioned and loaded ammo is a lot easier to get, even now. If you handload, well that's even better as the usable bullets range from 110gr to 175gr for any game except for the big bears and even then that 175gr will do the job. Sure, not as fancy but highly capable.

WKR
Second all posts about .270 Winchester.

A solid all-around performer? .270 Winchester.

Something with some heritage and tradition? .270 Winchester.

An easy shooter? .270 Winchester.

I like this old blog post:

TK177

FNG
I'd go something 270 like: 270WSM, 6.8Western if you want new, 27Nosler if you are rich, 270WBY if you like classic and are also rich, then a wildcat like 277-284 if you wanna be different, have tons of time and also like spending money.

Vern400

WKR
Amen. I don't trust a load or a rifle or a scope until I've seen it perform again and again and again under varying conditions. A minimum of three solid outings at the range for me, before I'll take one afield. And even then it's gotta perform on game to earn my trust.

Too many times I've gotten excited during load development or the first trip only to never reproduce that performance again.

I go through about 500 rounds for every 1 round I shoot at a live critter. I see it as my duty to the animal, plus it's fun.
Same. I haven't touched my deer rifle zero in 10 years. I use it, and loan it to guests I trust on occasion. I still have 300 rounds loaded for it. Basically I check it if it gets bumped, and never touch the action screws. I just oil it, and clean the barrel if it gets maybe 75 rounds. The other day before deer season we were out doing some shooting. I pulled it out, shot a 6 ounce drink cup of water at 200 yards off a bag, and put it up.

OK. DONE. It's a B code 700 in 308 with a Leupold 2x7. I'll have a single shot cold bore contest anytime with that bad boy. If I EVER miss it's me. And I like that.

Oh yeah. When I hog hunt I use partitions with a redline load of 4064. They shoot 3/4 inch high left. It's a hog. They're big. They're unpleasant, vile, destructive and very stinky. They need shootin'. Every last one They don't deserve a perfect zero.