Rifle minimalists

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I don’t know if I’m really a minimalist but I don’t find your values unusual at all. There probably tons of one gun hunters out there who don’t care about hunting enough to participate in a forum so you wont hear from them.

I have two 30-06 Tikka T3 and my old old remington 700 (1962) has become my backup. 30-30 lever gun just because. inexpensive pump shotgun for home defense. 357 mag S&W used to be my truck gun but upgraded to a 9mm. So the only extra i have is the 30-30 and the 357 is for sale.
I agree, there are a lot of one gun hunters. I haven't found a lot of one or two gun hunters that are serious about marksmanship, though. They are definitely out there, but by and large it seems like people who like to shoot a lot have lots of guns.

I still mostly hunt with one gun. I got old meat in the pot. However, I enjoy owning many more just for fun. Guess I have a problem. lol

Honyock

WKR
I did not know that hand me down family heirlooms count. They are not going anywhere while I still breath American air.
Same here. My most "valuable" gun is a well used 1907 Remington Autoloading Rifle in 35 Remington. It was my grandfather's.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
To each their own. For some, guns themselves are the thing. For a long time I was like that, and grew up planning my golf bag of rifles for all seasons. I never quite filled it out, but at a certain point I looked at minimizing in general. I thought my guns were a good place to start. When it comes to hunting rifles, I'm down to my main SS 70 Featherweight .308 in a McMillan Edge and it's back up, a Ruger GSR. I don't varmint hunt, so don't really feel the need for a different caliber although I do have an AR. I firmly believe you should have two hunting rifles for reasons already mentioned. I'm a teacher, and frankly my ability to go on a lot of distant hunts for varied animals is limited. Spending money on more rifles won't help in that regard. I also prefer practicing with one rather messing than with many. I don't fault anyone who is into guns and wants a variety. However, I've become more about the activities I use guns for than the guns themselves.
Yes. I'm married with 3(soon to be 4) kids, and my wife is a stay at home mom. Every hunt has travel costs, tag costs, freeze dried food costs, time not working since I'm self employed costs, etc. Another rifle and scope would be more of that I could not afford. I'd rather have a couple rifles with some scars from gnarly hunts than a full safe. Sort of an adaptation of Yvon Chounard's "Buy plane tickets, not gear."

It's a decision everyone has to make for himself.

Same here. My most "valuable" gun is a well used 1907 Remington Autoloading Rifle in 35 Remington. It was my grandfather's.
Awesome to hear. My most valuable guns are not worth a hill of beans to anyone but me. My dads 7rm is a worn out piece of shit to most. My memories of that elk falling are worth the cost of my house to me.

Yes. I'm married with 3(soon to be 4) kids, and my wife is a stay at home mom. Every hunt has travel costs, tag costs, freeze dried food costs, time not working since I'm self employed costs, etc. Another rifle and scope would be more of that I could not afford. I'd rather have a couple rifles with some scars from gnarly hunts than a full safe. Sort of an adaptation of Yvon Chounard's "Buy plane tickets, not gear."

It's a decision everyone has to make for himself.
For sure. We all have are budgets. Good on you.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Good on you.

My father took me elk hunting every year since I was 6 yrs old. I knew he loved me but it never sunk in until he was gone.
That's great! I grew up in western Kansas and we did a ton of pheasant hunting growing up. It was great bonding for my dad, brothers, and I.

Honyock

WKR
That's great! I grew up in western Kansas and we did a ton of pheasant hunting growing up. It was great bonding for my dad, brothers, and I.
Walked a lot of milo fields in the panhandle of Oklahoma with my dad. I was the bird boy before I graduated to carrying a single shot 410 so I could be a "hunter". Blew the crap out of a hen at about five yards with that 410.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Walked a lot of milo fields in the panhandle of Oklahoma with my dad. I was the bird boy before I graduated to carrying a single shot 410 so I could be a "hunter". Blew the crap out of a hen at about five yards with that 410.
LOL. My first one was a long crossing shot with a single barrel 20 ga. It crashed and I was like " no kidding?"

I have seen enough folks shoot that the old adage of "beware of the man with one gun" is not to be taken terribly seriously.

I've paired down my inventory a bit. This is due to overlap in cartridges and also capabilities. It does seem like I grab the same few rifles over and over.

Predator: 223 Rem
Deer: 6.5 PRC
Elk: 300 WM
Black Bear: 308 Win (this is solely about the specific rifle and not the cartridge)

If had to choose two, it'd be my 300 WM and my 6.5 PRC.

Fatcamp

WKR
Honestly, I have a Tikka in 6.5 my mom bought for me. Or gave me the money and wanted me to buy something nice for myself. I will probably never hunt with another rifle. Probably switch the 6X SWFA for a Nightforce someday, but I will probably always take that rifle hunting.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
We live pretty simply, no outrageous hobbies or shoe habits (I like coats & sweatshirts, but live in a cold climate, so what?). I had a Red Rider when I was a kid. Shot a rabbit & a gob of pigeons. Moved away & didn't own another til I met Fatcamp. Got bit by the USPSA competition bug, learned to outshoot him with a rifle, & I was doomed. At one time, I owned 9 horses & no firearms. Now, I own zero horses and 5 (?) Or 7 (?) firearms...and still lust after a few more. A smooth, pretty Winchester, and a pimped out sniper/long distance rifle would be nice. And a CZ for USPSA. And...the rest have to wait for a bigger safe...I am NOT a minimalist...lol.

mt100gr.

WKR
F.

This thread is pulling me in a lot of different directions 😜

Part of me feels like I need to just give someone a gun and part of me says "this ain't no dress rehearsal, you probably need another!"

Not much of a gun minimalist as I am a caliber minimalist. Most of my rifles are the same caliber and my pistols are all the same caliber.