Rifle scope in place of a spotting scope?

slim9300

WKR
To those of you that have difficulty with reading comprehension, I'm going to simplify it for you.
Can you use a scope to differentiate between a 2 point buck and a 3 point buck?
If you think that the op asked "Can you use your rifle scope to identify unidentified objects?", You are a "backwards, mentally challenged, inconsiderate, lazy retard" because you either failed to read or failed to comprehend the question asked. Furthermore, it could be argued that only a "backwards, mentally challenged, inconsiderate, lazy retard" would carry three tools, if & when the job could be done with two.
Again the OP basically asked "Can you use a scope to differentiate between a 2 point buck and a 3 point buck?"
To the OP- Yes with a quality scope you can count points in some instances, depending on weather, terrain, & illumination. At times a spotting scope will be better depending on weather, terrain, & illumination.

Exactly. 99% of the time when I have a spotter and I’m rifle hunting (of course I always have binos and RF) it goes like this...

Spot deer/elk/bear with my binos at 100-800 yards.

Lay down with rifle and shoot/pick apart. The only way I’m pulling out the spotter is if I am confident I have lots of time, or want to record the shot. If I have a partner, he’s on the spotter and I’m on the rifle, and we are attempting to get on the animal simultaneously. He is calling wind, I am reading wind through my scope, and taking a range with KILO2400 for dial (if outside of 400 yards).

Spot deer/elk/bear with my binos at 1000+ yards.

Pull out spotter and determine if it’s worth getting closer.

I almost never glass/scan with a spotter. If I even considered using a rifle scope to replace a spotter, I would never scan with a rifle scope. But this isn’t even something I want to do, only something I have considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been an entertaining read - to those of you who think its bad to judge an animal in the scope for fear of accidently pointing the rifle at somebody...get a life. You telling me if you were getting set up on a bull elk with your rifle, and you buddy finds another bull in his binos that might be bigger, you aren’t going to swing your scope over to that elk and give it a look through your scope? Get real guys...

In places like Idaho where there is no orange requirement and half the hunters are camoed up like they are bow hunting, who is to say there isn’t some dude hiding in the bushes in the animal’s general vicinity?

If hunters aren’t wearing orange and are getting pissed at people shooting animals in their general vicinity, thats on them.

I feel most of my options on this have been well stated by guys braver than me lol. But I will add I would never hunt with a scope that only goes to 7 power on the low end. You’re greatly limiting yourself in low light and in the case of close off hand shots in cover if they happen. In a lot of areas that’s probally not a concern most of the time but I want a scope ready for everything. I hunt with 3-15s and 4-16s and close range to 800 yards they have served me well.

Good old fashioned hot mess!

I like it.

How about this, put some preseason work in on those chicken legs.. put the bigger scope on your rifle. Pack a 85mm and hell now everyones happy.

LaHunter

WKR
Sounds like the safety aspect has been 'driven home'.

For me, I don't get my rifle involved until I have decided to shoot the animal. When I get in the rifle scope, the only evaluation that I am doing is making sure I am on the right animal and they are in position for a good shot, I am making sure I am in a good shooting position, then the safety is off and the shot is made.

I have already ranged, evaluated the animal quality to be up to my standards, evaluated the safety aspects of taking the shot, etc. For me, this prevents any mistakes, whether it is a safety related mistake or shooting an animal that you later regret. For me, getting behind the rifle and getting in the scope is shoot time, not evaluation time.

slim9300

WKR
I feel most of my options on this have been well stated by guys braver than me lol. But I will add I would never hunt with a scope that only goes to 7 power on the low end. You’re greatly limiting yourself in low light and in the case of close off hand shots in cover if they happen. In a lot of areas that’s probally not a concern most of the time but I want a scope ready for everything. I hunt with 3-15s and 4-16s and close range to 800 yards they have served me well.

Loving my 4-32 NX8 for this reason! Best of both worlds.

