Rifle option decisions

Hey guys. I am planning to buy my first rifle within the next few months. I have mostly decided on a 7 mm rem mag because I plan on using this as my do all rifle. I have been looking at ammo availability and my local Scheels has quite a few options in 7mm so that should be fine. I was also looking at 300 win mag but they had almost zero ammo options for this caliber.

I have been looking at a stainless Tikka T3x lite but I also came across this Bergara - https://www.scheels.com/p/bergara-s...4-B14S502V.html?cgid=all#s=rd_bergara&start=6

Is anyone using this rifle? It has the threaded barrel and brake which I like but it is not stainless.

I'm not sure how big of a deal the stainless barrel is. My muzzeloader is stainless and the barrel has been very easy to keep clean and the bore looks great after the ten years I have owned it.

I'm also thinking I want a brake to help with recoil on the 7mm. I am used to shooting a 12 gauge slug gun but I honestly don't know if the 7 mm will have more or less recoil. If I go with the Tikka I would probably look into getting the barrel machined for a brake.

I guess my questions are:

Does a muzzle brake help that much with recoil?

Is a stainless barrel superior to a regular blued barrel for a rifle and why (other than corrosion)?

Are there other gun options I should look at in 7mm?

Thank you for reading!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stainless vs carbon is no big difference.
A side ported brake makes a big difference in recoil. A radial brake not nearly as much. A 7 mag isn’t so hard recoiling, but spotting shots without one is impossible in a light rifle.

OP
180splitg3
Stainless vs carbon is no big difference.
A side ported brake makes a big difference in recoil. A radial brake not nearly as much. A 7 mag isn’t so hard recoiling, but spotting shots without one is impossible in a light rifle.
Thank you for your reply!

Slewwater

FNG
I'm recoil sensitive and shoot a braked .300wm from a 7lb gun. I wouldn't want to pull the trigger without the brake and would flinch like crazy if I tried. A smith should be able to thread the barrel for $50-150; money well spent. Save some funds for hearing protection - I double up with in-ear and electronic over the ear muffs.

49ereric

WKR
Brakes are loud! seriously ear damaging loud.
7RM ok for open country but heavy brush nope unless you hand load the velocity down. Really isn’t one rifle fits all unless your old 😁 then 30.06 is the choice.