Rifle scabbard forward or back on saddle?

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys was reading Robbies book, “How to hunt big mule deer” and I noticed one of his pictures shows his rifle in a scabbard on the front left of his horse butt stock facing towards the horses neck. What is your experience? Someone once told me to face it towards the rump so trees don’t catch it. Thoughts?
Matt

Ram94

WKR
Scabbard setup always seems to be a pretty personal subject. I’ve seen it a few different ways but I prefer to have my barrel pointing forward and higher than the butt stock so that it sits right in the crease of my knee. For me it works, doesn’t get hung up on branches and it’s completely out of the way for my foot to do it’s thing. (This probably wouldn’t work with the old leather style scabbards with the open butt end)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always put my buttstock forward. I can also keep an eye on the rifle that way. But I also always had a specific "saddle" gun that I used while on horseback. Something that could take a beating and keep on shooting straight. I also have a "saddle" bow if I ever do a horseback archery hunt.

87TT

WKR
Butt forward here. If it is backwards, you can lose it and not know it or spend more time checking it. No if your rifle has a saddle ring and can be tied in, maybe. I don't rust scabbard lids and such. Butt should be up higher that the barrel too.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
i am a butt forward guy. i can control it better that way.

there was a thread on this last year with pictures.

I just found that thread sorry for repeat question. Thanks for the answers though!

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
I built this one, and after a few trips to the sheep hills, I like it.
f1f9fc3e0f3f85e6bbc8fd877ffba64e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Agree totally with wyosteve. Vertical upright for bo and rifle alike. Not the best picture of carrying a bow and couldn't find a handy picture of a rifle.

Attachments

• 20170911_162826.jpg
    20170911_162826.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 94

2rocky

WKR
Little extra action going on here but I'm a butt back guy . I've "skinned my smoke wagon" as I was dismounting when we rode into a bunch of elk before...

33554_1646057479994_5088672_n.jpg

33445_1646191723350_2083711_n.jpg

I’m strictly butt forward and high on the right side so it doesn’t interfere with my horses neck. Allows me to pull it over the saddle when I’m dismounted. Also offsets you mounting.
I know a fella that liked hunting with his stock facing out the back and lost a Weatherby rifle because of it. I also don’t like it because if you kick into a trot your rifle bangs off your horses ass and flops around a bunch.

I keep mine on the right side at an angle. I place it so it doesn't interfier with turning right. On the left side I hang an electric chainsaw for gettin in and out of the jungle. Everything you do should have a balance on the saddle.

I made a saw scabbard out of an old forest service hose pack frame and a saddle blanket. It works well. I keep 3 batterys in the saddle bags.

Noticed one of the outfitter shops in Columbia Falls or Kalispel were building saw scabbards for sale.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
no right or wrong answer. It's personal preference. face forward you can catch on tree. face backwards it can fall out. I've caught mine on trees and I've seen two fall out but backtracked and found the rifles.

rayporter

WKR
seen a guy break his stock off at the wrist when he got off and tried to lead his horse down a steep switch back. i told him to take out the rifle when ever his feet hit the ground and that he could not keep ahead of the horse going down the mountain with in snow. the rifle went on one side of the tree and the horse went on the other while he had to let go cause he almost got ran over in the wreck.