You do realize that you just stated that you do use the scope for evaluation while stating that you do not use the scope for evaluation.
"When I get in the rifle scope, the only evaluation that I am doing is making sure I am on the right animal ...." and then you state " For me, getting behind the rifle and getting in the scope is shoot time, not evaluation time".
so if you are not in the right animal do you move the scope to the correct animal?
Sounds like the safety aspect has been 'driven home'.

For me, I don't get my rifle involved until I have decided to shoot the animal. When I get in the rifle scope, the only evaluation that I am doing is making sure I am on the right animal and they are in position for a good shot, I am making sure I am in a good shooting position, then the safety is off and the shot is made.

I have already ranged, evaluated the animal quality to be up to my standards, evaluated the safety aspects of taking the shot, etc. For me, this prevents any mistakes, whether it is a safety related mistake or shooting an animal that you later regret. For me, getting behind the rifle and getting in the scope is shoot time, not evaluation time.

LaHunter

WKR
You do realize that you just stated that you do use the scope for evaluation while stating that you do not use the scope for evaluation.
"When I get in the rifle scope, the only evaluation that I am doing is making sure I am on the right animal ...." and then you state " For me, getting behind the rifle and getting in the scope is shoot time, not evaluation time".
so if you are not in the right animal do you move the scope to the correct animal?
I guess if you want to mince words, my point is that I have already made the decision to take the animal when I get behind my rifle. Sure, we all have to do some evaluation when we get into the scope, especially if there is more than one animal in the immediate area. We have to evaluate if the animal is in a good position for a good shot, or should we wait for it to turn. We have to evaluate if another animal is at risk of being hit. Being aware while in the scope is just part of my process.

amo16

FNG
Many places have restrictions on what constitutes a legal animal. What if you're hunting elk and it has to be a four point to be legal and you can't tell if it is or not through your binos? Are you going to aim your rifle at an animal to determine if it's legal?

slim9300

WKR
Many places have restrictions on what constitutes a legal animal. What if you're hunting elk and it has to be a four point to be legal and you can't tell if it is or not through your binos? Are you going to aim your rifle at an animal to determine if it's legal?

Are you saying that you should feel bad if you identify an elk in your binos and then put your rifle scope on it to asses it’s trophy quality?

amo16

FNG
Are you saying that you should feel bad if you identify an elk in your binos and then put your rifle scope on it to asses it’s trophy quality?

That's not even close to what I said. What I said is that you have no business aiming your rifle at any animal that you haven't already determined is legal to harvest.

slim9300

WKR
That's not even close to what I said. What I said is that you have no business aiming your rifle at any animal that you haven't already determined is legal to harvest.

So if you are hunting for a buck during the rut, and you bump into a group of does at let’s say 200-300 yards. They are down in a bottom of a draw, and a quick glance through the binos turns up a flash of antler but you didn’t have time to identify the size. It’s a 3 point or better unit. Is it wrong to get down on the rifle and pick through the group of does to try and find the buck and determine if it’s legal? They are looking at you and likely about to run. Now let me change the scenario. You can kill a 3 point or better, or a doe. How about now? Are you saying the second scenario is okay but the first is not?

amo16

FNG
So if you are hunting for a buck during the rut, and you bump into a group of does at let’s say 200-300 yards. They are down in a bottom of a draw, and a quick glance through the binos turns up a flash of antler but you didn’t have time to identify the size. It’s a 3 point or better unit. Is it wrong to get down on the rifle and pick through the group of does to try and find the buck and determine if it’s legal? They are looking at you and likely about to run. Now let me change the scenario. You can kill a 3 point or better, or a doe. How about now? Are you saying the second scenario is okay but the first is not?
That is exactly what I'm saying. If you are aiming at an animal that you are unsure you can legally tag you are in the wrong. This is literally taught in every gun safety course. "Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy" and "be sure of your target and what is beyond it". We can argue all we want for reasons to violate these rules, but in the end violating basic gun safety rules is exactly what's happening.

slim9300

WKR
That is exactly what I'm saying. If you are aiming at an animal that you are unsure you can legally tag you are in the wrong. This is literally taught in every gun safety course. "Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy" and "be sure of your target and what is beyond it". We can argue all we want for reasons to violate these rules, but in the end violating basic gun safety rules is exactly what's happening.

