Rifle scope for antelope and deer

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Back when I used to hunt antelope the 4.5-14 leupolds were what I used. There’s probably something better now, maybe not though.

EdP

WKR
Using a lower power and adjusting the subtend value is certainly valid. It's more complex but gives more flexibility and solves the field of view problem. Just because you have the magnification doesn't mean you have to use it, but if you are not going to use it why have it? To me, a 10x or 12x is all that is needed for big game, and avoids the extra complexity. For a rifle/scope combo used for big and small targets like a .243 or 6mm, I can see the advantage of your recommendation.

6x42mm Leupold scope is a great scope. I had a 6x36 on one rifle and a 6x42mm on another. Really like them both. I've never felt over scoped with the 6x even hunting in thick elk or deer country. It's never been a problem for me to be able to quickly locate the animal at 25 yards and make the shot. Personally I would not go over a 44mm objective. There really is no need for it. 36-44mm objectives seem to be in a sweet spot.

4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 - Love this scope also and this is my ONLY variable I have had on a rifle until I got one for my 280AI. I've very successfully used that scope several times since I got it to include my grizzly bear on the North Side of the Brooks Range in the fall of 2019. Guess what I carry the scope at when I hunt with it.................6x. Nope I don't even dial it down to 4.5. I also got the scope with the B&C reticle. It has proven to work very well on distances out to 500 yards for which it was designed to do. It is fast and simple to use and personally I feel that I would prefer it over dialing a scope. Folks have good success with that so it must work also.

Shout out to EdP who also is a 6mm Remington fan. I sure like mine. My son has a 6mm Remington that was my first big-game rifle I had (Remington Model 600) and he also has a Ruger MKII which we bought together. He saved for a paid half of the cost of the rifle and I payed the other half. He got his money put together (12 years old) then I did.

Your budget is where I live for most all my scope purchases. Here is what I have bought in your situation. $500-$750.

Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 (good glass for price. low feature, most afordable, set and forget).
I have the 50mm and it is great in low light. Simple dulpex makes it simple design.

SWFA SS 3-15 ffp (reputation for reliability, first choice for dialing at this price). I have not dialed this any, but the reputation gives me confidence. No experience yet on low light performance because it is on an AR-15 right now. Found used for well under budget, well maybe hard to find right now.

Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15 sfp used or LHT depending on pricing. (nice simple MOA reticle, great glass, first choice for Holdover) Nice color and clarity. Need more experience at twilight with this over the Leupold. I got the Razor LH gen 1 used for $600, and there is are 2-10's new still available for under $500.

Trijicon Accupoint. I got a 2.5-10x56 for about $750 a few years ago Black Friday sale. Excellent low light performance, a bit bulky, but not overly heavy. Simple dulplex with illumination. 3-9 power is also well regarded for glass clarity and value.

I have one of each of these, (not LHT) and find each to be great in their price point. My top two recommendations are the Razor LH/T or the SWFA 3-15 depending on how bad you want to Dial. The Razor may have better glass but the SWFA is known for tracking reliability and is FFP.

Others I have not used, but would like to own.
SWFA fixed 10x for $300 also received much praise, or the 10x HD for around $600 with upgraded glass.
Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 or 2-10 also has my eye and will likely be my next hunting scope when I need one.