Rifle Season Sidearm

Do you guys carry a sidearm during rifle season? :) I typically hunt in Colorado, and have a 44mag 5.5" but it's too big to lug around the woods.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
If you are already carrying a rifle in Colorado you need to carry a sidearm only if you like the extra weight. I don’t carry a sidearm while hiking or backpacking in Western Colorado, I’ve been cruising the backcountry for 45 years.

westward_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest leaving it at home if in Colorado. Personal decision though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjihrig

FNG
I agree with the above statements. I do have buddies that carry during archery but I still don’t even during archery. Depending on the terrain I carry if I’m solo hiking because cats are thick in the area I hike and people get ambushed there from time to time. And plus there’s more people where I hike and I’m less trusting of people than critters. I would suggest if you carry, switching to a holster on your pack though. It was night and day for me when I switched to my pack from a belt holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I don't carry anything other than my rifle. I am leaning more toward spray over pistol for archery just because it is easier to pack.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I always carry a sidearm in every season or location when permitted. I CCW 24/7 so I dont make an exception because I have a bolt gun in hand. Weight is minimal and worth it for me. I've heard some crazy stories about guys trying to claim other folks animals and stuff getting heated. I'll always carry one regardless for my own personal protection.

Teaman1

WKR
I carried my first two black powder hunts in Colorado because I came from an area with no bears so they made me nervous. My first hunt in grizzly country, I carried because I was again nervous haha. I started using a slightly bigger rifle in grizzly country because it makes me feel better (won’t make much, if any, difference, just makes me feel safe haha)
I’m going to use what’s in my hands, so my rifle is my bear defense. I just have to remember to keep it close when quartering an animal. I’ll trade my rifle for a sidearm at camp or at the pickup after I drop off the first load.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
A sidearm is just extra weight...until you need one.
I always have some form of ccw wether just a pocket pistol or a full size.
Too many bad characters out and about these days to not.

Wapiti1

WKR
I might have a .22 pistol in the truck, or in my pack, but otherwise, my rifle is all I carry.

Jeremy

in CO a 22 if grouse season is open. I sometimes bring by Glock 29 for AK or WY - depending on the area and local bear activity. Often in those areas I'm only packing it into camp, for camp activities (when I don't want to lug my rifle around), and packing out. They are an awful lot of extra weight for back country hunts. Sometimes for backpacking back country we'll collectively bring one pistol as a designated camp gun for someone on a nature call, water collection, firewood collection etc.

FLAK

WKR
I always carry ; SW442 or a LCP .380.
In Grizz country, Glock 30SF converted to .45 Super.
Occasionally some flavor of .357 or 40SW.
If I have a rifle in hand prolly just the LCP.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see a need for one in Colorado. The only time I would have ever drawn one was one night I came back from scouting and I could see someone else's flashlight in my tent. It turned out to be an 80 year old guy and his daughter. They had gotten lost during a day hike and were all out of food and water. They also had no warm clothes. That dude might have had a heart attack if he found himself looking down the barrel of a pistol.

Do you guys carry a sidearm during rifle season? :) I typically hunt in Colorado, and have a 44mag 5.5" but it's too big to lug around the woods.

No need to carry a sidearm during CO rifle season. Maybe keep one in camp/truck if you are truck/base camping.