You are insane in my opinion, but you do you. I am curious how many animals you have killed spot and stalk, and how long you have been hunting?

amo16

FNG
You are insane in my opinion, but you do you. I am curious how many animals you have killed spot and stalk, and how long you have been hunting?
You are advocating using a riflescope to identify whether what you're aiming at is in fact legal to shoot and I'm insane? You need help. And I'd venture to guess I've taken far more animals than most on here BTW.

JGRaider

WKR

You are advocating using a riflescope to identify whether what you're aiming at is in fact legal to shoot and I'm insane? You need help. And I'd venture to guess I've taken far more animals than most on here BTW.
Only an ignorant, unsafe, dumbassss uses a scope in this manner on purpose. And......I've culled more big game animals than this slimclown has ever shot at.

TheGDog

WKR
"Grow Stronger" would be my response to the OP.

It's like this... you will understand why your question/suggestion has drawn such fire from many here... the moment it happens to you that somebody points their rifle directly at you. (Not to mention shoot at an animal which you did not know was becoming very near to you.)

It is a terrifying experience... one in which you feel powerless and extremely vulnerable.

In my case... it was a Father/Daughter pair... the Daughter... 15yo... just 200yds away.

I... had taken up my position at 4:30am... in total darkness... Mesh Ghillie Suit and all. In hopes of seeing again a buck I'd had the pleasure of watching for 2 hrs during the rain, at around the same time as now. April/May era.

So I'm sitting there... now during General Season... and you can see the main road like 200yds away. A White truck comes along and then... swerves over to the side right there... a pair of people hop out in a hurried fashion. Curious I turns my 15x's on the tripod to see. The father is hurriedly fussing with a Tripod rest, likely for the rifle. Then... I scroll a little over to then see the 15yo daughter... pointing her rifle... DEAD FREAKING ON....at me!!! And I mean in full living color HD Dead Freaking On AT ME!!!

I cannot convey to you.. with human words... the "whoa...Whoa..WHoa...WHOAAA!!!" feeling you get when this happens to you.

It was prime morning time by then... maybe 8a or so. So didn't want to give up my position... but obviously I needed to do something or else I'd die. So I piped up very mad "What the Hell are you DOING? He's Pointed RIGHT AT ME!!!" At which she shifts slightly over to one side.

I settle down, mind still frazzled... when not to long after she shoots... and the shot hits the dirt maybe 20yds behind me. To which I initially jump outta my skin and get all angered up again... until my brain puts two and two together and I realize... "Aww F**k...don't tell me... no way..." Yup...sh*t... they'd seen a young buck cross the road up ahead of their Truck... and it was coming towards my location. I no doubt would have taken that buck if they were not there that day. The wind was in my favor, the buck totally did not know I was there.

I realized then this spot was blown for the day. I went and visited them to speak with the father and impress upon him how unsafe that was. He shook my hand, but I didn't get the feeling that he reacted to this situation that had just unfolded with the proper amount of apology... but I reasoned he was distracted by his daughters first.. I felt the upsettedness swelling up within me... so I purposefully left it at that and left for my vehicle.

So... never...ever..ever...ever... scroll across the terrain using your rifle-scope as a searching optic. Just don't do it... ever.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So... never...ever..ever...ever... scroll across the terrain using your rifle-scope as a searching optic. Just don't do it... ever.

Can you please point out where someone suggested doing that? Even in your own emotionally taxing story, your were fully concealed in a ghillie suit and they aimed at an animal that was legal... If I do everything possible to be unseen, I can’t get upset when an animal walks near me and someone shoots it.