Rifle saddle for tripod

Baron85

WKR
Looking for a light weight, quality saddle to mount on my tripod to use as a rest instead of using my bipod. I have a precision rifle solutions saddle now, https://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/838250 , but it’s just too big and doesn’t nest with my rounded forend of my light weight hunting rifles. On my heavy target rifles I use arca swiss plates bolted to the rifle, but don’t want to do that on my hunting rifles.

So what are you guys using?

skierhs

WKR
I personally use the HOG saddle. It is somewhat heft for the weight but I have found that it locks up extremely well without damaging or scratching up the stock. I am actually looking at putting a Really Right Stuff (“RRS”) dovetail mount on my rifles to cut the weight of the having to have the HOG saddle. I am thinking of picking up a RRS tripod with their anvil-30 ball head. It accepts Picatinny rails and arcs Swiss dove tail plates without any modification.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
I do really like my direct mount arca plates on a few of my rifles but don’t think I could get a plate mounted securely to my hunting rifle (Christensen arms ridgeline) and even if I could I don’t want a plate bolted to the stock. Doing some more research I like the triclawps and outdoorsman rifle mounts. But also found this small V on amazon that I think might work best. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005F0S29G/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1WK1IND8BEFL4&psc=1

Should be super light and provide enough stability for 400 yard shots. I have used my precision rifle saddle for 400-500 yard shots so pretty sure the v is all I will really need............

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a pig saddle. It isn’t light. But I can clamp in my tikkas no problem.

I have a stock coming, and plan on restocking my tikkas with a pic rail just in front of the mag well. This will clamp right on my rrs anvil head. I’d much rather deal with a 2in chunk of metal on my stock, than carrying a 1lb chunk of metal, that I need to dig out and clamp my rifle on. Not saying the pig saddle is bad, and I’ll be keeping it for rifles that don’t have that option, but the rail is easier, faster and lighter. Yea I might get cold fingers if I need to hold it, but I’ll live.

That said, the pig saddle with a light tikka on it, plus a sling to provide some pressure, makes 300 yards seated feel like a chip shot.