Rifle Season Sidearm

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
No need to carry a sidearm during CO rifle season. Maybe keep one in camp/truck if you are truck/base camping.

So elaborate on why there is no need to carry during CO rifle season. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
I carry a G30 with my rifle when I hunt.
I have a .44mag, I don't carry it because of the weight. I would like to get a G29.
I don't use my pistol to hunt, just for backup. I am faster with my pistol on follow up shots than with my bolt action rifle if an animal charges.
I rather have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

My buddy was bow hunting (deer) when a bear chased him.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR

What are the crime stats during CO rifle season? How many hunters killed or attached by people, animals, or granola backpackers? I would be interested to see if they are significant enough to require 2 firearms to be safe.

As long as there are mountain lions and rattlesnakes here in California I will carry a sidearm while rifle hunting. Mine is a .44 mag. All hog hunters out here that I've seen carry .44 mag sidearm out of necessity when hog hunting and usually carry that practice to deer hunting.

You have a rifle why carry more dead weight? During CO archery I carry an XDM 10 MM backcountry but for rifle it stays in camp. Unlikely you'll ever be attacked by black bears (keep a clean camp and stay away from cubs), moose (rut is mostly over by rifle season), and mountain lions (you'll probably hit the lottery first). But if it makes you feel better or safer carry away👍!

Last edited:

11boo

WKR

For me, I’m already carrying a weapon with much more horsepower than any pistol.
That said, I always carry during bow. I mostly always carry, just not when I’m already packing a long gun.

Azdon

FNG
I sometimes carry a .357 mag revolver in a shoulder holster when hunting near the Az/Mexico border.

njdoxie

WKR
I always carry a sidearm in every season or location when permitted. I CCW 24/7 so I dont make an exception because I have a bolt gun in hand. Weight is minimal and worth it for me. I've heard some crazy stories about guys trying to claim other folks animals and stuff getting heated. I'll always carry one regardless for my own personal protection.
Why not just use your rifle to "handle" the situation?

Vandy321

WKR
For rifle, yes. Bears and cats are fast and I'm admitedly scared of them. Sure most will run at the sight of us, but one might not. Could get one round off from a bolt gun, but i doubt a second if being charged. And if they end up chewing on you first, I'd imagine a pistol is the only thing you'd have a chance at getting on target that close quarters.

Archery, even more so.

No intention of being a statistic...or a meal.

G19, w/buffalo bore hardcast. Gunfighter Inc chest holster, sits comfortably under my bino harness. Not a large caliber, but i shoot it well and its familiar.

I carry same thing I carry every day, just switch ammo up outdoorsmans or Underwood penetrators . P365

During rifle seasons I don’t carry a pistol, well this year I am going to carry my 22lr to shoot grouse. I always see grouse and wish I had a small pistol with me.

When it’s not rifle season I usually have a pistol with me, but I also usually have at least one of my small kids with me. I am a big guy and it is unusual for a mountain lion to attack someone my size, but almost every year I hear of a little kid going missing from a mountain lion attack. So I usually carry to protect them.

As far as people go, my experience is that most people I meet in the woods are good descent people. On the other hand Denver is a completely different story.