Rifle Scope Selection Help

I’ve searched a ton of threads on here and they have been super helpful. I’m hoping for a bit more specific info.
looking to buy myself a Father’s Day present. Upgrading a vx3i on a 28 nosler. I’ve shot steel to 750 but have never shot an animal past 400. I don’t plan to ever pull the trigger past 500.
budget is <$900. I’ve narrowed my choices to Leupold vx 5hd 3x15x44 or a zeiss conquest v4 4x16x44
I have a line on either right now for $700 which seems like a great price.
open to other suggestions but would like specific thoughts from anyone who has ran both.
Note:I prefer the CDS concept esspecially since I’m not shooting past 500 but can run an MOA exposed turret

I put a Zeiss conquest v4 4x16x44 on my XBolt 28 Nosler. It failed and won't hold zero after about 20 + shots. Sent to Zeiss and within 3 days they said they would replace it! Haven't got it back yet but they have been awesome with email status reports. That said I put a Burris Veracity 3x15x50 on it no issues. I have a Veracity 5x25x50 on my 300 win mag, shot my elk at 505 yards last year!!! Put Veracity 4x20x50's on my sons 2 7 mm mags. I'm thinking of swapping the 5x25 to my 28. I'm setting this up for my long range gun (<600 yards) to me that's long range...lol. It shoots much flatter and has a bit more V and KE at distance.

They don't get much love but great price, lifetime warranty, hold zero, return to zero every time and spot on when dialing. I got my custom yardage turrets from Burris. Had the front lens cap (they give you lens caps) break during my hunt. Emailed Burris and within a week or so had new caps.

I've had no issue with the glass quality. When I shot my elk it was snowing and glass was great. Shot my mule deer at 100 yards at last light and was super clear. We actually used my scope to spot some mule deer after shooting hours to test the glass and was super impressed!!!!

OP
Banded_spooney
Thank you both.
I want the vx5 if for no other reason than familiarity with the system. ( I have 3 vx3i’s with cds)

just getting nervous about all the leupold horror stories in here

OP
Banded_spooney
Not sure tube diameter really impacts light transmission.
Well then I’ve been lied to and the low light performance is poor for a different reason.
Either way, I’m done with the “why can’t I pick that buck up right now if he’s so clear in my binos” self conversation.
Wait 5 minutes and all is well. Happened twice now on what turned out to be my two biggest mulies.

madcalfe

WKR
tube diameter doesn't have anything to due with light transmission.
its more so for elevation of adjustment with your turrets, your objective lens diameter and the quality of the glass is what helps with light transmission.
you'll be happy with a vx5 there quite a step ahead of the vx3.

I have a 1inch tube and the low light transmission is dreadful.
It’s been said above but tube diameter does not impact light transmission. Aside from glass quality you need to keep your objective lens to magnification divisible between 4 to 5 for brightness. Not sure exactly what your using but if it was a 4.5-14 x 40 for example and you were cranked up to 14 power at last light your light transmission is going to be poor. No doubt the Vx5 is better glass but if you want clarity and light transmission I would be looking to Swaro.

OP
Banded_spooney
It’s been said above but tube diameter does not impact light transmission. Aside from glass quality you need to keep your objective lens to magnification divisible between 4 to 5 for brightness. Not sure exactly what your using but if it was a 4.5-14 x 40 for example and you were cranked up to 14 power at last light your light transmission is going to be poor. No doubt the Vx5 is better glass but if you want clarity and light transmission I would be looking to Swaro.
So if swaro is in the conversation I’d consider the z3 with the BRH reticle and just have a capped turret. That would be in budget.
for a true meat gun this might be the better way to go anyway?

So if swaro is in the conversation I’d consider the z3 with the BRH reticle and just have a capped turret. That would be in budget.
for a true meat gun this might be the better way to go anyway?
I just put that exact scope on one of my rifles this year and have shot it extensively. Although I usually like turrets the holdover system is quick and works far better than I thought for getting impacts in windy conditions. Clarity and light transmission was much better to my eye than a Vx3i in same mag range when compared side by side at last light in field.

kickemall

WKR
I've had both and its pretty much a wash as to which ones better. I'd probably lean towards the V4 but both have their share of reported failures. As someone said above you could throw the Vortex Razor LHT in the mix also but I'm not sure you can get it for the price you can the other two. I'm not really a fan of CDS dials because they don't account for variables like dialing does but out to 500 they're fine but once you get one cut your stuck with that load. You'll be fine with either one.

So far ive had good luck with repeatable clicks on both the VX5 and Vortex LHT out to 500 yards and plan on hunting with both scopes this fall. Way easier to sight in than my Leupold VX3, 1 click isnt always one click on a VX3. If I wanted to shoot farther than say 6-700 yards id probably look towards nightforce or SWFA.

prm

WKR
I just picked up a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 for $800. While I cannot vouch for it yet in terms of durability, the reviews are very good, it sure seems like a nice scope. I was also looking at the Conquest V4.

Rich M

WKR
Well then I’ve been lied to and the low light performance is poor for a different reason.
Either way, I’m done with the “why can’t I pick that buck up right now if he’s so clear in my binos” self conversation.
Wait 5 minutes and all is well. Happened twice now on what turned out to be my two biggest mulies.

If you couldn't see em with a VX3i, it was too early to shoot.

It's the glass, not the tube. If it was the tube, they'd go bigger than 30 mm and sell that as an improvement.

Hope the VX5 works out well.