Rifle mounted to tripod

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got my rifle on my tripod for the first time. Absolutely love it! Think it’s gonna be a game changer for me! Shooting this weekend, I will update with how I like it.

775a01ad7cc5211418b698546dd62db4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I put a helicoil for a 1/4-20 in my stock, then cut a small pocket for an arca Swiss style baseplate to fit in. I can either run it on my gun all the time or just throw it on really quick whenever I need it.

isu22andy

WKR
I put a helicoil for a 1/4-20 in my stock, then cut a small pocket for an arca Swiss style baseplate to fit in. I can either run it on my gun all the time or just throw it on really quick whenever I need it.

Very cool , to put the helicoil in did you just use the sling stud swivel hole ?

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nah I just drilled a new hole. I wanted it further back than the two swivel studs, and I also wanted to have it further back than they are Located.

If I did it again I would pocket out the stock more so just barely enough of the dovetail stuck out for the arca Swiss plate to mount on the tripod. I guess I could have made the arca Swiss plate thinner too. Hindsight I guess. My stuffs always janky, because I’m testing it or just in a rush. When I do other people’s guns they actually look good lol.

skierhs

WKR
If your able to put the mounting plate closer to right in front of the bottom metal you may find an increased stability and ease of movement.

Why not just a v-notch to rest firearm in? Does your method restrict movement of rifle for aiming-left, right, up, or down? I have witnessed differences when shooting off sandbags or lead sled or some type of rifle cradle.

Carr5vols

WKR
Why not just a v-notch to rest firearm in? Does your method restrict movement of rifle for aiming-left, right, up, or down? I have witnessed differences when shooting off sandbags or lead sled or some type of rifle cradle.

That's what I did, removed it from a shooting stick a broke a few years ago. G20190824_121026.jpgot to lose the bipod weight. Now get more food.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn’t see any POI change when using a bipod vs using this. I apply the same pressure to the tripod that I do to a bipod.

With the pan head I use I have way more free movement than I could ever use and still be in a comfortable shooting position, without moving the tripod position. It’s way more stable than just using a yoke style piece.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
If the legs aren't set level, wouldn't the rifle be canted when using a pan head? It seems like this setup would require a ball head tripod mount, to adjust for tilt. Otherwise, the concept makes perfect sense!

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya I noticed I had to level the legs pretty well, but it didn't have to be perfect as there was a little wiggle room to tilt to get my bubble level on the scope flat.