Rifle scope recommendations

I know it has been asked fairly often, and I have read just about every thread but figured I would reach out for other recommendations.

I am outfitting my .280 AI Savage Ultralight. I want to keep the glass under 24 ounces if possible, preferably lighter. Budget is $1500 max. Primarily a hunting rifle, but would like to be able to dial for longer shots (between 400-600 yards).

Looking at the following:

Vortex LHT 3x15x42

Zeiss V4 4x16x44

Swaro V5 3.5x18x44

Leupold VX5 3x15x44

I know that Nightforce is bomb proof, but carrying the extra 1/2 pound on a mountain rifle is defeating the purpose for me.

Appreciate the suggestions, or if I am missing a scope I should be looking at.

Thanks

Ram94

WKR
I looked hard at the NXS 2.5x10 but worried that I would miss the magnification at longer distances.

You might miss the magnification, but you won’t miss the shot lol

I was actually worried about it as well when I was looking into the SHV, coming from 25x it was a bit of a change but for shots in that 400-600 yards it is not an issue at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Shot a 3" group at 1000 yards a while back using my NXS 2.5-10. No issues with game at 600 yards.

UBear

FNG
Nice choice for your new rifle!

Not necessarily "missing out" on but, some other options that fit your criteria:

Tract Toric
Trijicon Credo or Trijicon Accupoint
Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 (can be found for under $1500)
Maven RS.1 almost fits your criteria for weight @24.5oz. (I would suffer the extra 2oz & $200-ish for a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x44 first)
Some newer ones that are cheaper... Burris Signature HD or Meopta Optika 5

From your list, a "DEMO" deal on the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for <$800 is hard to beat. (assuming no option for Mil/LEO discounts with Vortex or Leupold)

I looked hard at the NXS 2.5x10 but worried that I would miss the magnification at longer distances.

you will miss it at the range shooting paper if you are used to higher magnification. But for 600 yards hunting, or even shooting steel you won’t. I have moved over to the SHV 3-10 on 2 of my lightweight guns, and I have tried 3 of the scopes in your list.

I would probably go with the zeiss, or for $1500 you could step up to the V6 and get the German made/German glass from them. I also recall that the v6 has a different erector system than the v4. I had a 3-18 v6 and liked it, but moved it off for a 3-10 SHV.

EM_556

WKR
Check out the new Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42mm. They offer it in Mil and MOA (with their HX line). I picked one up for $807. Made in Japan, same place the Nightforce SHVs are made at. They have a true Zero Stop elevation turret, illumination and parallax adjustment. Glass is clear. Just traded my SHV 3-10x42 in for it. A 0.5 oz. weight increase, but worth it for the features and magnification you gain.

hntr

FNG
Talk to Ben at Sport Optics. He is great help on something like this. He has helped me choose my last 3 scopes, range finder and helped 3 of my friends. Quick response, free shipping and tax free. You can call or chat on their website. Along with the best customer service I've found they are they are the best price wise too.

HuntnPack

WKR
Don’t rule out a Nightforce, NX8 28-29 oz.
2.5-20x50 is a great option.
Rugged, Reliable, Repeatable.
tracks Perfectly, returns to zero,
For the 4-5 oz. added weight, I’ll take that Performance in the field.
I have found 28oz. scope weight to be a non issue on my lighter weight rifle, maybe
A benefit actually as the weight is centered
And sits low. Rifle is stable & shoots well.
I’m pretty happy with it.
Just a thought.

Also, at 21oz. The 2.5-10x42 is Great option,
Decent power range, size, & weight.
Built stout.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the new Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42mm. They offer it in Mil and MOA (with their HX line). I picked one up for $807. Made in Japan, same place the Nightforce SHVs are made at. They have a true Zero Stop elevation turret, illumination and parallax adjustment. Glass is clear. Just traded my SHV 3-10x42 in for it. A 0.5 oz. weight increase, but worth it for the features and magnification you gain.

How does Trijicon have a zero stop like the Nightforce?

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, meant to ask is the Trijicon "return to zero" just like the Nightforce zerostop? I have read that some of the Trijicon models have a pull up/push down to lock turret that is quite different than the Nightforce. There is not much info on them showing how it works.

I know it has been asked fairly often, and I have read just about every thread but figured I would reach out for other recommendations.

I am outfitting my .280 AI Savage Ultralight. I want to keep the glass under 24 ounces if possible, preferably lighter. Budget is $1500 max. Primarily a hunting rifle, but would like to be able to dial for longer shots (between 400-600 yards).

Looking at the following:

Vortex LHT 3x15x42

Zeiss V4 4x16x44

Swaro V5 3.5x18x44

Leupold VX5 3x15x44

I know that Nightforce is bomb proof, but carrying the extra 1/2 pound on a mountain rifle is defeating the purpose for me.

Appreciate the suggestions, or if I am missing a scope I should be looking at.

Thanks
Nightforce isn’t bomb proof, I have seen a few go down. I really like my Leupold VX5HD. Glass is awesome, I run mine out to 1250 regularly and it tracks perfectly.

EM_556

WKR
Sorry, meant to ask is the Trijicon "return to zero" just like the Nightforce zerostop? I have read that some of the Trijicon models have a pull up/push down to lock turret that is quite different than the Nightforce. There is not much info on them showing how it works.

This credo model that I sent you the link to has a true zero stop. I own several NightForce scopes, and have been very satisfied with this Credo. I have yet to run a full tracking test at distance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NJDiverDan
Nightforce isn’t bomb proof, I have seen a few go down. I really like my Leupold VX5HD. Glass is awesome, I run mine out to 1250 regularly and it tracks perfectly.

I have heard the same on Nightforce. But also the same on every scope I've listed. Seems there is not perfect optic, and sometimes they fail or do not track straight.

I was looking at the VX5HD at my local gun shop a couple days ago. I do like the glass, but was not sold on the reticles they had in stock so I decided to hold off and do a bit more research.

Again, thank you everyone for the input so far!