Rifle Scope

lemmerjj

FNG
Looking to get a new scope for my 243 to go Antelope hunting this fall. Looking to see what people use for an magnification and objective. I'm torn between 2.5-15's by 44 or 50, preferable under the $700. Looking at shots 500 and under will also use for deer. I'm looking at Athlon Midas, Leupold VX3hd, Burris Veracity, and Vortex Viper HS, but am open to other suggestions. Cross posted in Opitcs as well.

Sandstrom

WKR
One that you didn’t mention is Swarovski, the z3 series would fit into your budget and specs. I picked one up last year and really like it so far. The brx reticle is good if you don’t want to dial.

Ryan

BuzzH

WKR
I shot a ton of pronghorn with a fixed 4x with a 6mm...currently have a leupold 3-9x40 with a leupold dot and an M1 elev. turret on that rifle.

I will say as I get older, my eyes appreciate the 9-12 power end of variable powered scopes these days.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably use 4-12x40's on all my rifles from the start and they would all be leupolds.

Buck197

WKR
Scheels has a good sale on Vortex Viper right now, I picked one up last week, and saw today its still going.

Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40mm B&C reticle.

Son has one on his 6mm Remington and I have one on my 280AI. I really like the scope, the power range, and the B&C reticle. It really does work, and works very well. It's also quick to deploy. If you go that route sight it in at 200 yards with the load you will be using. Probably about 1.5" high at 100. Again that might vary slightly. Then shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards.

OP
L

lemmerjj

FNG
Now my antelope / deer rifle which is a Ruger #1B in 6mm Remington has a 6x42mm Leupold Gold Ring fixed power scope.
How does the 6x power fair at distances in the 500 range, and does it blow things up when they are within 200 too much?

How does the 6x power fair at distances in the 500 range, and does it blow things up when they are within 200 too much?
I've never felt handicapped at close distances...........ever! I've shot deer and elk both at under 25 yards with no problems at all. I also have had excellent success at 500 yards. The longest critter shot I have taken with the 6x scope was a coyote at 500 plus yards in my 6mm Remington Ruger 1B. I'm also able to shoot good groups on paper. I knew how these bullets would act at different ranges because I have been using nothing but Nosler bullets since I started hunting big game at 12 years old. For fun and practice I would line up 7 - 1 gallon water jugs at 25,100, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Didn't do 200 yards because I just thought it was redundant. The goal was to test penetration, expansion, and weight retention. It was a lot of fun doing this. A store bought 1 gallon water jug is not very large and it's satisfying to hit it center mass at all of the longer distances on your first shot. I know it sure builds confidence. My scope has no turrets and does not have the Leupold dot reticle which is calibrated for your rifle and load that you will be using in a particular rifle. (Wouldn't be a bad idea to consider if you know what rifle and load you will be using the rifle in.). I have shot at these distances and I know the drop of my 6mm out to 500 yards. Sorry kind of a long answer but I really like the 6x Leupold, and I would add that on my 280AI's scope which is a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle. I carry that rifle when hunting with the scope set on 6x. That's what I'm used to. This is my only variable on any of my big-game rifles ever. Love this scope also.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40mm B&C reticle.

Son has one on his 6mm Remington and I have one on my 280AI. I really like the scope, the power range, and the B&C reticle. It really does work, and works very well. It's also quick to deploy. If you go that route sight it in at 200 yards with the load you will be using. Probably about 1.5" high at 100. Again that might vary slightly. Then shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards.
This right here, the B&C reticle is great and 4-14 power is all you need. Learn your cross hairs and you'll be golden.

stevevan

WKR
I like
This right here, the B&C reticle is great and 4-14 power is all you need. Learn your cross hairs and you'll be golden.
and use the Ziess Conquest V4 4-16x44. Evrything about it is good and it's close to your price range. Check out Red Hawk Rifles. I've bought 2 from them. Both were demos but each could not be any different than new. No issue and full warranties. Should you want to twist a custom Turret is available from Kenton Industries.

I've had GREAT luck with the leupold Vx5HD line. They are just right for me when it comes to a lightweight rifle with shots to reasonable distance.

If you watch ebay/forums religiously you can usually find a gently used 3-15 at/under $700. Oftentimes with a unused CDS coupon!

j_volt

WKR
I understand this is well below your budget and recommending a Vortex scope can be considered a capital sin, but you can pick up a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 for sub $250 often (I paid $199 from Midway). The BDC reticle is nice. It really tickles my fancy.

Also, a demo Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 can be picked up for around $700. They are sold out at Red Hawk right now, though.

ericwh

WKR
Used older version of the Vortex Razor HD LH. Either the 2-10 or the 3-15. I am using the 3-15. I have 2 I bought used for $675 and $700 I think.

Just one thing to keep in mind is antelope are not hard to get close to. I have killed many with a rifle before I switched to hunting them with a bow. I have never killed an antelope past 200 yards. A lot of guys think antelope is a long range game. It sure as heck doesn’t have to be. So with that said a 3-9 or something along those lines would be plenty of scope IMHO. Absolutely my favorite animal to hunt. And eat.

Certainly there are times you cannot get close. It just isn't possible. I came upon two really nice bucks one year and they were out in the open (not even any sagebrush) eating grass on a hillside. It was 500 yards with no wind. I know it's Montana, it's fall, and it's antelope season. The wind always blows! I had my 30-06 (165 gr. Partition) set up on my pack on a little knob and had my left hand back at the toe of the stock to support and adjust it there. I waited until the larger buck (nice 15" buck) fed perfectly broadside and I shot. Got my antelope and like you state they are incredible eating, which he was.

OP
L

lemmerjj

FNG
I understand this is well below your budget and recommending a Vortex scope can be considered a capital sin, but you can pick up a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 for sub $250 often (I paid $199 from Midway). The BDC reticle is nice. It really tickles my fancy.

Also, a demo Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 can be picked up for around $700. They are sold out at Red Hawk right now, though.
Thanks. I'm not above it and that was one I've looked at and my brother recommended. I just didn't want to limit my budget when asking here.