Rifle minimalists

Rw1981

FNG
I live having multiple guns to select from. It allows me to pick the perfect fit for the situation. And guns are cool.

I share your sentiments and I hear you!

Much to my dismay monetarily lol. I wish I would have stopped with my 30-06 rather than looking or wishing for more rifles.

That didn't happen however and now I have a crap ton of rifles I don't need or use and are redundant in the wrong way.

I love rifles and I love reloading, but man I wish I had the money back on a lot of them and put it into hunts.

I can tell you this for a fact. I could use a 22 mag for 98% of all my shooting needs or any small 22 centerfire. One big game rifle to do the rest and right now I m finishing up a long term project 375 H&H that has a very strong chance of replacing all of them.

With the way things are going who knows what I will do. Probably let them all live in the safe lol!

I’ve come to find that all I need for big game hunting and long range shooting is my fast twist 270 Win rifles.
I’ve sold 20+ rifles in the past month in an effort to get to a manageable number that I can shoot regularly.

I only seem to hunt with a .223, .270 & 375 but I won’t be without a 30/06 just because and a 6.5CM because it’s fun and a 6X45 because it makes sense ( it serves double duty for deer and coyotes)

I had a friend who only owned a 6.5x55 and another who only owns a 270. Both men are/were the best game shots I know because of their familiarity with their rifles.

Dinger

WKR
Good posts mate, why do you want to shoot monos?
I found them to be consistently lethal and having them up the spout gives me options to drop an animal from any angle.

Like for like I'll happily recognise they are not as good as cup & cores for lung shots but I have never lost an animal on a lung shot with a mono (or any shot for that matter)......they just don't hit the deck as fast. When I shot my first deer with mono's (150gr .308) I was a little crestfallen to watch it sprint off, but then to feel better to see it pile up after 50 yards. I maintain an SST or the like, at that close range, would have almost anchored that animal on the spot.

And as almost all my families red meat comes from venison I don't mind the fact I have no chance of lead being fed to the kids. I've had a hard look at both sides of the lead in food argument for humans (we are not condors, Pb not broken down in the stomach etc etc) and without a solid peer reviewed study I'm just erring on the side of caution. I'm not compromising anything to run mono's for table animals. When I chase Sambar stags solo in the High Country I usually loaded out with 200gr Partitions in the 8mm just to make sure if I have to hit the lungs at 350m I wont have to search to long to find him. 140gr TTSX in 7mm will be a do it all combo for me, nice and simple.

I noticed your username...your not in the Upper Hunter are you?