Rifle recommendations

Courage

FNG
I am looking at buying a new rifle. I am pretty committed to 7mm Rem., although I have considered 28 Nosler as well.

This would be my primary hunting rifle for elk, mule deer, hopefully desert bighorn at some point, ect.

The rifle needs to be all weather, able to be carried, put in a scabbert on a horse, ATV, ect.

I'm looking to keep the entire package (rifle, scope, bipod) under $4,000.

This rifle would also be my introductory into extending my range as shooter. I've rarely taken shots over 300 yards in the past. I want a rifle that I can start pushing that range outwards with. Of course I understand that's mostly on myself not the rifle but this would be the rifle that I learn and practice with to extend my range.

I've handled a few contenders, Christensen Arms Ridgeline and Mesa (I really like the Traverse on paper but they didn't have one in the store), Fierce Edge, and a Cooper. I liked the feel of the Fierce the best, but it's also the most expensive, meaning a cheaper optic.

I'm looking for any recommendations or advice on both rifle and scope. How much should be spent on rifle vs. scope? I have always focused more on the rifle in the past but I'm starting to think I need to save more for the scope.

Any input would be appreciated!

elkguide

WKR
Lots of scope options.
As to your choices for a rifle, I would use the same list if I were buying another off the shelf rifle. From my experience, any of the ones that you mentioned would be great. My preference would lean towards the Cooper, then the Fierce and then the CA Ridgeline.

My only area of difference with your thinking would be in caliber and I would definitely go with a rifle in .300Win Mag.

One caveat: I don’t shoot at healthy animals past 600 yards. If you are going to be in that game you will have to find something with greater elevation range or go to 20 moa pic rail.

mmac

WKR
I agree with 100 on the Z5, it is outstanding for the money. I judge all else compared to it now. But it will limit you to 600-750. However, I did get a Leupold VX6 for a 7mm and it is fantastic as well and a lot more elevation adjustment.

As for Rifles, lots of great ones out there. I like the Kimbers as well and they are really light, but not something to take to the range and shoot a lot. Barrels are too thin.

Maybe look at the Cooper and Z5....

OP
C

Courage

FNG
I agree with your caliber choice, but there's lots of opinions out there.

I think you should try and budget about the same amount for scope & rifle. If total budget is ~$4,000, then look at ~$2,000 for scope & ~$2,000 for rifle. Some potential scope options to think about:
  • Leupold Mark5 3-18 ($1450 - over $2k) depending on reticle & illumination)
  • NF ATACR 4-16 (look for demo's that are sub $2k)
  • Vortex AMG 6-24 ($1,800)
  • Burris XTR III 3.3-18 (~$1,700)
  • lots of other choices nowadays
Each of these scopes leaves a couple hundred for bases & rings. I'd just go for a Harris bipod, which can be found for less than $100. I'm a broken record on a rifle for the $2k mark, but I would suggest building a rifle at that price point instead of an off-the-shelf option. A quality build is definitely doable at that price point, and you'd have far fewer compromises.

Thanks for the input. I definitely take a look at those scope options.

I initially didn't think a custom build would be possible in my price point but have looked into it a bit further and certainly may go that route.

OP
C

Courage

FNG
Lots of scope options.
As to your choices for a rifle, I would use the same list if I were buying another off the shelf rifle. From my experience, any of the ones that you mentioned would be great. My preference would lean towards the Cooper, then the Fierce and then the CA Ridgeline.

My only area of difference with your thinking would be in caliber and I would definitely go with a rifle in .300Win Mag.

Understood on the .300 Win Mag. I did considered it.

The reason I'm leaning towards the 7mm is I already have a .30 caliber. I inherited a 30/338 that my late father in law built.

It's a bit heavy (and a little to pretty) for much of the hunting I want to do. Also, not much load data out there for that cartridge. While I do handload, I haven't invested the time into developing a good loads for the rifle yet. I wanted to invest this money into a well rounded hunting rifle first, then start looking at the 30/338. Just doesn't seem reasonable to have two very similar .30 calibers.

ericF

WKR
Look at the Fierce Fury to drop your rifle price point back down to the $2k mark. I believe the main differences between the Fury and Edge are that you loose the DLC coating and some fluting work, but this brings your optics budget back up to $2k allowing more choices. Another option with Fierce is to get the Carbon Fury for the same price as the Edge, but you will probably have to wait a couple months for that one. As for scope, I would jump on one of the clearanced Swaro X5s while they are still around. Doug mentioned in another post that he still has the 3.5-18 for $1800 giving you a couple hundred extra for your rings.

