Rifle scopes you'd love to see Form test

BjornF16

WKR
Would you ever do that?

Any shot over point and shoot would be done at 10 power for me.

Everyone’s eyes are different but some ffp scopes are barely usable at 6 power if you require easy visibility of the hash marks to say it’s usable.
That used to be my attitude...until I was convinced to try the SWFA 6X.

I'm a believer in less magnification in order to spot your impacts.

Using my Credo FFP 2-10x on my 6.5 CM, I'm bouncing between 6-8x depending on range. Out to 600 yards, I've been using 6X with no issue. Beyond 600 yards, I've increased magnification slightly to approx 8x.

sndmn11

WKR
Would you ever do that?

Any shot over point and shoot would be done at 10 power for me.

Everyone’s eyes are different but some ffp scopes are barely usable at 6 power if you require easy visibility of the hash marks to say it’s usable.
Below is a picture of the fog on my pronghorn hunt a half hour or so after I shot him. My wife and kid are about 200 yards out. The other one is a couple of minutes after I shot.

I turned my scope down to 6x or so to shoot because I was alone and wanted to see him the whole time after the shot and not lose him in the fog.

1652894914717.png
1652894977949.png

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks BjornF16 and sndmn11,

Explanations like that is why I’m here. It makes perfect sense with your explanations.

Lawnboi

WKR
I've been running the SWFA 6x on my Tikka .223...and holding wind...so yes, I don't see why you wouldn't hold wind.

I've also been holding wind with the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 while dialed at 6x-8x...but that is FFP scope. I just wish it were 3-12x and 42/44 objective

edit: I've got the NF 2.5-10 on order through NF military discount program...approx 10 month wait. Should have the SHV 4-16 and NX8 4-32 in hand next month
I know what your saying, but with a scope with that little amount of magnification, If I’m shooting at something that requires a precise wind hold, Iv probably got it on 10x and not 6 or 8. I would prefer ffp on that scope, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me like a say 15x sfp scope would be.

I want to try the nxs but also have a hard on over the 42mm atacr. Right now a couple nx8s are keeping me happy. The more I shoot the less I care a pound or 2 extra to have stuff that makes hitting things easier.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
There are 24oz scopes that are easily obtainable used in the 3-12 LRTS/LRHS for under $1k, 27oz gets you new LRHS2. If you can find SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 those also fall in the low to mid 20oz. If you get a over $1k you are into the Trijicon tenmile series and some of the Nightforce models.
And for the total gear geeks ,,,

Bushnell's 2017 catalog states the LRHS 3-12 is 24.4 oz / 690 g, but mine is a beefier 25.75 oz.

In some ways, it shouldn't matter. But 24.4 often gets rounded down when we reference this scope to 24 oz, when in reality (on my version at least), 26 oz would be closer.

Again, should it matter? For some, it might - at least on paper, or specc'ing things out - for example, Form once posted here that he wanted a "sub-24 oz" scope for a "crossover" application. Those of us who thought LRHSs were bang on 24 oz thought that was pretty close to that spec ... only to weigh them and find that they're a couple of ounces heavier.

While there might be variances in the different production runs over time, here are the actual weights for my LRTS and LRHS 3-12s:

LRHS
without sunshade: 730 g / 25.75 oz
with sunshade: 758 g / 26.74 oz

LRTS
without sunshade: 753 g / 26.56 oz
with sunshade: 784 g / 27.65 oz

*Nerd off now*

Last edited:
And for the total gear geeks ,,,

Bushnell's 2017 catalog states the LRHS 3-12 is 24.4 oz / 690 g, but mine is a beefier 25.75 oz.

In some ways, it shouldn't matter. But 24.4 often gets rounded down when we reference this scope to 24 oz, when in reality (on my version at least), 26 oz would be closer.

Again, should it matter? For some, it might - at least on paper, or specc'ing things out - for example, Form once posted here that he wanted a "sub-24 oz" scope for a "crossover" application. Those of us who thought LRHSs were bang on 24 oz thought that was pretty close to that spec ... only to weigh them and find that they're a couple of ounces heavier.

While there might be variances in the different production runs over time, here are the actual weights for my LRTS and LRHS 3-12s:

LRHS
without sunshade: 730 g / 25.75 oz
with sunshade: 758 g / 26.74 oz

LRTS
without sunshade: 753 g / 26.56 oz
with sunshade: 784 g / 27.65 oz

*Nerd off now*
For some reason I was thinking that the non lit 3-12's were right around 24. Been awhile since I had one on the scale, though. Not that an ounce or two makes much difference, but I don't care to be giving out wrong information when someone asks.

Years back I cared more about scope weight, but these days it is what it is. I try to keep it under 30 ounces. There's plenty of good options in the 20-25 range. Can always buy a carbon stock or carry less ammo in the belly/mag if a few ounces are that big of a deal to you.

SDHNTR

WKR
ITs not always about absolute ounces carried. It's about balance too. Little, light and compact mountain rifles can get top and front loaded and handle awkwardly with big heavy scopes up top.

ITs not always about absolute ounces carried. It's about balance too. Little, light and compact mountain rifles can get top and front loaded and handle awkwardly with big heavy scopes up top.
I hear you. Generally, rifles I carry a lot and plan to use in a quick shot, close cover, moving target scenarios have small, straight tube scopes on them.

But, for western hunting I like a scope/reticle that can do it all, which is why I like the LRHS.

Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42

Trijicon 2.5-15x42mm Credo HX SFP Field Evaluation

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I may be completely illiterate on our search function but has Form ever tested a Zeiss V4 or V6? A previous post implied that he had but I can’t find it.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
I may be completely illiterate on our search function but has Form ever tested a Zeiss V4 or V6? A previous post implied that he had but I can’t find it.
I don't think we have a formal field test here (yet), but check out my earlier post, on how you can search by both keyword and username, as a starting point:

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
SWFA 5-20. Maybe it’s been done and I missed it?
No formal eval written up in this new section, but @Formidilosus has referenced it a lot over the years as reliable.

Frank Galli from Snipers Hide has mentioned a few times that he uses them as one of his backup scope options for when he's teaching classes ... I think I've posted his exact quote about them on one of the threads here.

ChrisAU

WKR
How about Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10x44 or 4-16x50? Not Chinese, but still Asian. I really want to get my hands on one just to play with it. Wish there were better reticle options.