Rifle rebuild

gabenzeke

WKR
I have a rem 700 lr in 300 Rum. I love this cartridge. But, I was considering adding a can. And once I do that, I feel like I'd be lugging around a 20 pound rifle that is crazy long. Are there other cartridges with serious knockdown power that can be shot out of much shorter barrels without taking too much performance away? Eventually, this will be my one gun for everything from antelope to elk. So I prefer 30 Cal or 7mm. Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You can shorten the tube when you thread it....it's got to be chucked up anyhow.

WKR
My 18" 30-06 that is chopped and threaded does 2700 fps with 180s. At 8,000 to 12,000 feet elevation it'll do fine to quite long range.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Agreed, just shorten the RUM...maybe 22” if you got the muzzle diameter.
How much powder are you wasting by doing that? Everything I've read says RUM needs 26 inches to burn the powder. Is there anything out there that talks about short barrel RUM performance?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
I can't speak from experience, but I think any cartridge that is going to have performance on par with the RUM is going to be "wasting powder" if you go with a 22 inch tube or shorter. I'd say just go with a smaller capacity case. 300 WM or WSM will do fine in a shorter barrel and still have more energy than a 30-06 if that is what you are looking for. Other than that, I'd say spend the money on a good TI all welded suppressor so it isn't so heavy on the end of they gun.

Wrench

WKR
Guys have done plenty of tests on length vs velocity. Frank Green and Charlie Sisk have done them and there's not any reason to question those two.

If you're worried, step up the burn chart a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it.