Rifle scabbards

Cwsharer

FNG
What rifle scabbard are you guys running and where did you get it ? Horseback scoped rifle scabbards .

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a leather scabbard for a bolt action rifle. Cost me about $75. Made by Tough 1. purchased through Amazon
Also have a leather one that holds both my 30-30 lever action and my .410 lever action. Have no idea where I got it from.

Make sure if you go the leather route you get one made from a good quality leather. There are some for sale on ebay that are brand new and absolute crap. You get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once. You want to make sure your investment in your rifle is well protected.

I had a custom scabbard made for me by @pods8 on here. Scabbards are hell to find a good one imo. Especially complete coverage.

I hunt with a very long, big scoped rifle and I want full protection, nothing on my gun exposed. (I ride way to much thick brush) I also like my rifle where I can see it at all times, right hand side of saddle carried like this-

BA383BEA-4351-42A6-8CD7-D9B56B29A59C.jpeg

I’m very particular, but it’s been trial and error for me, and just works the best imo.

I’m not a fan of leather, especially after it’s been snowing/raining and I can dry it out. I can usually dry these, every night in a tent w/ heat.

This is the latest model. It has extra pocket w/ some room for a detachable bipod, extra shells and rangefinder. It’s been perfect!

42389DC2-1851-4959-915E-97632D33D4C6.jpeg

wysongdog

WKR
I had a custom scabbard made for me by @pods8 on here. Scabbards are hell to find a good one imo. Especially complete coverage.

I hunt with a very long, big scoped rifle and I want full protection, nothing on my gun exposed. (I ride way to much thick brush) I also like my rifle where I can see it at all times, right hand side of saddle carried like this-

View attachment 269705

I’m very particular, but it’s been trial and error for me, and just works the best imo.

I’m not a fan of leather, especially after it’s been snowing/raining and I can dry it out. I can usually dry these, every night in a tent w/ heat.

This is the latest model. It has extra pocket w/ some room for a detachable bipod, extra shells and rangefinder. It’s been perfect!

View attachment 269706
Perfect set up imo. I agree 100%. I’ve used trailmax Scabbard’s as well. Sharp lookin mule as well.

Wrench

WKR
I have this one and it is bombproof. I had a leather one rip on me 2 years ago and it soured me. This one comes with all the rigging and is hell for stout plus will hold a big scope and or bipod....or not.

OP
C

Cwsharer

FNG
Thanks for all the replies , I am most definitely wanting a leather one just on preference , quality is the issue as ordering one you can’t handle it before ordering, looking for the best production made scabbard , outfitters supply has one but at 250+ dollars that’s pretty steep I fell but I do like quality equipment. Thanks again and keep the pictures and info coming if you feel like it .

Rhinohide

FNG
The open topped ones also tend to fill with pine needle and brush the will end up in muzzle brakes if not careful.

wysongdog

WKR
Thanks for all the replies , I am most definitely wanting a leather one just on preference , quality is the issue as ordering one you can’t handle it before ordering, looking for the best production made scabbard , outfitters supply has one but at 250+ dollars that’s pretty steep I fell but I do like quality equipment. Thanks again and keep the pictures and info coming if you feel like it .
Honestly that’s a very nice scabbard and not bad priced. I have a buddy that had one. He really liked it. I couldn’t find anything wrong with it either.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
This is my .410 lever action. I use this set up when running snowshoe hare with hounds
H92dHAf.jpg

N4Sp5QY.jpg

This is the Tough 1 scabbard. Took a little redneck engineering to set it up as this is my "guest" saddle. A cheapy that I bought for when someone wants to ride with me that doesn't have their own saddle. Very few lash points. My brother used it for his over-under 12 gauge when we were out hare hunting
Q4f6sVz.jpg

A closer look at the Tough 1
GrjX6XU.jpg

Last edited:
I saw one the other day at Murdocks in Butte $135. I designed a supplementry flap system that fits tightly around the narrow part of the stock to minimize snow and needles entering the scabbard. I have put them on all of my scabbards.