Muttly

WKR
So...mostly agreed with most of the above..would look at stock fit, and which action you like better between the Fierce and the CA. Had a Ridgeline, never warmed up to it.
Caliber I,ve got a 7 Mag, love it, but there are a lot of benefits to jumping up to .30 for distance. Would be inclined to choose between 7 Mag or 300 Win Mag, over 28 Nosler. Brass price and availability, though 28 is getting easier to find. Better barrel life, ammo anywhere in a pinch, if you don't reload definitely easier to run the 7 or 300.
As far as if I were spending the money myself, 90% kinda guy, would get the Fierce Edge, put an SWFA 3-9X42 on it. That would get you dialed out to some distance, come in at or under budget.
Black Friday or used, you should be able to find the SWFA reasonable.. Start shooting, saving some jingle for a high dollar scope, and have a scope you can trust in the meantime.

elkguide

WKR
Understood on the .300 Win Mag. I did considered it.

The reason I'm leaning towards the 7mm is I already have a .30 caliber. I inherited a 30/338 that my late father in law built.

It's a bit heavy (and a little to pretty) for much of the hunting I want to do. Also, not much load data out there for that cartridge. While I do handload, I haven't invested the time into developing a good loads for the rifle yet. I wanted to invest this money into a well rounded hunting rifle first, then start looking at the 30/338. Just doesn't seem reasonable to have two very similar .30 calibers.

I'm probably over the top as I have "several" .300 Win Mags, "several" .300 WSM's, a .300 RUM, as well as a "few" rifles in other calibers from .22 through .28. (Right now I'm drooling over a custom 338-06.)

My .300 WM's range in weight (scoped and ready to hunt) from 7.75 pounds to 9 pounds, with barrel lengths from 22" - 26" and each fills a different need. I don't like recoil but I don't find the recoil unmanageable on any of my .30 calibers except the RUM and that does have a brake.

I load my .30's with 150 grain to 210 grain bullets, depending on what and where I am hunting, it is such a versatile caliber.

I hunt whitetails a lot here in the East and even though I have other rifles that most people would consider to be more appropriate for them, I still usually grab a .30 caliber rifle. When I'm hunting elk and/or mule deer, there isn't even a slight hesitation..... always a .30 caliber rifle.

Good luck in your search.

drtony

WKR
I have a 300 wby-- love it. Like Elkguide mentioned, .30 cal is very versatile. If it were me (I like things that nobody else has much less even knows about) I would love to get a 7mm STW someday.

MinixJT

FNG
Lots of good advice here. Im a neophyte so take this with a grain of salt but If possible handle a few of your choices. Before I bought my last rifle I scoured the internet debating on which one and the various differences. Holding them quickly shed some light on the topic. Also, id also consider future upgradability (or ease thereof).

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Another vote for a Cooper, and another vote for .30 instead of .284

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MinixJT

FNG
In that price range I'd almost vote for an M70 or M700 and ship it off to HCR for accurization/replacement triggers and possibly have it dropped in a mickey depending on the factory stock fit.

OP
C

Courage

FNG
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, this has been the hardest decision I've had as far as gun purchases go.

I ended up going with a Christensen Arms Traverse in 7mm Remington. I'm putting a Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret on it and a Magpul bipod.

The gun and scope should be showing up this weekend so with any luck I will post so pictures and groups soon.

I have a 300 wby-- love it. Like Elkguide mentioned, .30 cal is very versatile. If it were me (I like things that nobody else has much less even knows about) I would love to get a 7mm STW someday.
wrote this before I saw that you already made your choice, my bad...

since you are talking custom and like 7mm, the 7mm Weatherby is a handloader's dream, as good or better numbers as the Rem Mag with a longer necked brass and the "free bore" Weatherby issue negated due to the custom chamber part
As for the 300 win mag, and don't get me wrong because I LOVE the cartridge, there's VERY little to complain about with it but if you are planning on extended range time the short neck "can" lend to faster throat erosion, just something to consider, there is nothing at all wrong with a 300 WSM either, if you want to shoot heavies build it on a long action - that said, with the awesome bullets we now have a huge selection of 7mm's are very good and the 600 yard limit speaks to that even more - Warren Page's assessment of .284 175's at 3000 muz Vel ability to kill anything thin skinned on the planet hasn't changed a bit since he wrote it, only "distances" have now been interjected into the conversation