Rifle scope questions

I’m fairly new to rifle hunting and I know hardly anything about scopes. Can someone please explain the difference between the leupold vx3i, vx3hd, vx5hd? Why is the vx5 roughly $400 more than the vx3 for the same magnification? I would like to practice out to 1000 yards. Is the 4-15 power scope sufficient or should I look at the 6-20 power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between the 3i and the 3hd is the glass and supposedly an upgraded 3x erector - the VX5HD all have 30 mm tubes and exposed elevation turrets and a 5x erector.

10x us plenty for 1000 yards, although it never hurts to have more magnification. I would do the 3-15 and it would cover all your hunting and shooting needs.

EdP

WKR
I would not go over 12x on a hunting scope for big game. For long shots on coyotes and fox, etc, yes, but not big game. It is just too difficult to find the game for a follow up shot if needed at the reduced field of view at higher magnifications. Plus, anything over 12x is just not needed. Based on the number of scopes on the market with 15x+ top ends, I may be in the minority, but I think having more low end options makes more sense. Consider the situation where you have a 4-12x scope on your rifle and you are moose hunting. A bull moose at 600 yds has no idea you are on the same planet and looks like it is 50 yds away through the scope at 12x. I don't think you are going to have a problem getting the crosshairs on the vitals. What about that same moose at 50 yds that knows something is up and is starting to head out? Maybe you can get on him quickly at 4x with no problem but at 2x it would be a lot easier.

You also need to consider how BDC reticles work if that is what you plan to use. They make it easy and fast to adjust your hold without dialing but you generally need to be at the highest magnification to use the BDC properly.

SDHNTR

WKR
Find a different company. One that makes good scopes.

Magnification is a matter of personal preference. I like something maxed out around 15-18x for a long range capable gun and 9 or 10x max for more typical use. Field of view matters and more mag shrinks fov, which is not good for a number of reasons. Also consider first and second focal plane, they work totally differently and there are pros and cons to each.

mi650

WKR
Find a different company. One that makes good scopes.

Magnification is a matter of personal preference. I like something maxed out around 15-18x for a long range capable gun and 9 or 10x max for more typical use. Field of view matters and more mag shrinks fov, which is not good for a number of reasons. Also consider first and second focal plane, they work totally differently and there are pros and cons to each.
Yea, this. I wouldn't say Leupold as a whole is junk, but you can find better for the same or less money.

OP
cody21peterson
I’m on a pretty tight budget I have about $500 to spend. Has anyone tried the sig sauer bdx? I already have a sig rangefinder so I’ve been considering that too

Depends on what you really wanna do with the rifle. Like you, I wanna take my rifle to 1000. Recently shot at 500 as 1000 is hard to get in my area, and I was invited to a match. I have a vx5 3-15. I shot ok as a first timer at that distance, I wore the steel target out. But there was no way I could shoot for a decent group maxed out. Take that to 1000, and it would be much worse. I don’t know that the crosshairs wouldn’t cover the steel at that distance. For long range hunting, 15x is probably fine for those 500 yards and probably much farther. For target shooting, you really need the magnification.

bpurtz

WKR
Just curious...what rifle are you using for practice out to 1000 yard? Are you looking to just hit a poster size target or consistently hit inside a kill zone?

Have you read through this thread: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...t-of-a-rifle-build.259521/page-5#post-2571980

Does your $500 budget include the rings and other accessories/costs that you might want to consider like a bubble level, bipod, and load development?

I've had a few Leupold scopes - they were good for non-dial shooting, but even then I lost zero with one on a moderate ground impact with a VX-3i when my son fell carrying the rifle. My buddy has a Leupold VX-6HD ($2000) on his Gunwerks and so far it's performed well but I would strongly recommend you consider a scope manufacturer that has a good reputation for holding zero (from recoil and/or impact) and returning to zero when dialing. NF SHV, SWFA are more than $500 but have a good reputation...

Hawgfan

FNG
I've owned more Leupold scopes in my life than I can count. Have always been a fan. Still am. However, I'm not stuck on them like I used to be. I've still got several VX2's, 3's, a 3.5-10x40 VX-3i, and a 3.5-10x40 VX-3HD CDS-ZL. All great hunting scopes. Even have a set of BX-5 Santiam HD binos.

I've also ventured over to the Vortex world. For MY eyes, I actually like their glass a little better believe it or not. I now own three Vortex Viper HS 30mm 2.5-10x44 scopes and am really impressed. For a pure hunting scope, they are hard to beat IMO. Midway is running a great deal on them now. $254.99 with free shipping. Might be worth checking out with your budget, hell get two. lol....I'm more of a "set it and forget it" guy with my hunting scopes. I prefer capped turrets since I don't dial. Probably the main reason I'm not in love with the CDS on my VX-3HD.

I've also got a little Vortex Diamondback Rimfire 2-7x35 on a Ruger 10/22 that has been superb. For bowhunting, I carry a set of 8x32 Diamondback HD's and also have a set of 8x42 Viper HD's.

I rambled on a little more than you probably cared to hear but just wanted to throw another option out there for you if you were interested. Here's the link to the Viper: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020461155?pid=439467

Shraggs

WKR
For your price point look hard at the swfa. The 3-9 is perfect but out of stock, don’t be afraid if the the fixed 6 or 10…

I’m fairly new to rifle hunting and I know hardly anything about scopes. Can someone please explain the difference between the leupold vx3i, vx3hd, vx5hd? Why is the vx5 roughly $400 more than the vx3 for the same magnification? I would like to practice out to 1000 yards. Is the 4-15 power scope sufficient or should I look at the 6-20 power?

Is weight a concern for you?