Rifle scope search

AGPank

WKR
I'm looking for a scope for Ruger 10/22. I started a target rifle project a few years ago and never finished. It is stainless steel with a green mountain stainless fluted barrel and fajen thumb hole stock.

I haven't shot rifles much the last 10 years nor have I paid much attention to the scope market. An indoor range just opened up and I would like to start shooting again. It's a 22 so most shooting is going to be less than 50 yards. I think I would like a 3-12 or 4-16 power scope.

I used to like Burris scopes but heard the quality has dropped over the years. I guess $500 is the high end of what I would like to spend. Let me know some makes and models to check out.

Whisky

WKR
For a 22 you don't need much scope. $500 will buy you a heck of a 22 scope. Nikon Monarch, Leupy VX2, Vortex Viper for starters. All overkill on a 22 IMO.

Now a Buckmasters, VXI or Diamondback are cheaper yet, and will work just as well for a 22.

bradb

WKR
You might want to go with an ao scope that it can be "focused" to the close yardage that the gun may be used at

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
For 50 yards an in I would just get a quality Rimfire scope like the mentioned Diamondback. The Leupold EFR scopes are also great. A wide FOV is nice for short ranges. I would look for something in a 2-7 or 3-9 configuration.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Good advice. Got me thinking I may be better to take my 3x9 off my 30-06 and put it on the 22 and upgrade my 06.